Souhan Reports Tubby is Checking Out Auburn

BTW To The Turd, Troll, Whatever

I e-mailed your BS to Tubby himself. (Yes, I have his private e-mail address)

If you ever were a friend of the Smith family, you aren't any longer.

Agreed. Tubby is obviously willing to leave; he may be actively trying to leave. His statement that "I'm not a candidate for any other job" is not at all convincing to me that he wants to stay here. He could put an end to this stuff with a much stronger statement if he wanted to.

This is becoming Mason-like ... and tiresome. It's only going to hurt the program in the long run. I'd love him to retire as our coach, but it doesn't appear to me that he wants to. If he wants to go, I would like to have it happen sooner rather than later. We saw over the weekend that there are a lot of good coaches out there.

What do you want him to say? He has said he’s not a candidate for any other job, that he loves Minneapolis and that he’s excited about what he’s building here. Does any of that mean he won’t be offered and accept the open job at Oregon (or Auburn or wherever else a job opens)? Of course not. Maybe he’s being less than totally honest, maybe someone will blow him away with an opportunity that he doesn’t currently foresee, but in terms of what he said, I don’t know what more he could do.

Pretend he issued a statement that said “I am so happy at Minnesota that I would be a fool to ever even consider another opportunity that might get presented to me. No matter where it is, how much it pays or how much brighter the prospects for success are at another job, I have told my representatives to tell anyone who contacts them to go to hell. I have asked the University of Minnesota to prohibit me from receiving any incoming phone calls, faxes or e-mails, so I won’t even be tempted. I hope some day to die at the University of Minnesota.”

Would that convince you he was never going to leave? Do you believe that would preclude others from seeking him out? Even if it did, that wouldn’t stop the Dodds and Souhans of the world from speculating.

As long as the outside world views Minnesota as a middling job with marginal capability and interest in being a top tier program, a coach of Tubby’s stature is going to be linked to other openings. Right or wrong, the national perception is that he is an elite coach and that we don’t deserve him and can’t possibly make him happy. That may stop when he builds this into an elite program and still stays, he gets a bit older or he states that he plans to retire. Until then, I don’t see it stopping.

How the U/AD view the Minny bb program:

> As the only D1 program in the entire state, Minny bb is HQ'd in a dynamic, growing metro area with an increasing pool of D1-caliber players augmented by very active AAU development;

> They have a Top 5 national power conference money generator according to NBC/CNBC;

> They are willing to expend nearly $2-million/year on a successful coach with proven recruiting ability...according to most rankings, this puts the U job in the Top 10 salary range nationally;

> A new practice facility is on the way which will enhance recruiting efforts;

> Despite a good deal of local media negativity and indifference, the fan base has been revived and the BTN/ESPN/CBS provide national media coverage thus boosting the program's profile across the country;

> The bb staff has a healthy recruiting budget according to media reports of Smith & Co's travel schedule throughout the nation;

> They love Tubby and want to keep him if at all possible;

> They know that if retaining Tubby fails, there are many successful bb coaches in America and that like in many areas of our society, successful coaches frequently follow the money and perks.

I've followed Big 10 basketball since 1969. Gophers have been a good basketball program most of those years. Minnesota has all the ingredients for basketball success like Wisconsin does.

Anybody that claims to be a "friend" and then goes on to state the things I Actually Know Tubby or whatever stated is more like an enemy.

Therefore, I think I'll take what FOT and coach Smith says over anything this blowhard spews on Tubby jumping ship at the first chance.

What do you want him to say? He has said he’s not a candidate for any other job, that he loves Minneapolis and that he’s excited about what he’s building here. Does any of that mean he won’t be offered and accept the open job at Oregon (or Auburn or wherever else a job opens)? Of course not. Maybe he’s being less than totally honest, maybe someone will blow him away with an opportunity that he doesn’t currently foresee, but in terms of what he said, I don’t know what more he could do.

