SPorts Huddle: Jerry Kill - 4/3/11

DL65

Reaction score
Today's Sports Huddle comments (synopsis):

1) A lot (hundreds) of high school football coaches and fans attended yesterday's controlled scrimmage.

2) Mike Max said people are talking about the fast paced tempo of the practices.

3) 1,200 high school coaches attended Friday's football clinic in which coach kill was the keynote speaker. Kill saluted the coaches and the clinic's organizers. He appreciates and wants their support.

4) Yesterday's scrimmage: "It's baby steps" . . . good effort . . . teaching them how to practice and play the game . . . seeing improvement . . . several teaching moments yesterday and then cited Keanon Cooper (did not give up on the play and chased down the runner and stripped the ball away from the runningback.).

5) Lack of numbers: It continues to be a wait and see proposition. Will know more after spring ball as well as academic issues of some players.

6) Marqueis Gray: "He's made a lot of progress." He hasn't played quarterback during the past few years (injured his senior year in high school ant not much at Minnesota). He's learning the position and has handled all the information they've thrown at him.

7) Running Backs: "Test drove them yesterday." There'll be depth at RB. They've got things to learn about blocking. Sid asked about Lamonte Edwards and Kill said he's a good athlete that's played defense as well as running back in high school. "You can't have a guy like Edwards standing next to me on the sidelines. If I do, I'll be the next guy fired."

8) Stoudermire: He's learning the cornerback position . . . great athlete that needs to be settled in (played several positions during his tenure at the U) . . . there may be a situation or two in a game where'll he be on offense. (Sid said, after Kill was finished on today's program, Stoudermire has been practicing with the offense as well as defense. (He alluded to depth conditions.)

9) Beal: Still learning the new schemes . . . thinking too much now . . . it's been awhile since he's played, so the rust needs to be knocked off.

10) Royston has practiced but has not had contact yet, but hope to get him in some contact situations before spring ball ends. Again, needs to knock the rust off . . . hasn't played since 2009.

11) Practices are open to the public and have been averaging 150 -175 people at the first five practices. Practices this week: Tuesday and Thursday at 2:40 p.m. and Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
Next week: Tuesday and Thursday at 2:40 p.m. and Friday at 7:00 p.m. under the lights at TCF Band Stadium.

12) Juco recruiting: We're on the search . . . we'll be out for five weeks after spring ball (in May). Never know where you'll find a late qualifier, but we won't waste a scholarship(s).

13) Talked to the players yesterday (at length) why you shouldn't quit. Young people have a tendency to quit when things get tough. Adulthood: things get tough, tragedies occur and you can't quit . . . give in to someone and they'll exploit you. You need to play through tough times (he then again cited Cooper's play yesterday (not giving up on the play and stripped ball . . . teachable moment)).

Go Gophers!!

Addendum:

Marqueis Gray will be on the Sports Huddle at 11:05 a.m. today.

Go Gophers!!

7) Running Backs: "Test drove them yesterday." There'll be depth at RB. They've got things to learn about blocking. Sid asked about Lamonte Edwards and Kill said he's a good athlete that's played defense as well as running back in high school. "You can't have a guy like Edwards standing next to me on the sidelines. If I do, I'll be the next guy fired."

Thanks for posting these - I usually don't get to listen to the broadcasts.

Re #7, didn't he also say that Lamonte also has an extra gear that if he gets in the open, he's gone? Or was that someone else?

Thanks for the updates DL65, they are much appreciated. Do they still podcast the sports huddle interviews on the CCO website?

Young people have a tendency to quit when things get tough.

That is because adults have given too many of the youth of today too much on a silver platter.

The only way to learn about and deal with adversity is to experience adversity.

nc2mn,

You're correct! He did say Edwards has an extra gear!!!

Go Gophers!!

Geezo Beezo . . . I assume they still have podcasts on WCCO website, but I don't know for sure that they do.

Mentioned he likes the athletes at RB. Said he will re-evaluate that position at the end of spring to see if any of those athletes would be better at other positions. Then he specifically mentiones Edwards, said he has played D before. We'll have to keep an eye on this one. If Kill likes what he see's from Wright this summer I wouldn't be surprised to see Edwards maybe get a move to D? A lot to happen between now and when something like that would happen though....

Mentioned he likes the athletes at RB. Said he will re-evaluate that position at the end of spring to see if any of those athletes would be better at other positions. Then he specifically mentiones Edwards, said he has played D before. We'll have to keep an eye on this one. If Kill likes what he see's from Wright this summer I wouldn't be surprised to see Edwards maybe get a move to D? A lot to happen between now and when something like that would happen though....
I was thinking the same thing, it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

Thanks DL65

Thanks for the updates - I really look forward to them and I listen to the broadcasts!!

11) Practices are open to the public and have been averaging 150 -175 people at the first five practices. Practices this week: Tuesday and Thursday at 2:40 p.m. and Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
Next week: Tuesday and Thursday at 2:40 p.m. and Friday at 7:00 p.m. under the lights at TCF Band Stadium.

Go Gophers!!

:clap::clap::clap:

That is because adults have given too many of the youth of today too much on a silver platter.

You are correct.

