Southern Miss fires Head Coach after 1 Season

Are you sure that's the right photo in the link? That looks like a scene from Coach with Luther on the sidelines.

But, but, but, he's a 60 year old white guy. But, but , but he deserved 4 years. I thought only black head coaches were fired early?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ellis-johnson-after-one-winless-season-112712

Not sure the race comments are needed here. Yet another coach bites the dust in a short time frame. There is a gallery in the link of guys that have been fired so far this year. Of the 12 to this point a number of them have been in 4 years or less. Yet many of our fans are foolish enough to think Kill gets the full 7 years no matter how the team is doing. These next two seasons will be huge for Kill, if obvious improvement in conference play is not visible he will get shown the door just like all these other guys.

But, but, but, he's a 60 year old white guy. But, but , but he deserved 4 years. I thought only black head coaches were fired early?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ellis-johnson-after-one-winless-season-112712

Since you love these types of terms. The age card could be played.

BTW Here is a link from the Colorado coach. The earlier statement was most likely made when he had a mic shoved in his face too close to the event.http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Fired-Colorado-coach-Jon-Embree-suggests-he-would-have-needed-shortcuts-112612

Though still raw emotional type statements, these below make some sense.

"(" A choked-up Jon Embree suggested Monday that the only way he could have turned around the University of Colorado's flailing football program in his two years as head coach was to take shortcuts in the classroom and on the recruiting trail.

FBS coaches fired in 2012
FROM SEC TO BC, IT'S R.I.P.
Ugly Sunday adds plenty of names to the list of FBS coaches fired in 2012. See who's been canned.

''If you just hire the next guy and say you've got two years, keep your fingers crossed,'' Embree said at his farewell news conference a day after being fired.") "

Why would you want to react in this manner? It makes you sound like you have some issues.

Why would you want to react in this manner? It makes you sound like you have some issues.

My response is to a poster on the Embree thread who insinuated that only black coaches are fired after 2 years or less. Both Embree and Johnson were fired because they had bad teams that showed no sign of improvement. Period.

Since you love these types of terms. The age card could be played.BTW Here is a link from the Colorado coach. The earlier statement was most likely made when he had a mic shoved in his face too close to the event.http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Fired-Colorado-coach-Jon-Embree-suggests-he-would-have-needed-shortcuts-112612

Though still raw emotional type statements, these below make some sense.

"(" A choked-up Jon Embree suggested Monday that the only way he could have turned around the University of Colorado's flailing football program in his two years as head coach was to take shortcuts in the classroom and on the recruiting trail.

FBS coaches fired in 2012
FROM SEC TO BC, IT'S R.I.P.
Ugly Sunday adds plenty of names to the list of FBS coaches fired in 2012. See who's been canned.

''If you just hire the next guy and say you've got two years, keep your fingers crossed,'' Embree said at his farewell news conference a day after being fired.") "

So the same AD that hired a 59 year old coach suddenly engaged in age discrimination when he turned 60 and decided to fire him?

One of our own Minnesota bread, Jay Johnson, was a finalist last year and former Southern Miss O-C. I wonder if he'll get another legit shot.

He's currently the O-C at Louisiana-Lafayette which went bowling for the first time ever last year and will go again this year.

My response is to a poster on the Embree thread who insinuated that only black coaches are fired after 2 years or less. Both Embree and Johnson were fired because they had bad teams that showed no sign of improvement. Period.

Embree's claims might be baseless, but this isn't a counter-example. Embree took a bad team, and it remained bad. Johnson too a 12-2 team and went 0-12. Johnson's performance compared to what he inherited was much worse.

Embree's claims might be baseless, but this isn't a counter-example. Embree took a bad team, and it remained bad. Johnson too a 12-2 team and went 0-12. Johnson's performance compared to what he inherited was much worse.

It's a perfect counter argument. The claim was made that only black coaches get 2 years or less. That's absolutely not the case as Johnson was fired after 1 season. You can make the argument that Johnson was more deserving of being fired given that his team was good last year, but that's not what I'm talking about.

