Souhan: Run-first Leidner starting to look like ... Tundra Tebow?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Last year, Kill removed Nelson’s redshirt to press him into duty. That seemed like a strange move at the time, sacrificing a year of eligibility for a talented quarterback in a rebuilding program.

Now it makes sense.

Kill knew Nelson wasn’t necessarily taking over the job for the next four years. He knew he’d have other, perhaps better, options.

Leidner, like Nelson, is a more accomplished runner than passer. Leidner, unlike Nelson, can make yards even when four people are hanging from his neck. Leidner finishes runs like he’s been watching old Larry Csonka tapes.

The Gophers aren’t going to become “Air Jer” in six days, so it might be wise to see if Iowa can stop Tundra Tebow.

Go Gophers!!

I didn't read a word of this, but took the liberty of taking clicks away for anyone who wants to.

In his first start, redshirt freshman Mitch Leidner rushed for 151 yards, scored four touchdowns and led the Gopher football team to its most significant victory of the box-of-chocolates portion of the college football season.

Last year, Kansas State’s Collin Klein became known as Prairie Tebow.

Leidner has a chance to become Tundra Tebow.

Tim Tebow — now hosting a late-night infomercial on how not to last in the NFL — popularized the notion of quarterback-as-fullback while leading Florida to a national title. Klein performed a fair impersonation.

Leidner probably isn’t quite ready for a glorifying nickname after one nonconference victory, 43-24 on Saturday over San Jose State, but he borrowed liberally from Tebow’s resume.

He ran over tacklers, pushed crowds of bodies into the end zone, and threw just enough to confirm that the forward pass remains perfectly legal in college football.

The victory, against a tremendous quarterback in San Jose State’s David Fales, established what the Gophers are: A strong and varied running team that has improved on defense and special teams in Jerry Kill’s third season.

If there is any downside to a quarterback running for twice as many yards as he gains passing, it is this: As the Gophers enter the Big Ten schedule, they’re not sure who their starting quarterback is, or whether any of their quarterbacks can throw the ball effectively against quality competition.

Leidner had almost as many rushing touchdowns (4) as completions (5). He completed 5-of-12 passes for 71 yards and took one sack.

Through four games, Gophers quarterbacks have completed 33 passes, a total that has to make Christian Ponder feel a lot better about himself.

“He doesn’t back down from anybody,’’ Kill said of Leidner. “He’s a physical kid. I will say this: All three of our quarterbacks are ready to play. And they’re all that way.’’

Kill said Philip Nelson remains his starting quarterback. Nelson, Kill said, was at “80 percent’’ effectiveness running and could have handed the ball off in an emergency but wasn’t ready to play. Kill also said he was prepared to pull the redshirt off freshman Chris Streveler if Leidner had been lost to injury.

Usually, uncertainty at the quarterback position causes problems. Kill said that’s not the case here, and for once a coach might be telling the truth about that. Nelson is a strong runner who threw the ball effectively at times last year. Kill goes out of his way to praise Streveler. And Leidner averaged 6.3 yards per carry against a team that seemed to figure out pretty quickly that he was the Gophers’ best weapon.

“Both me and Phil can throw the ball,’’ Leidner said. “But when you have a successful running game, you stick with it. San Jose State threw the ball a ton but didn’t put as many points on the board on us. That says something about the running game.

“We can definitely pass.’’

Saying the Gophers can definitely pass is like saying they’re undefeated. It won’t mean much next week if they can’t win at home against Iowa in one of their most favorable Big Ten matchups.

Kill says Nelson is the starter. Maybe Nelson has earned that. Maybe Nelson is better than Leidner in practice. Maybe, as Kill says, he wants multiple quarterbacks ready to play each game, so each can run without trepidation.

Last year, Kill removed Nelson’s redshirt to press him into duty. That seemed like a strange move at the time, sacrificing a year of eligibility for a talented quarterback in a rebuilding program.

Now it makes sense.

Kill knew Nelson wasn’t necessarily taking over the job for the next four years. He knew he’d have other, perhaps better, options.

Leidner, like Nelson, is a more accomplished runner than passer. Leidner, unlike Nelson, can make yards even when four people are hanging from his neck. Leidner finishes runs like he’s been watching old Larry Csonka tapes.

The Gophers aren’t going to become “Air Jer” in six days, so it might be wise to see if Iowa can stop Tundra Tebow.

Who is this guy and why should I care?

I wouldn't even give this idiot a click.

He wouldn't dare go near TCF for fear of being rewarded with seeing someone having a seizure.

New article:

"Write-first Souhan still thinks he's a respected journalist"

You'd better care, GoFor. He is an a$$hole and everyone has one. Just think, we all have a Jim Souhan.

Well, if that's all "Big" Jim is then I've got bigger fish to fry. Little dogs always are big barkers with no bite.

A more realistic reading of the article:

I'm too lazy to come up with a nickname, so let's just throw out Tundra Tebow.

Tim Tebow — looking very fit — now hosting a late-night infomercial on how not to last in the NFL — popularized the notion of quarterback-as-fullback while leading Florida to a national title or two. I don't know, I don't follow college football, I prefer to be rewarded with the sight of middle-aged men painting their faces purple and getting as drunk as possible.

