South Carolina says no Problem to $13M Buyout

It didn't work for him in the SEC at a Tier 1 school why did people think it would at a Tier 3?

It's still South Carolina though...other than Spurrier it's been a middle of the road program.

I worked with a woman from there and it's their religion - her daddy made he watch, lol, and they take that losin' crap seriously.

Also no pro sports in the whole state either.

It's still South Carolina though...other than Spurrier it's been a middle of the road program.
It was middle of the road under Spurrier. In his 11 years there he only won more than 9 games 3 times. It is a tough job. SC will never match Georgia or Florida year in and year out and though Tennessee is down right now, it is a better job with better resources. Add to that the Clemson factor right now and the South Carolina job is extremely tough.

I worked with a woman from there and it's their religion - her daddy made he watch, lol, and they take that losin' crap seriously.

We are pretty sports spoiled here.

Mark Dantonio is a USC alum.

Harbaugh May be available soon.

Well, as someone who has two degrees from the U of South Carolina I agree that they take football and losing seriously. And, as others have written, it is a tough job. I was there in '84 when Joe Morrison had that magical year. I had never seen that level of excitement, the entire state was buzzing about Gamecock football. Game days were incredible and getting a ticket was a real chore. The campus was alive with anticipation on the Fridays of home games. However, Morrison was never able to repeat it before dying while still the head coach. My highlight while there was winning the intramural football championship - let's say I was an average student. The finals were played at Williams-Brice Stadium and every time the Gamecocks play a home game on TV and my wife and I are watching I remind her that I have played on that field. She remains unimpressed. Anyway, in this case I agree with the firing, Muschamp was not the answer and never was.

Well, as someone who has two degrees from the U of South Carolina I agree that they take football and losing seriously. And, as others have written, it is a tough job. I was there in '84 when Joe Morrison had that magical year. I had never seen that level of excitement, the entire state was buzzing about Gamecock football. Game days were incredible and getting a ticket was a real chore. The campus was alive with anticipation on the Fridays of home games. However, Morrison was never able to repeat it before dying while still the head coach. My highlight while there was winning the intramural football championship - let's say I was an average student. The finals were played at Williams-Brice Stadium and every time the Gamecocks play a home game on TV and my wife and I are watching I remind her that I have played on that field. She remains unimpressed. Anyway, in this case I agree with the firing, Muschamp was not the answer and never was.

You wife may not be impressed, but more importantly I am(y)(y)(y)(y).

I've always liked the Gamecocks, as I identify with them as a conference underdog and get tired of the same teams on the top of their division most of the time - FLA and GA . I also hope in the other division that MISS and MISS ST can make some noise in the West Division.

Side bar - I skipped my senior prom to play a High School baseball game at the Dome - they rented it out at a fairly reasonable rate and my coach made his one good coaching decision in his life and hooked us up with his friend who coached in the cities to arraign the game. Our team sucked, so it was the highlight of our senior year - hadn't thought about it in a while - thanks for prompting the great memory.

Literally South Carolina’s greatest success has been with retread spurrier and retread holtz

I said failed retread. Neither Holz nor Spurrier were fired from their highly successful stints at Notre Dame and Florida before being hired at SC.

If nothing else, they've been the headwear choice of douchey bros for at least 30 years running:
1605532252136.png

South Carolina had three great seasons in a row, 2011-2013, under Spurrier. They finished ranked top 10 in all three, and top 5 in 2013.

2011 in particular, they beat every team in the SEC East. They just happened to lose to two West teams, while Georgia only lost to SC. Georgia would go on to get thumped in the championship game by LSU. Would USC have been a better pick? Perhaps, but the rules are the rules. I'm sure that 3 point loss at home to unranked Auburn will forever haunt them.

Went on to win Outback/Capital One bowls in each of those three years.

I guess that run was "peak Cock football", and they haven't seen close to that since. (Although Muschamp did win 9 games his second year)

Interesting that Muschamp did well to very well in his second year at both Florida and SC, and poorly the other years.

Dantonio would be an interesting idea. He did indeed play at SC, but grew up in Ohio and has always coached in the midwest. He would turn 65 this coming spring, and was at Mich St for 13 years. I think he intends to stay retired. You never know, though, until you ask.

Mack Brown turned 69 this summer and is in year 2 at UNC, doing pretty well.

hire muschamp here to be the OC. get rid of our guy Sanford. He is not good. period.

South Carolina had three great seasons in a row, 2011-2013, under Spurrier. They finished ranked top 10 in all three, and top 5 in 2013.

2011 in particular, they beat every team in the SEC East. They just happened to lose to two West teams, while Georgia only lost to SC. Georgia would go on to get thumped in the championship game by LSU. Would USC have been a better pick? Perhaps, but the rules are the rules. I'm sure that 3 point loss at home to unranked Auburn will forever haunt them.

Went on to win Outback/Capital One bowls in each of those three years.

I guess that run was "peak Cock football", and they haven't seen close to that since. (Although Muschamp did win 9 games his second year)

Interesting that Muschamp did well to very well in his second year at both Florida and SC, and poorly the other years.

Dantonio would be an interesting idea. He did indeed play at SC, but grew up in Ohio and has always coached in the midwest. He would turn 65 this coming spring, and was at Mich St for 13 years. I think he intends to stay retired. You never know, though, until you ask.

Mack Brown turned 69 this summer and is in year 2 at UNC, doing pretty well.
Usually when you leave a dumpster fire the next program to hire you isn’t a program that is trying to hire someone to clean up a dumpster fire

hire muschamp here to be the OC. get rid of our guy Sanford. He is not good. period.
That would be a bold and out of the box move, seeing how Muschamp's background is entirely on defense. I haven't read something so brilliant on these boards since someone started a thread over on the basketball side asking who the next coach of the team should be before the season has even started.

That would be a bold and out of the box move, seeing how Muschamp's background is entirely on defense. I haven't read something so brilliant on these boards since someone started a thread over on the basketball side asking who the next coach of the team should be before the season has even started.
Your on to something now!

Usually when you leave a dumpster fire the next program to hire you isn’t a program that is trying to hire someone to clean up a dumpster fire
Replacing Urban and Spurrier was cleaning up dumpster fires?

How does the media scrutiny in SC compare to the media scrutiny here in MN?

Replacing Urban and Spurrier was cleaning up dumpster fires?

Yeah the program was a mess after Urban. He left it academically in a terrible place and the "inmates were running the asylum". Muschamp didn't fix it and made it worse it seems. Always thought it was a weird hire by SC. Maybe they thought he'd learned from his past mistakes. Just isn't an elite HC at this point in his career.

Top Bottom