Source: Tubby interviews for Mizzou job...

I doubt it was an interview. More like asking him if he's interested or not.

I think I believe Burwell's report in the Post-Dispatch. I have a hard time seeing Tubby leaving to coach Missouri as a "plan B".

That ad must legitimately be a moron. At this point, they're just making a mockery of themselves.

They need to just hire Gregg Marshall and get itover with.

Not you "who you are" is inexusisible

Source: Tubby is going nowhere. The source? Tubby.

Well I'd be a lot more worried about losing Tubby had he turned us into a sweet 16 team by now. But we're not and won't be next year either. So if he does go, oh well. Maybe that will help get Macturi canned and a practice facility built and we can hire someone younger that can build us a program worth having.

Tubby's not going anywhere. The jobs he might have considered are filled (GT and Arkansas.) He's not going to ditch us in our current condition to take an equivalent job in a weaker conference. Other than possibly $$$ and a newer arena there's nothing inherently better about the Missouri job.

Tubby's not going anywhere.

In general I agree with you.

Other than possibly $$$ and a newer arena there's nothing inherently better about the Missouri job.

But, those aren't just small things. Both are Top 40-ish type gigs, but I think the Mizzou job is a few notches better than the MN job.

But, those aren't just small things. Both are Top 40-ish type gigs, but I think the Mizzou job is a few notches better than the MN job.

If Mizzou is "a few notches" better than Minnesota....I just have one question:

How many notches are on your scale?

If Mizzou is "a few notches" better than Minnesota....I just have one question:

How many notches are on your scale?

Like a ladder rung. Each rung is a notch. Personally, I think Missouri is Top 30-40 type job, all things considered. Minnesota probably a Top 35-45 type of job. Not a lot of difference. As stated, just a few notches.

There are advantages to both. Missouri has a new arena and better facilities. They may have more money, though that's not a given. Minneapolis is > than Columbia and and we aren't anyone's little brother, as they are to Kansas. I would also say a job in the Big 10 right now is also preferable to the Big 12, at least long-term.

In net they are pretty close to a wash, barring some compelling factor (coach from the area, etc.) I'd say both jobs are top 35 and there are about 20 similar jobs between 15-35 you can put in any order and debate. The net difference between them is small. Other schools in this group are the likes of Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, OK State, Stanford, Arkansas, Villanova, Georgetown, GT, WF, etc.

There are advantages to both. Missouri has a new arena and better facilities. They may have more money, though that's not a given. Minneapolis is > than Columbia and and we aren't anyone's little brother, as they are to Kansas. I would also say a job in the Big 10 right now is also preferable to the Big 12, at least long-term. In net they are pretty close to a wash, barring some compelling factor (coach from the area, etc.) I'd say both jobs are top 35 and there are about 20 similar jobs between 15-35 you can put in any order and debate.

I can't argue with any of that. Generally I agree that jobs 25-50 aren't separated by much. Because of that, I put a higher value on a new arena. I've been inside of that building. It is beautiful. It has a practice facility, weight training facility, great training room, locker rooms, lounges, etc. Frankly, it is exactly what we should be doing on our campus RIGHT NOW. But, we're not. I think for the right coach, Mizzou having the better facilities (by far) could be a real difference maker. Upside is better because of that. Not to mention, if a Mizzou coach could ever truly get "in" with the St. Louis high school basketball scene, well, then that totally changes things. STL high school is a hotbed. Problem is Mizzou never has been able to tap it very well.

Couple of other things to consider.....Mizzou also has more deep-pocketed boosters (lots of WalMart $$$), it isn't all bad to be in a "college" town (we hear it all the time from Sid as a reason it is tough to recruit here), admission standards are lower at Mizzou, more "gimme" wins in Big 12.

Let's put it this way, if I were Tubby and Mizzou was throwing an $16 million/7yr deal at me, I would at least have to give pause, all things considered.

Let's put it this way, if I were Tubby and Mizzou was throwing an $16 million/7yr deal at me, I would at least have to give pause, all things considered.

You're probably right. But A) It's very unlikely they're offering him that. And B) we are probably offering him an extension that will leave him with a contract at least in that ballpark.

I don't, Columbia vs Mpls. Not close at all.

Totally depends on what you put a value on.

I have a college friend who actually lives in Columbia. He wouldn't live in MSP for all the money in the world. Winter in MSP in January? Serious? He wants nothing to do with it. And, he's from here.

Incidentally, he's been golfing since late February (some years he has golfed all the way through winter), his son has a chance to play varsity baseball as a freshman and has been practicing outdoors since mid-February, he has shoveled once this winter (none last winter or the year before), and is 100-minutes from anything he'd ever want to do in the big city (KC or STL) without some of the hassles of every day big city life (traffic, cost of living, crime). He and his wife absolutely love living in a Big 12 college town.

I have another friend who lives in Kansas City who thinks I'm nuts living here in MSP. But, then again, I wouldn't want to live in KC.

So, what we think about Columbia or KC or MSP doesn't really matter.

But, someone from the south who wants a more mild winter might think about it.

You're probably right. But A) It's very unlikely they're offering him that. And B) we are probably offering him an extension that will leave him with a contract at least in that ballpark.

I actually doubt they offer him the job at all. I think they think they can do better.

Totally depends on what you put a value on.

