Sports Huddle: Coach Kill Summary - 3/10/12

DL65

Reaction score
I lost my internet connection just prior to the show, so I missed the opening. Also, coach kill was not on for the full half-hour, but some of the questions provided on GopherHole were used.

1) When I got back online, coach kill was talking about allowing the public to attend spring practices: He said people play and practice hard when fans are present . . . the Gophers are the State's team". . . want to give people a feel how we coach . . . how they play."

2) Sid gave an extensive list of starting dates of coach Kill's summer camps and how the youth can apply/register online.

3) Sid asked about the difference this year for spring practice as opposed to last year: "Biggest thing, we know much more about the kids . . . kids will be more prepared . . . good off season training." He then referenced what he calls the 80-20 Rule: "Still a few that can't figure it out." However, he said he was pleased with a large group of players; better than a year ago." When the freshmen arrive, caoch Kill said 1-4 freshman will fill or placed in spots of need . . . "Still fight depth problems." He further related information about spring ball: "Will try to have a spring game." He said it's good to have a game for the kids and fans. In previous stops, the winning team members were fed pork and the losing team beans (feeding into (no pun intended) the concept of competition). Kill said he was not sure what they'll do in rewarding the winning team and what the losing team will get.

4) Dave Mona then recognized GopherHole and the questions GopherHolers provide. He said he had about a dozen questions and would ask as many as time would allow. (It was rapid fire.)

a) Punting question/woes (GophersinIowa question): Kill did not mention any punters in particular. He said they're spending a lot of time trying to correct the problems of last year. He said some visiting coaches have worked with the punters including a Minnesota Viking coach. They're working on better protection for the punters, too. "We have to get better (in punting game)." He went on to say if they get the punting problems corrected, which is extremely important that they do, they could win two (2) additional games. Going to put pressure on the punters in practice (oncoming players) and work outside in all sorts of weather conditions . . . he mentioned in particular "windy conditions."

b) Health-related questions about Peter Westerhaus and Connor Cosgrove (Questions were asked by Shielder and husker70): Kill said Westerhaus came in at 205 lbs and is up to 228 lbs. He referenced the injury he sustained on vacation last year . . . "He's come back" and will participate in spring drills. Connor Cosgrove is "moving in the right direction." He mentioned Cosgrove undergoing treatments for his bout with cancer . . . he will not be participating in spring ball.

c) Monitoring academics of 63 students last year (question by Saluki07): He said they continually follow the students in their course work . . . you don't change what you're doing when you experience success (referencing the team's great academic improvement in the first semester). He said some of the kids are in really tough classes (need to make sure they succeed through monitoring). He said sometimes one gets blindsided . . . a player comes in with a 3.0 GPA and then ends up doing 1.67 work.

c) Quick kicks (question raised by DL65): Kill said they have a quick kick in their play book. He said the quarterback in previous stops did the quick kicking duties.

5) Mona asked if coach Kill had personally experienced a concussion: Short answer, yes. He then referenced his size and playing linebacker in college (there was a chuckle in his voice when referencing his size). He went on to say that medical technology has improved and is applied to protect the players. He said when he played, players sometimes would play on sprained knees, which in fact were torn ACLs.

6) Sid asked who would miss spring practice: Kill said they'll know more on Monday or Tuesday. He said there were about 13 players in question a few weeks ago, but now it's down to a few: Jimmy Gjere, Marcus Jones, and Brendan Beal were referenced. Beal is definitely out for spring drills. They're waiting for their medical report/clearance.

7) After Kill had left the show, Mona said he knew the answer to a question about state tours (question by DL65): There are no multi-city tours scheduled this year. Sid said he thought they did the tour last year because Kill was newly hired and a means to introduce him and generate enthusiasm.

Go Gophers!!

P.S. Next week I have a commitment that will prevent me from listening and transcribing the show. Nevertheless, I'll start a thread asking for questions to be considered by Dave Mona. Dave appreciates your questions. He would have asked more of the questions submitted, if coach Kill had been on for the full segment.

As always, thanks DL.

I'm intrigued by the Beal situation. He was in pictures that were posted during off-season team competitions the other day but will sit out this spring. I'm wondering if/what he participated in during the team stuff.

Anyone catch the "position change" discussion? I zoned out...

Is Jimmy Gjere still questionable for spring ball because of his concussion?

Thanks DL65! Hope we can get the punting situation figured out. That can be a big advantage or disadvantage for us.

Kendell-Mcgee moving to TE, Said he liked some of the new corners enough that Wells and Vereen may move to safety, both are over 200 pounds now.

I like the idea of Vereen moving to safety. Since we now have some decent depth at corner, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have multiple CBs on the bench that are better cover guys than whoever ends up at safety. This is further confirmation that when the staff says they're going to play the best guys, they truly mean it and will make it happen even if it involves some position changes.

Thanks DL, feel free to 'recycle' any of the unanswered questions from last week regarding spring practice.

I like the idea of Vereen moving to safety. Since we now have some decent depth at corner, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have multiple CBs on the bench that are better cover guys than whoever ends up at safety. This is further confirmation that when the staff says they're going to play the best guys, they truly mean it and will make it happen even if it involves some position changes.

That would be really nice if we had enough CB depth to move both Vereen and Wells to S. In our defense, assuming we still need to blitz as much as we blitzed last season, our S's really need to have good coverage skills. It was partially what made Kim such a good player for us (and why I think he will find a spot in the NFL), he had to cover like a CB. He was often covering WRs one on one without any help.

Top Bottom