Special Teams: The Gophers Achilles Heel?

hungan1

Reaction score
The post-game highlights of the Nebraska game underscored a weakness in the Gophers' game. Special Teams coverage of punt and kickoff returns is a hole that leaves the Gophers vulnerable. Opponents will exploit it like Nebraska did.

"College Football with SAM" preview of the game gave the Gophers a huge Position Advantage:

Minnesota:
Staff
Offensive Line
Defensive Line
Running Backs
Linebackers
Wide Receivers
Defensive Backs
Tight End

Nebraska:
Quarterback
Special Teams

Despite the advantages, the Gophers were victorious with their poise and great team play where it counted.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

I just don't get the massive overreaction to ST.

FGs: made from 34, missed from 54 (had the leg by a good amount), made game winner
Punting results: punt downed at 1, punt 43 yards w/ no return, punt 48 yards w/ net of 43, punt 37 yards w/ no return,
Kickoffs: we know Kesich can kick it through the end zone. First kickoff with high kick attempt they started at the 18. repeat high kick they got a big return off. kick through the end zone. They thought they had something schematically and it backfired. Don't think they will do this again unless they feel they have an edge.
Kick return: agree that Redding shouldn't be returning the ball. Either fair catch it or give someone else some reps. He has always looked timid returning.
Punt return: 1 return for 10 yards.

So in short, our kicker seems to be solid, our punter is lower middle of the road (though his net yards/punt against Nebraska would have put him 6th in the country last year), and our return game is mediocre. The kicker by far is the most important of them and he seems to be as good as one could hope for a college guy. If that's the "Achilles Heel", this team is going to be more than just fine.

Maybe other reasons he's not out there. More to returning than being fast.
This.

He is a redshirt Freshman with four years to play. It appears he needs seasoning in the developmental program.

During the kickoff return, Rahmir Johnson was able to exploit the Gophers ST coverage being bunched up in the middle for a big gain.

FGs: made from 34, missed from 54 (had the leg by a good amount), made game winner
Punting results: punt downed at 1, punt 43 yards w/ no return, punt 48 yards w/ net of 43, punt 37 yards w/ no return,
Kickoffs: we know Kesich can kick it through the end zone. First kickoff with high kick attempt they started at the 18. repeat high kick they got a big return off. kick through the end zone. They thought they had something schematically and it backfired. Don't think they will do this again unless they feel they have an edge.
Kick return: agree that Redding shouldn't be returning the ball. Either fair catch it or give someone else some reps. He has always looked timid returning.

So in short, our kicker seems to be solid, our punter is lower middle of the road (though his net yards/punt against Nebraska would have put him 6th in the country last year), and our return game is mediocre. The kicker by far is the most important of them and he seems to be as good as one could hope for a college guy. If that's the "Achilles Heel", this team is going to be more than just fine.
Special Teams have been a problem for 7 years. Time to move on from Wenger.

You forgot to mention the roughing the punter on 4 and 22 which is the equivalent of a turnover and just can’t effing happen.

You forgot to mention the roughing the punter on 4 and 22 which is the equivalent of a turnover and just can’t effing happen.
i mean that's fine. Wenger is mediocre as a coach but the players are fine. there's really not a ton that needs to be changed. the penalty was about as weak as they come for a roughing call (running into certainly).

i mean that's fine. Wenger is mediocre as a coach but the players are fine. there's really not a ton that needs to be changed. the penalty was about as weak as they come for a roughing call (running into certainly).
They can surely work on punt & return coverage spacing and alignment.

Seems like last year they were fair catching the majority of the kicks.

I agree. The special teams are good in some areas, not so good in others. I see plenty of room for improvement, but calling special teams an "Achilles heel" is overreacting.

I'm much more concerned about the offense, frankly. We need to get our run game going.

Seems like last year they were fair catching the majority of the kicks.
...until the Iowa kicker laid up every kickoff inside the 5 and forced the returner to return every kick. The return units looked totally lost every time.

Fair catch and fans complain. Return the ball and have a bad return, penalty, etc and fans complain. Tough to have big returns over and over and if you don’t? Fans complain.

Yes.

Fans want excellence on every play. If you think about it, I suppose that's what being a fan is all about. Fan is short for fanatic. That word implies a certain amount of irrationality.

...until the Iowa kicker laid up every kickoff inside the 5 and forced the returner to return every kick. The return units looked totally lost every time.
And it has for seven effing years.
Equivalent of Robb Smith and Mike Sanford.

PJ not always hitting on his assistants.

Yes.

Fans want excellence on every play. If you think about it, I suppose that's what being a fan is all about. Fan is short for fanatic. That word implies a certain amount of irrationality.

True. But I like to think most fans have also seen that sport before. Like I don’t go to volleyball and wonder why every serve isn’t an ace or to baseball and wonder why ever swing isn’t a hit.

Wenger knows too much about the clones.

The Special Teams helped win the game. Not everything is bad about it. They just need to get better at kickoff and punt return coverage.

Top Bottom