Sparty...Badger Game Thread

What a nightmare. My two alma maters arch rivals playing each other in the Rose Bowl. #9 for MSU is an idiot!

As much as I hate to say it, MSU deserved to lose. Giving up the 4th down prayer (with two DBs there?), and then the running into the kicker. Yeah, it was a sell job, but I kept thinking before the play even started - please don't do either of two things: jump off-sides, or run into the kicker.

Just plain stupid, and thus, MSU deserves exactly what they got.

Brew says big 12 champions...

Bwahahahahaha!!!

They didn't call roughing they called running into the kicker and it was 100% the right call. That kid needs to be smart enough in that situation not to hit the kicker because he flat out cost his team the Rose Bowl with the return that Martin had on the punt.

Agreed. Absolutely the correct call. That sparty player should feel like crap because he cost his team a trip to the rose bowl.

Lewis (#9) would have been diving right where he should have. He got blocked back into the kicker.

Wow. I can't believe I just wasted 3 hours of my life watching a game that ended that way. Sparty got raped. What a joke.

Congrats to MSU. Today, you are honorary Gophers. An excruciating, perplexing loss in a game you played well enough to win. How does it feel?

Lewis (#9) would have been diving right where he should have. He got blocked back into the kicker.

You may be right but in the end it doesn't matter. He hit the kicker and he never should have put himself in that position in the first place. There was enough time on the clock that they didn't need a block to have a shot at tying things.

Typical Wisconsin luck job. If Wisconsin didn't have good luck it wouldn't have any luck at all!

That dumbass on MSU (Lewis) should have his scholly revoked; he's obviously not smart enough to play at this (or any) level.

Puke.

If that call isn't made, the ref is sitting out a few games like the guy that called over and back on Virginia Tech at Williams Arena the other night.

If that call isn't made, the ref is sitting out a few games like the guy that called over and back on Virginia Tech at Williams Arena the other night.

You're wrong. They blew the call 100%. They're not allowed to say so on TV. That was not "running into the punter". Not at all.

You're wrong. They blew the call 100%. They're not allowed to say so on TV. That was not "running into the punter". Not at all.

He appeared to run into the punter to me. The Msu player should not have been near the punter. That loss is all on Msu. I don't blame the refs for making that call.

Congrats to MSU. Today, you are honorary Gophers. An excruciating, perplexing loss in a game you played well enough to win. How does it feel?

I think you're on to something. I think Sparty took our bad mojo. The curse has passed to another host.

As much as I hate having the honey BADgers in the Rose Bowl, I am rather intrigued to see this shootout of a game with Oregon. Hopefully donald and daffy take care of business and hang 70 on them!

He appeared to run into the punter to me. The Msu player should not have been near the punter. That loss is all on Msu. I don't blame the refs for making that call.

The BigTen is obviously never going to admit that they blew the inaugural Championship Game. But they did. The ref blew the call. It's not basketball. You actually have to run into the punter. They made the call because Nortman fooled them. It's no more complicated than that.

I didn't care who won. But that was an embarrassing way for the game to end for the whole league.

He ran into the punter's leg. It was cheap, but deserved by rule.

I always thought "running into the kicker" was called when you run into the kicker. The guy flopped big time but you can't argue he didn't run into the guy.

I'm not so upset now that the Rose Bowl is being played on a regular work day starting at 4:00. I'll miss the first half but now I don't care as it's being played between two teams I can't stand.

Nortmann flopped...he sold the penalty, but the guy did run into him. The call was legit. You really can't say he was blocked into the kicker, either. Allen hardly got a finger on the guy as he ran by.

Sucks to see an exciting game end like that, but it was a penalty.

Very impressed by the way MSU played.

MSU gave it away, thanks to the idiot that blitzed the punter. He barely hit him, but these days you can't breath hard on a punter without being penalized for it. Wisky dodged a bullet on that play, IMO.

You don't make the call in that situation. Not with the game on the line. That guy ran into and brushed an extended leg. You call that in the first quarter, you do not call it with the game on the line. It did not affect one thing on that play. You don't call it.

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder

ARTICLE 16.

a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 9-1-16-I, III and VI).

1. Roughing is a live-ball personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.
2. Running into the kicker or holder is a live-ball foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-16-II). Note: Running into the kicker carries a five-yard penalty.
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.
4. The kicker’s protection under this rule ends (a)when he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance(A.R. 9-1-16-IV); or (b)when he carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.
5. When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for running into or roughing.
6. A player who makes contact with the kicker or holder after touching the kick is not charged with running into or roughing the kicker.
7. When a player other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.
8. When in question whether the foul is running into or roughing, the foul is roughing.

b. A kicker or holder simulating being roughed or run into by a defensive player commits an unsportsmanlike act (A.R. 9-1-16-V). PENALTY—15 yards from the previous spot [S27

Therefore it was not running into the kicker. In fact, you could make an argument that the kicker should have been given a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for his sell job. Screw the Badgers.

I can't stand 2 things in college football -Bucky and a Hawkeye. Can't pull for the Big 10 in this one. Go ducks!

Wow, this reminds me of the Iowa fans claiming Gray's football never broke the plane. Best game today by far, played by two solid teams. They both deserved to win. If the Badgers can't control the clock, the ducks will hang 39 by the half. Either way, great game. And yes, that was a penalty for roughing.

He hit the punter on the bottom of his leg. That is the exactly what running into the kicker is. That is going to be called 100% of the time. If your the punter in that situation your job is to go down if anyone comes within a yard of you. Every coach in the country teaches that.

If your the punter in that situation your job is to go down if anyone comes within a yard of you. Every coach in the country teaches that.

In other words, being a punter requires the same skill set you would need to be a world-class soccer player.

I have always disliked Nortman because of the way he used his Gopher committment to get a sconnie offer. The shot of that weasel laughing on the sidelines after his act didn't change my opinion of him.

I get the debate on both sides of the call. After watching the replay I still think it was the right call because there is contact with Nortman's plant leg not just the extended one. The issue for me is not so much was it a foul or was it not a foul, the issue to me is what the hell was that MSU guy doing within 5 yards of him in the first place? There were 4 ways MSU could have screwed themselves on that play.

1. Jump Offsides
2. Muff the punt
3. Get burned by a fake
4. Run into or rough the kicker

There was plenty of time on the clock to get the ball back and move into field goal range. They should have been in punt safe or even better full on punt return mode. That kid never should have been in a position to hit the punter and screw his team. It gets that much worse when you factor in the return that Martin had that would have given them something like first and goal at the 2.

Top Bottom