He ran over tacklers (while looking very fit), pushed crowds of bodies into the end zone, and threw just enough to confirm that I don't care about college football.

“He doesn’t back down from anybody,’’ Kill said of Leidner, as it was reported to me by a journalist who actually showed up for the game. “He’s a physical kid. I will say this: All three of our quarterbacks are ready to play. And they’re all that way.’’

Kill also said he was prepared to pull the redshirt off freshman Chris Streveler to show me how fit he is.

Last year, Kill removed Nelson’s redshirt to see how fit he was, that seemed like a strange move at the time, I mean, it's not like he is as fit as me.

Now, I'll throw some completely uniformed BS to make it look like I know anything about what happens on the University of Minnesota campus:

The Gophers aren’t going to become “Air Jer” without my training, I work out a lot.

Tim Tebow — looking very fit — now hosting a late-night infomercial on how not to last in the NFL — popularized the notion of quarterback-as-fullback while leading Florida to a national title or two. I don't know, I don't follow college football, I prefer to be rewarded with the sight of middle-aged men painting their faces purple and getting as drunk as possible.

He ran over tacklers (while looking very fit), pushed crowds of bodies into the end zone, and threw just enough to confirm that I don't care about college football.

“He doesn’t back down from anybody,’’ Kill said of Leidner, as it was reported to me by a journalist who actually showed up for the game. “He’s a physical kid. I will say this: All three of our quarterbacks are ready to play. And they’re all that way.’’

Kill also said he was prepared to pull the redshirt off freshman Chris Streveler to show me how fit he is.

Last year, Kill removed Nelson’s redshirt to see how fit he was, that seemed like a strange move at the time, I mean, it's not like he is as fit as me.

Now, I'll throw some completely uniformed BS to make it look like I know anything about what happens on the University of Minnesota campus:

The Gophers aren’t going to become “Air Jer” without my training, I work out a lot.

Instead of giving Souhan anymore clicks, I'll now rely on U squared to interpret his articles for me. Much more entertaining.

What a transparent softball piece, written no doubt under a "lighten up on the Gophers for a while, Jim" directive from his superiors. He goes out of his way to recant on a joke of a 20/20 hindsight article he wrote last year on Kill pulling Nelson's redshirt, and now we're supposed to believe that the real article Dim Jim would write wouldn't be revisiting Kill's "inability to assess talent" on his own team? This reeks of cowtowing.

And thanks to Breakin' the Plane for saving the clicks. Copy and paste here was the only way I would have even considered reading this hooey.

Highlight of a great day, Can Souhan. The pic here is my new screen saver.

Careful as not to confirm Souhan's quote about cult like behavior. Souhan mailed in a pathetic piece last week and deserved every bit of criticism. I think he still deserves some vitriol albeit to a diminishing degree.

Souhan has never given Kill and chance since he's been here; always finding an avenue of attack, until this piece.

Continuing demands for an apology, or more aptly a better apology, neglect the contrition inherent in his changed tone (from negative to neutral).

Basically, let the man eat his crow. As much as he can be a puke, he can write an enjoyable piece. Otherwise, we allow Souhan's transgression to slip from obvious foul, into a transgression birthing bystander empathy. You'll completely neutralize the punishment. We could use a columnist in the Twin Cities that both writes well (stylistically) and has an open mind about the Gophers. The converse is another Reusse.

He's so fit.

No, he is not. He has a muffin top. That explains why he is sitting behind a bar stool and wearing a loose shirt in his eHarmony pics.

Listened to Souhan's Sunday morning show today. Said he met with Kill last week. Everything was 'off the record'. Said Kill 'get's it' more than anyone he has every talked to in the athletic dept at the U.

Listened to Souhan's Sunday morning show today. Said he met with Kill last week. Everything was 'off the record'. Said Kill 'get's it' more than anyone he has every talked to in the athletic dept at the U.

Was Souhan impressed enough to make a sincere public apology that explains how he now understands what was wrong with his article?

Yeah, I thought so.

Suck a gas pipe, Souhan.

Funny what actually conversing with someone will do for someone's opinion. Perhaps some real journalism is in Jim's future? I won't hold my breath.

Get a grip guys....We get it, you do not like Souhan :clap:

Yeah, tough crowd in here. Jeez, so much for freedom of the press. If you don't like him, don't read him. Free country.

Thought it was a decent column. I questioned pulling Nelson's red-shirt as well, but it happened and we all move on. Only minor point I would add to the column that I think should have been stated is that Leidner's throwing motion has none of the kinks that Tebow's has. I actually think Nelson and Leidner are better passers than their statistics indicate.

Yeah, tough crowd in here. Jeez, so much for freedom of the press. If you don't like him, don't read him. Free country.

Thought it was a decent column. I questioned pulling Nelson's red-shirt as well, but it happened and we all move on. Only minor point I would add to the column that I think should have been stated is that Leidner's throwing motion has none of the kinks that Tebow's has. I actually think Nelson and Leidner are better passers than their statistics indicate.

Don't forget that Leidner's team won a national 7-on-7 tournament in high school. That dude can definitely press the ball. He is just a RFr. Give him some time to adjust to the college game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

You are seriously stealing my thunder, here. That's my meme

Top Bottom