Pretend he issued a statement that said “I am so happy at Minnesota that I would be a fool to ever even consider another opportunity that might get presented to me. No matter where it is, how much it pays or how much brighter the prospects for success are at another job, I have told my representatives to tell anyone who contacts them to go to hell. I have asked the University of Minnesota to prohibit me from receiving any incoming phone calls, faxes or e-mails, so I won’t even be tempted. I hope some day to die at the University of Minnesota.”

Would that convince you he was never going to leave? Do you believe that would preclude others from seeking him out? Even if it did, that wouldn’t stop the Dodds and Souhans of the world from speculating.

As long as the outside world views Minnesota as a middling job with marginal capability and interest in being a top tier program, a coach of Tubby’s stature is going to be linked to other openings. Right or wrong, the national perception is that he is an elite coach and that we don’t deserve him and can’t possibly make him happy. That may stop when he builds this into an elite program and still stays, he gets a bit older or he states that he plans to retire. Until then, I don’t see it stopping.

No kidding. When this first came out, people were saying "he didn't issue a firm denial." So now, he does exactly that and it becomes "yeah, but that's just coach speak." In other words, it's always "yeah, but, yeah, but" with these folks. Until proven otherwise, the man said "I'm not a candidate for any other jobs." That's it. End of story. Speculate all you want, but the man is on the record.

FOT and I have sparred over the years on certain topics (usually not related to Tubby), almost always it is "friendly fire" so to speak. I can say he brings definite value to this board. Sometimes it is over the top, but there is often value to it.

Not sure it matters greatly whether he's a "friend" or "acquaintance", there is no doubt he knows Tubby and is in occasional contact with him.

How about, "I'm not interested in the Auburn job or the Oregon job or any other job. I will be the coach at Minnesota next year." It's not that difficult. I spent about seven years in poliltics as a writer and about 10 years since in corporate PR and marketing, so maybe I focus too much on the wiggle room in a statement like Tubby's. But I read "I'm not a candidate" as semantics that allows him to keep the media off his back for a while. To me, "I'm not a candidate" could mean "I have not formally applied" or "they have not contacted me" (while they talk to his "people"). If he doesn't want the job he could say, "I don't want that job." Maybe Tubby didn't make that statement with wiggle room in mind. If not, that's great. But he's been a good coach at four D-I schools now, he's smart, and I believe he knows the difference.

It's not his fault that other programs want him, and I don't blame him for listening. And I don't expect him to stay forever -- that's just not what happens in coaching anymore. But as long as he's willing to actively listen, the calls will continiue to come. You say, "That may stop when he builds this into an elite program and still stays, he gets a bit older or he states that he plans to retire." I say it will stop (or slow down) as soon as Tubby makes it clear that he's not interested in moving.

Total BS. I spent 3 weeks in Australia (Sept 2000) in the same hotel as the Smiths. I do indeed know him. I last saw him on February 14, 2010.

Tubby will be coaching at Minnesota next season AND until retirement.

Ok, this is creepy to have as a comment friendoftubby, I couldnt tell you the exact day I saw anyone unless it was like within a week

Ok, this is creepy to have as a comment friendoftubby, I couldnt tell you the exact day I saw anyone unless it was like within a week

I'm sure he saw him at the Northwestern game. Remembering that is not really that creepy. I still remember the date of that game as well. I wasn't a terribly pleasant Valentine's day date after watching that debacle.

Don't look now Gopher fans but the oracle Jim Souhan just tweeted-

Hearing Tubby is looking to leave. Will talk about it on am-1500 starting at noon with Reusse.

Be sure to tune in AM1500 to get the latest updates.

Lol!

Does anyone remember how worked up people were last year with Virginia? Until they hired someone else and pretty much said that Tubby never really was a candidate for the job in the first place?

Same thing here. Tubby isn't going anywhere.

I think most us on here can agree we don't want Tubby to leave but if he does leave so be it. Can't make him stay if he doesn't want to and really nothing to get all worked up about. As some others pointed out a new coach will be hired and probably will be a decent hire. Of course not the big time hire as Tubby but I would assume a coach we think is a good hire.

