Spit Ball Some Transfer Gets Here

They may also never be as good as they got without the opportunity to develop or grew like they did by playing in the Summit. Rhode chose to commit early and didn’t let the big schools in when they tried. With the portal, most schools are smart to just let someone else hit or Miss on them and develop them for you. P6 schools don’t get to be young very often.
Mn must build with very limited portal. Not sustainable we've been told.

He’d be better. He is taller, more mobile, a better dribbler, a better passer, and a better rebounder.

I think Garcia is the gophers best player, I just think Nelson is better.

I do not know Nelson. Early in the the season Garcia to me was a bit of a disappointment. He took his lumps early and today is the leader and best player on the team. I believe he has helped mold and shape the young players and is irreplaceable come next year.

So is this supposed to say that earlier in Feb I said Garcia was the gophers best player and irreplaceable?

Obviously I would trade up, every GM would. But if we don’t get Nelson (99.5% not happening, Garcia is still our best player and we can’t lose him)

So is this supposed to say that earlier in Feb I said Garcia was the gophers best player and irreplaceable?

Obviously I would trade up, every GM would. But if we don’t get Nelson (99.5% not happening, Garcia is still our best player and we can’t lose him)

Here's a tip. If you refrain from making so many pronouncements, you'll have fewer statements to back away from later.

Here's a tip. If you refrain from making so many pronouncements, you'll have fewer statements to back away from later.
What do I need to back away from? My statement stands. Garcia is our best player. But if we can get an upgrade to him at the same position who would turn that down,

Doesn’t seem like something that anyone would have to backdown from, that seems logical.

Last year we were connected to a lot of names but few seemed seriously interested Cooper was a decent get and of course Garcia but hometown helped,Samuels a desperation. I’m not holding my breath for a good player Thought last year we had a starting two guard spot in the Big Ten open and we couldn’t get any takers. That baffled me. This year probably two starting spots for the right players or major minutes for a pair of guards. You would think they would be two good players that would jump at that opportunity.

Last year we were connected to a lot of names but few seemed seriously interested Cooper was a decent get and of course Garcia but hometown helped,Samuels a desperation. I’m not holding my breath for a good player Thought last year we had a starting two guard spot in the Big Ten open and we couldn’t get any takers. That baffled me. This year probably two starting spots for the right players or major minutes for a pair of guards. You would think they would be two good players that would jump at that opportunity.

I think in both of the past off-seasons, Ben Johnson experienced portal fatigue. Transfer recruiting appears to be much more competitive than normal prep recruiting. You're dealing with players who are older, more knowledgable, and more aware of their comparative worth. There is also less guessing about a player's relative short-term value so you're less likely to discover "diamonds in the rough" that escape the notice of your competitors.

In addition to portal fatigue, I think Ben only wanted to spend so much time in the portal during the past two off-seasons because he wanted to spend more time securing his eventual high school recruits. This off-season he should feel like he's recruiting for his life and probably should commit to spending as much time as necessary on the transfer portal.

Last edited:

I think in both of the past off-seasons, Ben Johnson experienced portal fatigue. Transfer recruiting appears to be much more competitive than normal prep recruiting. You're dealing with players who are older, more knowledgable, and more aware of their comparative worth. There is also less guessing about a player's relative short-term value so you're less likely to discover "diamonds in the rough" that escape the notice of your competitors.

In addition to portal fatigue, I think Ben only wanted to spend only so much time in the portal during the past two off-seasons because he wanted to spend more time securing his eventual high school recruits. This off-season he should feel like he's recruiting for his life and probably should commit to spending as much time as necessary on the transfer portal.
When do most of these kids really commit to the new schools though? Is it a window within a month to a month and a half following the end of the NCAA tourney? Can the gophers (if they lose tonight) hypothetically get a kid locked in for next year versus a team that is in the NCAA tourney (since their roster is in flux until after the tourney)? What are the rules around locking in portal commitments?

When do most of these kids really commit to the new schools though? Is it a window within a month to a month and a half following the end of the NCAA tourney? Can the gophers (if they lose tonight) hypothetically get a kid locked in for next year versus a team that is in the NCAA tourney (since their roster is in flux until after the tourney)? What are the rules around locking in portal commitments?

Varies from player to player. Some commit pretty quickly. Some commit very shortly after entry (makes you wonder about tampering). Others wait it out. Some enter the portal but return to their teams. Some participate in NBA camps before returning so they take longer than most. There are still players committing into July and probably some into the early days of August. There is a deadline for entry into the portal for automatic eligibility the following season but I don't know when that is this year.

Here's an interesting player. Freshman at Lamar, not highly rated, but had a very good freshman season albeit against lower competition. Listed as a point on 247 but seems like more of a 2 guard.

Nate Calmese

In addition to portal fatigue, I think Ben only wanted to spend so much time in the portal during the past two off-seasons because he wanted to spend more time securing his eventual high school recruits. This off-season he should feel like he's recruiting for his life and probably should commit to spending as much time as necessary on the transfer portal.
Unfortunately the NIL competition is highest in the portal. I'm not sure that our approach to it is going to make it easy. That said- he has to get it done.

Those are schools CBJ has to beat out to keep his job. If we are after guys and the choices are MN, Pepperdine or UNT then we will be in the 2 conference win territory again.

Nothing wrong with trying but if you focus all of your attention on the most desirable objects and you don't get them, the second tier ones will be gone as well. No matter what you might think of someone like Cooper, we certainly could have done worse.

Nothing wrong with trying but if you focus all of your attention on the most desirable objects and you don't get them, the second tier ones will be gone as well. No matter what you might think of someone like Cooper, we certainly could have done worse.
Coulda done worse…. Awww jeez

Top Bottom