Sporting News: 'It's Enrico Pallazzo!': The inside story of 'The Naked Gun' baseball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sporting News:

For “The Naked Gun,” the filmmakers recruited an all-star list of sports broadcasters.

The lineup: Curt Gowdy, Dick Enberg, Jim Palmer, Mel Allen, Tim McCarver, Dick Vitale and, of course, psychologist Dr. Joyce Brothers.

That’s obviously a strong list. But it wasn’t as strong as it could’ve been.

“We wanted to use Vin Scully as an announcer, and Vin Scully wanted to do it because he loved ‘Airplane!’ But they wouldn’t let him do that,” David Zucker said. “… I’m sure nowadays it would probably be fine. But (the Dodgers) were skeptical about being identified with this.”

(Nobody with the Dodgers recalled Scully being denied permission to be in the film, a spokesman said.)

In the film, the announcers mostly provide routine commentary, but also have a couple of standout moments — including the aforementioned decapitation at the outfield wall, to which Allen gives a hearty laugh followed by his signature, “How about that?!”

“And then Dick Enberg is just open-mouthed, appalled at it,” David Zucker said. “I love those shots.”

The announcers had no problem getting into Hollywood versions of themselves.

“They said, ‘Listen: first-class ticket to LA, $7,500 — I think that’s what it was,” Palmer said, recalling the mental checklist that followed. “I go, ‘OK, one-day shoot, first-class ticket, I’ll go play volleyball, the weather will be nice, it won’t be hot like Baltimore.’

“So I said I’ll go. I had no idea what it was going to be. … Little did I know it was going to become one of the classics.”

The announcers spent a leisurely day on a sound stage, nowhere near the field at Dodger Stadium, doing take after take and getting a good taste of the Hollywood process.

“We all knew each other. It was a hoot. It was fun,” McCarver said, though he does have one regret.

“I wanted to meet (Elvis Presley’s former wife) Priscilla Presley, but didn’t,” he said. “I’m from Memphis and had met Elvis several times. So I was disappointed with that.”

The day was revelatory for Palmer, the Hall of Fame pitcher who still broadcasts games for the Orioles.

“That’s when I realized that Dick Vitale doesn’t scream and yell (all the time),” he said of the famously boisterous basketball broadcaster, who, ironically, has no featured lines in the final cut of the film. “You could hardly hear him. He was so quiet.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...ium-enrico-pallazzo/zztjoa4obui818oo9waqjyf34

Go Enrico Pallazzo!!

That's an underrated movie in my mind, and everything about the baseball scenes are perfect. From the blooper reel with the lion, to Enrico Polazzo, to the announcers.

Top Bottom