Souhan on Fleck: If he can't win big this year is the future as bright as his new $35 million contract would suggest?

As I noted, the argument that Fisch hurt Weber's career is probably valid. The problem is that the snarky reference to Fisch's record this year as dispositive of him being a bad coach (which he may well be) when the situation is more complex than that.
OK, fair enough.

He is a terrible coach though. He was hired because ... the UA president performed a surgery on Jedd, some years ago, basically.

Something is going on in this program as it relates to the OC and QB. Everything in the passing game just looks so laborious and everything has to be clicking perfectly right for it to be successful. Meanwhile, outside of the two absolute disasters where the OL didn't show up, the running game has looked effortless at times. It just works. I'm not putting the blame squarely on Tanner, but something is obviously off. It seems to be more mental than physical, but could be a combination. I am thoroughly convinced Sanford, whether in how he's coaching Tanner as QB coach, or how he's formulating the offense if F'ing with his head.

The only cause of concern for me when it comes to PJ is his often dogmatic approach to sticking to one idea and not being flexible. I think it could ultimately lead to stagnation or ultimate downfall. He takes great pride in having a plan and sticking to it. There are many on here saying, "why would you change anything now....there's only 3 games left!?!" Well, a 3 game swing can make or break your season. There is never a bad time to do the right thing. Oklahoma is undefeated, and took an incumbent starter and preseason Heisman candidate and replaced him midseason. I'm not saying the answer is to bench Tanner. But at some point, something on the offense has to give as this isn't working.

OK, maybe two concerns with PJ- the other one being his steadfast insistence with sticking only with his buddies. You don't have to be best friends with your coworkers, you just have to respect them at a professional level. I get when you're a new coach, you want to cultivate a culture and the easiest way to do that is surrounding yourself with people you know and trust. But he has enough experience now that he should be able to step outside of his comfort zone and just pick the best person available.
This showed up right when he arrived for the offense. Instead of continuing the familiar read option based offense with a little play action mixed in using Green at QB, he went with that stripped down, basic vanilla offense we were subjected to in 2017. IMHO, that could have been a much better and more successful transition year offensively if he had done so, but he chose not to do it that way.

I'd like to see:

— Reusse as athletic director

— Barrierio as head football coach

— Souhan as football offensive coordinator.

Then, give Fleck a radio show and Coyle a newspaper column, and let them critique the new hires.

Top Bottom