It's a perfect counter argument. The claim was made that only black coaches get 2 years or less. That's absolutely not the case as Johnson was fired after 1 season. You can make the argument that Johnson was more deserving of being fired given that his team was good last year, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Where was that claimed?

" A choked-up Jon Embree suggested Monday that the only way he could have turned around the University of Colorado's flailing football program in his two years as head coach was to take shortcuts in the classroom and on the recruiting trail."

If it requires classroom and recruiting cheating (doesn't his use of "shortcuts" sound like a euphemism for cheating?) to field a successful college team, then college football needs to be restructured.

Where was that claimed?

From GoGophersRah, post #49 in the Embree thread:

"To which fired second year white head coaches are you referring? Name one who wasn't either titled interim or wasn't the subject of an ongoing or pending NCAA investigation?"

"Name one" isn't actually a claim that no white coaches get fired in the first two seasons. One is a much stronger claim than the other.

Am a little surprised Beckman didn't get canned after 1 year at Illinois. That program is that bad. It's a train-wreck, and it's not going to get any better. Beckman is a very unimpressive guy (see chump move of poaching Penn State, chewing tobacco on the sideline, etc.). He's just not very bright.

The Illinois AD is lucky the Groce hire for basketball looks like a good one, otherwise he'd be getting even more heat.

" A choked-up Jon Embree suggested Monday that the only way he could have turned around the University of Colorado's flailing football program in his two years as head coach was to take shortcuts in the classroom and on the recruiting trail."

If it requires classroom and recruiting cheating (doesn't his use of "shortcuts" sound like a euphemism for cheating?) to field a successful college team, then college football needs to be restructured.

Hate to break it to you but most of the top programs are already cheating to some level in order to get the top talent year in and year out. Just the way it is. The problem is now that coaches have to worry about getting fired after 2 years it gives them that many more reasons to cheat the system in order to win quick and save their job. The more the window shrinks the more likely they are to win by any means neccessary.

I think you are reading the quote slightly wrong. What he trying to say is that for him to have turned the abysmal Colorado football program in such a short period of time (2 years), shortcuts would have needed to be made.

So the same AD that hired a 59 year old coach suddenly engaged in age discrimination when he turned 60 and decided to fire him?

Your original quote:"But, but, but, he's a 60 year old white guy. But, but , but he deserved 4 years. I thought only black head coaches were fired early?" So to answer your question, Yes age could be considered a reason if he (the coach that got canned) felt that way...

This is getting more silly by the moment. First of all. The comments made by Colorado's coach were made after he was fired. Anyone who has dealt with job loss knows that it is right up there with any other major life event including death in a family. During those times people fell, shock, they bargain, they are angry, etc. Sometimes one will even say "stupid" things.

Obsessing over it makes you look like you may have issues beyond someone making a silly statement right after termination.

Wasn't Alvarez 1-10 at Wisconsin his first year? Coaches used to have five years, then Notre Dame cut Willingham loose before that - started a trend, maybe.

Wasn't Alvarez 1-10 at Wisconsin his first year? Coaches used to have five years, then Notre Dame cut Willingham loose before that - started a trend, maybe.

He also inherited a 2-9 team. Losing one win due to some of the growing pains of getting a team to buy into a new system is one thing. I would advocate for cutting and running any coach that turned a 12 win team into a 0 win team at Minnesota (unless there were some very bizarre circumstances, like the new coach discovering a scandal that every player is complicit in, cutting them all, and having to play the season entirely with students who made the team through an open tryout). Hell, maybe we would have been better off if we had cut ties with Brewster after he turned a 6-7 team into a 1-11 team.

I think the casual fan thinks a college program is the same as the NFL. People see how NFL teams turning around quickly and expect the same out of college teams. My problem with this scenario is that the worst college teams, via the draft in the NFL don't get the best players exactly opposite happens the better teams in the NCAA get the best picks typically

Top Bottom