Lol!

Does anyone remember how worked up people were last year with Virginia? Until they hired someone else and pretty much said that Tubby never really was a candidate for the job in the first place?

UVa certainly tried to get him. The official line was that Tony Bennett was thier guy all along. The reality is that's not true. I have no idea how close Tubby did or did not come to accepting. But he certainly was made an offer.

Every time there's an opening, somene's going to throw Tubby's name out there. My old high school would love to have Tubby come and coach there, but that's never going to happen.

I think Tubby could extend the dominance at Hopkins when Novak retires. I'm sure he still has a decent collection of blue ties, too.

How about, "I'm not interested in the Auburn job or the Oregon job or any other job. I will be the coach at Minnesota next year." It's not that difficult. I spent about seven years in poliltics as a writer and about 10 years since in corporate PR and marketing, so maybe I focus too much on the wiggle room in a statement like Tubby's. But I read "I'm not a candidate" as semantics that allows him to keep the media off his back for a while. To me, "I'm not a candidate" could mean "I have not formally applied" or "they have not contacted me" (while they talk to his "people"). If he doesn't want the job he could say, "I don't want that job." Maybe Tubby didn't make that statement with wiggle room in mind. If not, that's great. But he's been a good coach at four D-I schools now, he's smart, and I believe he knows the difference.

It's not his fault that other programs want him, and I don't blame him for listening. And I don't expect him to stay forever -- that's just not what happens in coaching anymore. But as long as he's willing to actively listen, the calls will continiue to come. You say, "That may stop when he builds this into an elite program and still stays, he gets a bit older or he states that he plans to retire." I say it will stop (or slow down) as soon as Tubby makes it clear that he's not interested in moving.

Well, I think the reason he won’t say “I will be the coach at Minnesota next year" is because he can’t honestly say it with 100% certainty and he doesn’t want to lie. There are almost certainly job situations out there that he would consider whether it’s for more money, a “better” location, more institutional support, better opportunity to win or whatever. How many coaches are there that truly have zero interest in all other opportunities? There are several coaches I have a hard time imagining leaving their current position, but not many who I truly believe would never ever consider some other option. It seems like the only time you ever hear of a coach saying “I am not interested in any other job” is when it’s thrown back in their face as they are leaving for another job. Tubby could say, I am not interested in the Auburn job, but that won’t stop people from saying that he’s interested in that job or any other one.

You say that you don’t blame him for other schools wanting him, don't blame him for listening and don't expect him to stay forever. If that’s the case, then I am not sure why you have a problem with what he’s said. He could give a more absolute statement and you may be right that would slow the talk in the short run, but if Gary Williams resigns for health reasons this afternoon, you can bet the talk will ramp right back up.

Lol!

Souhan must be one of those Sports Talk Blogger t-u-r-d-s like Lance McAlister in Cincy. Stir up the masses for ratings, truth and accuracy be damned.

Did anyone listen? What did Souhan say leads him to believe Tubby wants out?

Well, I think the reason he won’t say “I will be the coach at Minnesota next year" is because he can’t honestly say it with 100% certainty and he doesn’t want to lie. There are almost certainly job situations out there that he would consider whether it’s for more money, a “better” location, more institutional support, better opportunity to win or whatever. How many coaches are there that truly have zero interest in all other opportunities? There are several coaches I have a hard time imagining leaving their current position, but not many who I truly believe would never ever consider some other option. It seems like the only time you ever hear of a coach saying “I am not interested in any other job” is when it’s thrown back in their face as they are leaving for another job. Tubby could say, I am not interested in the Auburn job, but that won’t stop people from saying that he’s interested in that job or any other one.

You say that you don’t blame him for other schools wanting him, don't blame him for listening and don't expect him to stay forever. If that’s the case, then I am not sure why you have a problem with what he’s said. He could give a more absolute statement and you may be right that would slow the talk in the short run, but if Gary Williams resigns for health reasons this afternoon, you can bet the talk will ramp right back up.

