Souhan: Gophers' P.J. Fleck doesn't have to be the next Lombardi, only Mason or Kill

Ditto.

I'd like to think that PJ Fleck will have a higher ceiling and eventually will bring home at least initially a B1G W title.

Recruiting is slightly better than during his predecesors' tenure. He has a vision and is a good promoter of everything Gophers.

It's a tough job to turn around Gopher Football. IMHO, he is the one to do. Jerry Kill laid the dock brickwork where PJ is standing on to row the boat.

He has to recruit even better in the face of stiff competition

This is Minnesota, he needs to win more to recruit better, period. He will not be able to stay in the 35-45 class rank range if that does not happen.

Pat Fitzgerald is 57% overall and 48% in the conference.
Decent recorded. But think MN fans would not have much patience for the type of season Northwestern had in 2013 and 2014. And that’s unfortunate; because they stuck with him, he has raised their ceiling permanently.

He won 10 in 2012.

I see this idea expressed a lot that "If IA and WI can do it, the Gophers can do it." Well, that depends on things that are often beyond the coach's control - support from the administration, budget, facilities, support from the fan base, alums, business community, boosters, etc. Like it or not, WI and IA are more traditional 'college' towns. MN is an urban campus and does not have that same feel as a smaller community where everything revolves around the college team. IA and WI are not in direct competition with an NFL team, etc in the same market.

In other words, just because IA or WI produced a winning program, that does not mean the Gophers can do the same. The circumstances are different.

As far as Souhan - I don't think he was referencing any one thing Fleck said - I suspect he is reacting more broadly to how Fleck was perceived when he came to MN - talking 100mph, the catch-phrases, slogans, and the whole larger-than-life presentation. It gets back to the old "Minnesota" thing. You're supposed to accomplish something before you start talking. Win first, then talk. Fleck came in talking, and (some) people are still waiting for the winning.

Wisconsin got lucky with Donna Shalala at the helm and the hiring of Barry Alvarez. For sure, Minnesota has a lot more obstacles/challenges. It is geographically challenged from a recruiting standpoint. For sure, there is so much competition for entertainment dollars not only in athletics.

IMHO, PJ Fleck just have to continue recruiting as hard as he has been an eventually, they will break the spell and establish a winning program. Fans need to be patient.

They are trying hard to fix the team depth issues and build balanced classes. The first Spring practice under Fleck, they barely had enough OLs to practice for instance.

If they can get two additional legitimate game changing 4-Stars than their usual get in succeeding classes, they have a shot. They have to win a few more games each season and eventually get a B1G title. Then, we will know they have arrived. The questions are - how long will it take; will PJ Fleck stay put and build a stable program with the core coaching staff staying for the long haul?

If the Gophers continue to switch coaches every four to six years, they will never get anywhere as a program.

Last edited:

PJ’s 2018 team beat WI and beat a P5 team in a bowl game, things that had not happened in 15 and 14 years, respectively.

Was the Pac-12 removed from the Power 5 and no one told me?

Top Bottom