Spit take on the StPPP this AM

Reaction score
I open up the sports section of the StP paper, and there's a picture of Mike Grant. My first reaction was WTF, but I guess it wouldn't officially be a Gopher football coaching search if his name didn't get mentioned.

To Grant's credit he realizes he isn't a realistic candidate, which is an improvement over last time around. Actually, I can't see how hiring Grant in 2007 would have turned out much worse than Brewster. Not much better, either. At least we would have had a pipeline to EPHS.

Lazy reporting by the PP, though.

If Mike Grant really wants to be the Gopher coach some day, you'd think he would be taking the appropriate career steps.

I'm sure a lot of smaller D1 programs would hire him as a position coach. From there he could get a coordinator job, etc.

The last case of a high school to FBS jump is Todd Dodge at North Texas. He went 79-1 and won 4 of the past 5 Texas State Championships in his division. Coached Chase Daniel and Greg McElroy in the process.

He's currently 6-37 at North Texas.

It just doesn't work, so why do they even write articles even pondering it at this point?

It won't happen, the paper just couldn't get anyone more interesting to interview.

Plus the shock value of seeing his name as a candidate could generate some false interest.

I'm not concerned. He won't be considered.

There is a sentiment among the average fan that we need to find someone with local ties. It's nauseauting. Just yesterday a co-worker of mine was telling me that they need to hire Trestman because "it's crucial that we get someone with ties to the university". Ummm, no! It's crucial to get the best coach that we can. If it comes down to a tie between 2 guys then I'd give the tie-breaker to the guy who has ties to the University.

I liked the idea of Trestman initially, but I have cooled on him a whole lot since then.

The value of having a Minnesota guy is great if it is the level of commitment which would lead him to do anything the U wanted him to. For example, if he were offered the job of Quarterbacks coach/OCoordinator at the U, would he take it? If not, then he certainly isn't worth hiring as head coach simply because he has ties to the U.

Would he be on any other BCS school serious candidate list? crickets chirping..... Next.

I cooled on Trestman A LOT...

I liked the idea of Trestman initially, but I have cooled on him a whole lot since then.

The value of having a Minnesota guy is great if it is the level of commitment which would lead him to do anything the U wanted him to. For example, if he were offered the job of Quarterbacks coach/OCoordinator at the U, would he take it? If not, then he certainly isn't worth hiring as head coach simply because he has ties to the U.

...after reading this analysis on the FBT site. MV makes a good point about the CFL. The Montreal Allouttes are to football as the St. Paul Saints are to baseball. After Brewster, alarm bells should be going off at 100dB for any guy who's pushing 50 and couldn't get or hold down at least a coordinator's job in the NFL or college. Plus Trestman looks like a dork in that picture. The kind of dork who isn't allowed to live within a quarter mile of an elementary school.

To Grant's credit he realizes he isn't a realistic candidate, which is an improvement over last time around.

Being able to admit that a job is over your head is not easy to do. A self-evaluation of Gopherhole posters would indicate that north of 90% of us are qualified to be the AD at the University of Minnesota.

And over half of us must think we could be the coach ourselves. And most of us haven't even won a 5-A HS championship.

Being able to admit that a job is over your head is not easy to do. A self-evaluation of Gopherhole posters would indicate that north of 90% of us are qualified to be the AD at the University of Minnesota.

And over half of us must think we could be the coach ourselves. And most of us haven't even won a 5-A HS championship.

Great post! I'm still laughing as I type this response.

Top Bottom