I don't have any problem with what he said. All I'm saying is that what he said won't stop these rumors. If he wanted to stop them, he could. While others see his statement and think that means he's staying here, I don't read it that way. I don't think this is a case in which he loves it here and doesn't want to look like a liar in case someone blows him away. The way he has handled these things last year and now makes me think he wants to get blown away. I hope I'm wrong.

Coach Smith

All these rumors come up every year anyway. Nothing we can do about it. They will be back next year as well and Tubby's name will be there again.

I am already used to it. Always have been. It makes no sense to worry about it. I think Tubby will stay here for a good duration of time. 2 more years for sure.:clap:

Jamiche- I agree with you in principle. However, there are an awful lot of things that are uncertain about our roster going into next year that would make an exit this year very damaging.
I don't think he will leave but I hate hearing this stuff.

As we know from this year, the roster can be unsettled with the existing coach in place. I would like him to stay too, but life (and gopher hoops) would go on without him.

I think that if Tubby or Tubby's representatives want to engage in discussions with another school, all power to him. However, I think that the U should then be allowed to have conversations with other coaches. I know that there are all kinds of contracts and broken contracts are why some lawyers make a lot of money but these coaching contracts are as one way as NFL contracts and I don't understand it.

"IF" Tubby were going to leave, which I do NOT believe, I am sure he would not
tell ANYONE that is associated with a sports board. It would be kept extremely private
until an announcement were going to be made that he was taking another job.

This is NOT saying that Tubby would be doing anything any different than all coaches.
This is the way it is done. ALL coaches wait until they are on a plane to be introduced
at their next job. That is when the media and public find out.

If Tubby does leave:
The Minn. basketball program existed before Tubby came and will exist after he leaves or retires.
There is not one thing any fan can do to change that.
IF, and that is a BIG IF, Tubby leaves, Minn. will find another coach and the basketball program
and life will go on.

I e-mailed your BS to Tubby himself. (Yes, I have his private e-mail address)

If you ever were a friend of the Smith family, you aren't any longer.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I love it when people who pretend to be friends of someone famous post on here for "the first time in a long time" and claim to know what the public doesn't... haha then they run into some who does know Tubby (FOT) and suddenly they stop posting... Thanks FOT!!!

"IF" Tubby were going to leave, which I do NOT believe, I am sure he would not
tell ANYONE that is associated with a sports board. It would be kept extremely private
until an announcement were going to be made that he was taking another job.

This is NOT saying that Tubby would be doing anything any different than all coaches.
This is the way it is done. ALL coaches wait until they are on a plane to be introduced
at their next job. That is when the media and public find out.

If Tubby does leave:
The Minn. basketball program existed before Tubby came and will exist after he leaves or retires.
There is not one thing any fan can do to change that.
IF, and that is a BIG IF, Tubby leaves, Minn. will find another coach and the basketball program
and life will go on.

True of almost any good basketball program.

Kentucky survived the retirement of Rupp and Hall, the NCAA sanctions of Sutton, the loss of Pitino and Tubby with little notice to AD, and the debacle of Billy Gillispie.

Once again, I laugh with my beer in my hand, moving it towards my mouth, drinking it and enjoying it. All the rest is BS. Go Beer and Go Gophers!!!

Did anyone listen? What did Souhan say leads him to believe Tubby wants out?

I heard Souhan and Reusse talk about it at noon. The two items that were new to me were that 1) Tubby is contacting AAU coaches in Alabama to talk about Auburn and whether he could attract the top players there and 2) Donna, in particular, wants to move. I know that contrasts with what FOT has been saying for three years. But in these two cases, it sounded like he had heard these things from someone somewhere.

The rest seemed like idle speculation. Suggestions that Tubby doesn't think Williams Arena is attractive to players, he prefers warm weather, thinks it would be relatively easy to raise Auburn's stature in the SEC West without having to play Kentucky and Florida twice, blah, blah, blah, sounded more like guesses and gossip than reporting.

Top Bottom