I have a college friend who actually lives in Columbia. He wouldn't live in MSP for all the money in the world. Winter in MSP in January? Serious? He wants nothing to do with it. And, he's from here.

Incidentally, he's been golfing since late February (some years he has golfed all the way through winter), his son has a chance to play varsity baseball as a freshman and has been practicing outdoors since mid-February, he has shoveled once this winter (none last winter or the year before), and is 100-minutes from anything he'd ever want to do in the big city (KC or STL) without some of the hassles of every day big city life (traffic, cost of living, crime). He and his wife absolutely love living in a Big 12 college town.

I have another friend who lives in Kansas City who thinks I'm nuts living here in MSP. But, then again, I wouldn't want to live in KC.

So, what we think about Columbia or KC or MSP doesn't really matter.

But, someone from the south who wants a more mild winter might think about it.

Not to make you look too silly but your (or his) Columbia, Missouri weather story is completely made up.

For instance, in late January Columbia, Missouri had a 17 inch snowfall, bringing their season total to 42.5 inches at that time. It was their third 6+ inch snowfall of the season. Yet heclaimed he only shoveled once? Really? I guess they don't require folks to shovel?

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/02/07/snowfall-season-climbs-ranks-snow-records/

Hey, it snowed heavily again in March, pushing the season total to over 50 inches, meaning they had 8 inches from February through March, but he was golfing since February and his son has had outdoor baseball practices in a blizzard? Sure he was.
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/03/14/snow-again/

You and your friend need to have a talk. I think he may be pulling your leg, trying to make you feel bad about the weather here (as if we need help not liking the weather).

You may also want to check your distances to St Louis and KC, since each is over 2 hours from Columbia, without traffic.

There are plenty of reasons for anyone to prefer living in one particular place over another, but those reasons should be based on reality.

And it is 89 in Columbia right now, on April 3rd, in the evening. Awful.

That damn jet stream needs to come 40 miles north. It's all that separates us from a 75 degree day today.

I guess I could give his friend the benefit of the doubt and assume he drives 100 miles an hour, but that sounds like a dangerous place to live.

Not to make you look too silly but your (or his) Columbia, Missouri weather story is completely made up.

For instance, in late January Columbia, Missouri had a 17 inch snowfall, bringing their season total to 42.5 inches at that time. It was their third 6+ inch snowfall of the season. Yet heclaimed he only shoveled once? Really? I guess they don't require folks to shovel?

You and your friend need to have a talk. I think he may be pulling your leg, trying to make you feel bad about the weather here (as if we need help not liking the weather).

I can tell you that he was dodging thunderstorms and golfing in Missouri in late February. He texted me pictures. The first week of March was mostly 65 degree weather (according to him, but I'm sure you can check that to see if he was fibbing).

He told me he only shoveled once. Is he lying? Maybe. I do know what happens in Missouri is you get 4 inches of snow, followed by a day of temps in the 40s or even 50s and the snow is off the pavement fast. Therefore, even with several snowfalls, there is not much need to shovel. What was the temp the days after that March snowfall and what are the odds the snow stayed very long?? That's literally why he likes it there. Snow falls here and stays. Snow falls there and melts. Yet, his kids (when they were younger) got to play in the snow for a short time and enjoy it. He's mentioned that to me countless times. It isn't like here, where if you get 12-inches in December it stays until Feb or March. There, you get six-inches in December and it is usually gone two days later. Actually, his big problem over the years has been ice, not snow. Ice storms can get bad there.

You may also want to check your distances to St Louis and KC, since each is over 2 hours from Columbia, without traffic.

Yes, meant 100 miles, not 100 minutes (obviously). And, it is about a two-hour drive to either KC or STL.

There are plenty of reasons for anyone to prefer living in one particular place over another, but those reasons should be based on reality.

The reality is the weather gets warmer there earlier and stays warmer there later. Winters are much more mild there. For some people (not everyone), that makes Columbia > MSP. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to mislead anyone.

Like a ladder rung. Each rung is a notch. Personally, I think Missouri is Top 30-40 type job, all things considered. Minnesota probably a Top 35-45 type of job. Not a lot of difference. As stated, just a few notches.

By your definitions Minnesota could be the 36th best job and Missouri the 38th and you would be calling Mizzou a couple notches better. :confused:

By your definitions Minnesota could be the 36th best job and Missouri the 38th and you would be calling Mizzou a couple notches better. :confused:

Correct. You are objecting to how I am using the term notch? Change the term if you want, my gosh. Call them rungs, slots, places, spaces, whatever. My point is I think the Mizzou job is SLIGHTLY better. Not much difference. Which I have stated fairly clearly in just about every post on the subject.

Looks like Mizzou found there coach... and it was not Tubby. Supposedly they have agreed to hire Frank Haith.

Oh, on another note if Minnesota gets a practice facility does that make it a better job?

Looks like Mizzou found there coach... and it was not Tubby. Supposedly they have agreed to hire Frank Haith.

The Mizzou fans are in melt down mode and the Miami fans are as happy as can be. The Mizzou AD should be fired for all of his failures the last few years. Miami can now go after Frank Martin who is from Miami, atleast that is what a lot of their fans want it sounds like.

good for frank haith, there always seemed to be a good debate on his future with the program. this should give him job security for a few years.

Top Bottom