Spencer thinks its 3 wins to qualify for NCAAs

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Tollickson thinks the Gophers need just three wins to make the NCAA Tournament. Thoughts...

Yes. I still think that with 3 wins we have an opportunity to make it into the tournament. The big problem here is that the way the team has been playing, is there any possibility of getting 3 more? That will still leave us with 20 wins. A possibility of two top ten wins if NC continues to play like they are.

I think three wins would get us in depending on how we do in that second game in the BTT. If we get blown out by an OSU, or something, we'd probably be out, I'd have to think. Three wins and a tough game against a good team, and we're probably in good shape.

This team has dug their grave, now it's time to lay in it... I agree with Section 201, BTT champs is the only way.

I think 20 wins would probably do it, if only cause when you put the Gophers resume against the other bubble teams, ours is considerably stronger. Our 20 wins, would be better than 20 wins by Clemson, etc. But can we get there? The teams psyche maybe destroyed right now.

They really haven't figured out how to win without Nolen yet. I'm not sure we can pencil them in for one more win let alone 3.

That being said, I'd normally agree that three more wins would make them a solid bubble team, but the problem is that the third win might come against a no. 9, 10, or 11 seed in the BTT--not really helping the resume much.

I think 20 wins would probably do it, if only cause when you put the Gophers resume against the other bubble teams, ours is considerably stronger. Our 20 wins, would be better than 20 wins by Clemson, etc. But can we get there? The teams psyche maybe destroyed right now.

3 more wins? We're talking about @NW, PSU at home, and then either NW, PSU, Michigan, or Iowa in the 1st round of the BTT.

Not exactly murder's row.....

3 more wins? We're talking about @NW, PSU at home, and then either NW, PSU, Michigan, or Iowa in the 1st round of the BTT.

Not exactly murder's row.....

I agree....we SHOULD be able to W next three games. However, we also SHOULD have W last three.....IMO, we need 4 more wins to be in - last two of regular season, opening round BTT, and a "good win" in the quarters.

BTT Champions is not the only way. Getting to the finals will consist of 5 straight wins and put us at 22 total. That will be good enough with the early season quality wins and a couple more good ones in the tournament. I think we will have a decent shot with 3 more wins and have a pretty good shot with 4 more wins.

Like it has been said, our resume will still look quite a bit better than the other 20 win bubble teams and several teams with more wins. If it is determined that Nolen will be capable of playing in the NCAA's are we are sitting at 20 wins, I would expect that to tilt us towards the green.

The bubble is weak. 3 wins puts us right on that bubble. 4 wins (the 4th coming against a solid opponent) and i feel good about our chances.

I think a lot of us have a tendency to just focus like a laser on the Gophers troubles, but there's a lot of other fanbases out there screaming bloody murder as well and wondering if their crappy teams can make the big dance. That's why I said if we can get to 20 wins, I think our resume will look pretty good against others fighting for the same spot. We got wins against UNC, WVU, and Purdue.

A lot of the other bubble teams don't have a SINGLE signficant victory and a TON of bad losses.

They should hope for the #7 seed in the BTT. That likely gets them Iowa (they own Iowa) in the 1st round, then Purdue (very, very beatable) and then the Vadgers (again very very beatable) and then hope Ilinois or Sparty knocks off a complacent OSU club and face Izzo or Weber in the BTT final.

BTT Champions is not the only way. Getting to the finals will consist of 5 straight wins and put us at 22 total. That will be good enough with the early season quality wins and a couple more good ones in the tournament. I think we will have a decent shot with 3 more wins and have a pretty good shot with 4 more wins.

Like it has been said, our resume will still look quite a bit better than the other 20 win bubble teams and several teams with more wins. If it is determined that Nolen will be capable of playing in the NCAA's are we are sitting at 20 wins, I would expect that to tilt us towards the green.

AGREED

It also helps that the field is now 68 instead of 65

Agreed. The only sure locks are OSU, Purdue and sconnie. The only teams definitely out are Indiana, iowa, NW. That leaves 5 teams for probably 2 spots. If we can win our last 2 games somehow that would knock out probably PSU. Michigan loses to MSU and its three teams Illii, MSU and Gophers for two spots of which we have a slim shot. Stranger things have happened-not likely but could happen.

I've been saying 20 gets them in for about a month now. We simply haven't won any games since then. If they win 3 they're in. Without Nolen they won't win more than 1.

They should hope for the #7 seed in the BTT. That likely gets them Iowa (they own Iowa) in the 1st round, then Purdue (very, very beatable) and then the Vadgers (again very very beatable) and then hope Ilinois or Sparty knocks off a complacent OSU club and face Izzo or Weber in the BTT final.

Art, for the 1st time, I like how you think. I just add that this team plays better basketball away from home. When they are away from home, they really play to win.

Go Gophers

Wow, Art said "Vadgers"

I'm impressed. He sure showed me. :cool02:

Of course this is the FIRST time he's EVER used that word. EVER. What a huge step up from the occasional "becky" reference. Of course he never used to say "becky" much either, up until a few months ago...right about the time I started calling him out for what he is (a Badger)

Too much heat for ya big guy??? I can lay off. I'm sure it's all just a BIG coincidence... :cool02:

Wow, Art said "Vadgers"

I'm impressed. He sure showed me. :cool02:

Of course this is the FIRST time he's EVER used that word. EVER. What a huge step up from the occasional "becky" reference. Of course he never used to say "becky" much either, up until a few months ago...right about the time I started calling him out for what he is (a Badger)

Too much heat for ya big guy??? I can lay off. I'm sure it's all just a BIG coincidence... :cool02:

Too much heat? for what?

3 wins with at least one of them coming with a healthy Nolen who contributes to a W may be enough considering how weak the bubble is. Without Nolen's return, I doubt the committee would cut us much slack at 20-12.

4 more wins and we're safely in I think (considering one of them would be against Purdue or OSU).

I think four wins puts us at 50/50. The Gophers have enough terrible losses to neutralize the great early-season wins.

Yes. I still think that with 3 wins we have an opportunity to make it into the tournament. The big problem here is that the way the team has been playing, is there any possibility of getting 3 more? That will still leave us with 20 wins. A possibility of two top ten wins if NC continues to play like they are.

So you think if they go 1-1 in the reg season and finish 7-11 in the B10 and get to the Semi's in the B10 tourney you think they are in?

No way, IMO...but I have been wrong before...

Oh Badger Vandelay...

You can just ignore my posts then. Oh wait, you can't. I wonder why that is. Hmmm. Normally you ignore other people so well.

You're coming off really stupid right now.

I think Spence is drinking the homer Gopher Kool-Aid.

Barring a run to the BTT championship game, I think this team is cooked.

The good news? No premium seating fees for the NIT.

First off, Spencer Tollackson is a moron. I loved his comment, "If Rodney Williams had any idea how to play basketball, he would be posting up the smaller 6'1 guard."

Hey Spencer, Rodney is an NBA prospect. You werent even Croation League talent. He single handedly lost that game against Indiant when he missed EVERY free throw.

First off, Spencer Tollackson is a moron. I loved his comment, "If Rodney Williams had any idea how to play basketball, he would be posting up the smaller 6'1 guard."

Hey Spencer, Rodney is an NBA prospect. You werent even Croation League talent. He single handedly lost that game against Indiant when he missed EVERY free throw.

Spencer lost the game that is

If 3 more wins gets us in, it is one very weak bubble. By the way they have played the last several games I can't see 3 more wins. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Top Bottom