Sparty as Big 10 champion

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Who else thinks MSU could be one of the most unimpressive Big 10 regular-season champions in recent memory? They're playing a lot of ugly games this season, and they usually look disjointed (except vs. the Gophers), even when they win. A lot of careless, unforced turnovers, atypical for the Spartys. It's pretty obvious Izzo is disappointed how his team is playing. He looked pretty resigned to it last night vs. the outmanned Hawkeyes. I know Raymar Morgan has been sick, but he's pretty much looked like a lost soul all season, even before the mono. Never seen a player of that much ability with such a fragile id. I won't be shocked at all if Illinois puts a beatdown on MSU this weekend, setting the stage for a winner-take-all MSU-Purdue finale.

Crazy thing is, which team leads country in wins vs. the top 50 (9) in the RPI? MSU. Hard to figure.

Never seen a player of that much ability with such a fragile id
I can think of one who played for the Gophers last year, in, coincidentally, Morgan's position.

They seem to take nights off but I kinda like them. With focus they're pretty darn good. I think they might do well in the T. We'll see.

Your point about taking nights off is a good one. I think that's exactly what bothers me about Sparty. The elite teams, the ones that truly WANT TO BE special, don't take many (if any) nights off. Sparty's had too many nights like that this season & I think it's going to bite them in the backside both in Indy and in the NCAA.

Your point about taking nights off is a good one. I think that's exactly what bothers me about Sparty. The elite teams, the ones that truly WANT TO BE special, don't take many (if any) nights off. Sparty's had too many nights like that this season & I think it's going to bite them in the backside both in Indy and in the NCAA.

Every year people seem to doubt Michigan State when the tourney comes around, but Izzo always has his team ready to go. They've had some bad games but so has every top team in the country. MSU is tough inside, insanely athletic, and lucky enough to have a top 3 point guard in the country. I would be shocked if they go out before the elite 8.

I'm not one that usually doubts MSU or Izzo. Sparty/Izzo is clearly the Big 10's bell-cow program and coach since they started their run under Izzo in 1997-98. You make a great point; Izzo & the Spartans are always dangerous in March, when it matters most. But I just think something's missing this season. I'll say Sweet 16 is as far as Sparty gets this season & I wouldn't be surprised by a second-round exit. Hope I'm wrong, because talent-wise they're the Big 10 team best equipped to make a run at Detroit.

Some teams just don't bring it like they should. I think UNC has taken the entire season off and is waiting to crush teams in the tourney. I doubt MSU is talented enough to turn it on when needed. That said, stranger things have happened.

Some teams just don't bring it like they should. I think UNC has taken the entire season off and is waiting to crush teams in the tourney. I doubt MSU is talented enough to turn it on when needed. That said, stranger things have happened.

That worked for Florida during their second title run, but I don't think they are as good as that Florida team. They have a ton of talent (maybe more than Florida) but I think I have the same opinion of UNC as Selection Sunday has of MSU, talented enough to beat anybody but something is lacking. I see them going out before the elite 8.

Top Bottom