Dr. Don is spot on. The WORST thing has to be all the positive affirmation parents who gives their kids everything they want on demand... I love you, you're the best, you're special, bff, let me kiss your ass by buying your love. Unfortunately, too many adults focused on being friends with their kids instead of being parents to them.

Dr. Don is spot on. The WORST thing has to be all the positive affirmation parents who gives their kids everything they want on demand... I love you, you're the best, you're special, bff, let me kiss your ass by buying your love. Unfortunately, too many adults focused on being friends with their kids instead of being parents to them.

You have seen this transition happen in the coaching world also. You use to have the Bobby Knights scattered all throughout the coaching world. Now there are probably more Tim Brewsters out there who would rather sell the coaches as being BFFs rather than being an authoritative figure. Kill is definitely today's Bobby Knight type.

I wonder how long old timers have talked about how things are too easier for the younger generation. I'm not saying there isn't much validity to it, but it kind of comes off like one of those "young people of today" comments.

You have seen this transition happen in the coaching world also. You use to have the Bobby Knights scattered all throughout the coaching world. Now there are probably more Tim Brewsters out there who would rather sell the coaches as being BFFs rather than being an authoritative figure. Kill is definitely today's Bobby Knight type.

It's even worse in youth/high school sports. It's amazing what some parents will do when their kid "isn't playing enough" or if their kid is unhappy for some reason. My mom has coached junior high sports for 20+ years and she talks all the time about how it has changed, especially in the last 10 or so years.

If I were to complain to my parents about playing time and/or the coach when I was in high school, they would have told me to suck it up and work even harder. Even if they felt I should have been playing more often themselves, not in a million years would they have said anything to my coach and I'm so glad they didn't. It's one thing to defend your kids, but dealing with adversity is something all kids should go through. Letting them whine and complain all the time or even quitting mid-season just gives them the idea that they can get whatever they want.

I wonder how long old timers have talked about how things are too easier for the younger generation. I'm not saying there isn't much validity to it, but it kind of comes off like one of those "young people of today" comments.

At least since the 8th and 5th Century BC.

"The quote may have come from Plato's Republic Book 4, where Socrates
is quoted saying the following regarding things that he thinks have
been neglected: "I mean such things as these: ? when the young are to
be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by
standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what
garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair;
deportment and manners in general.
You would agree with me? ? Yes."

Here's another one:
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words
... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)."

Turns out Hesiod blamed Bewster and Maturi!

I feel like every generation says this about the next.

Here's another one:
words

:)

Hesiod thought that Adam Weber would have been an all big 10 TE.

Here's another one:
words

Turns out they were wrong, because Greece is doing great today.

It sound to me that Edwards needs to learn protection, routes, and chip blocks. If he has another gear as I thought he had, he could be a second coming of Darrell Thompson. We have had a running back like that since he left. Large, punishing, and top end speed.

Pitt Gopher, you are probably right, but in reality, each generation has it easier than the last. Can you imagine going across the country in a covered wagon??? Drive thru most of the country and look where roads are and what is on both sides.

Pitt Gopher, you are probably right, but in reality, each generation has it easier than the last. Can you imagine going across the country in a covered wagon??? Drive thru most of the country and look where roads are and what is on both sides.

Yeah, but that is all relative. I do agree that in general, technology has made our lives physically easier day to day but there are other hardships with modern living that earlier generations/civilizations didn't have to deal with.

I feel like every generation says this about the next.

True, it does seem like that. However, it doesn't mean that it is not true the last few generations.

I doubt here has not been this much coddling of kids in general in many generations. We are living in the era of everyone deserves a trophy and parents trying to be BFF's of their kids rather than proper parenting. Maybe we'll finally see a swing the other way. I'm hoping people are coming to their senses. Whether one agrees with NJ Gov. Chris Christie's politics, most find his approach a refreshing change. Same with watching the 60 Minutes episode on high school coach Bobby Hurley.

True, it does seem like that. However, it doesn't mean that it is not true the last few generations.

I doubt here has not been this much coddling of kids in general in many generations. We are living in the era of everyone deserves a trophy and parents trying to be BFF's of their kids rather than proper parenting. Maybe we'll finally see a swing the other way. I'm hoping people are coming to their senses. Whether one agrees with NJ Gov. Chris Christie's politics, most find his approach a refreshing change. Same with watching the 60 Minutes episode on high school coach Bobby Hurley.

There are lots of variables that go into parenting and lots of different ways to produce good, responsible kids.

Sports Huddle

Another thing Kill mentioned on Sunday re Lamonte Edwards was his speed. Something to the effect that when he gets a step "he's gone". I liked that, but then he implied that he could be used on D. I didn't like that as much.

Another thing Kill mentioned on Sunday re Lamonte Edwards was his speed. Something to the effect that when he gets a step "he's gone". I liked that, but then he implied that he could be used on D. I didn't like that as much.

Coach Kill is evaluating the players and trying to determine where they fit best into his system based on the current depth and experience at each position.

If that is on D for Edwards, then so be it. Coach Kill also said that "You can't have a guy like Edwards standing next to me on the sidelines. If I do, I'll be the next guy fired." What position best fits him and will allow him to see the field other than special teams where he will likely be with his speed.

Top Bottom