Souhan: Gophers continue to lose vs. toughest opponent: Inept administration

No sports administration major!

I have no great love for Souhan, but I always laugh at how people get riled up over just about anything he and Reusse write.

The big problem for the football program in the first decade after Warmath is that rival factions of the M Club seemed to want to run the team. After that (in all sports), we've been incompetent at cheating. I don't advocate cheating, but every time we cheat, we seem to get caught.

As for Pelini, another great football guy who lacks the pieces to be a head coach. I predict a lot of things and am woefully wrong 90% of the time, but I did predict that Pelini was going to implode once Dr. Tom stepped down as AD at Nebraska and it wasn't long until that happened. Osborne really cotton-balled the boosters for Pelini and once he left the scene, Pelini was on his own.

If nothing but 9 and 10 win seasons is imploding, boy, I hope this program implodes FAST!

Pelini always had a winning conference record and 9 or 10 wins. Every year - seven years overall. And that was taking over a 5-7 overall 2-6 (big 12) conference team. To say he lacks the pieces to be a head coach is laughable. I'm not saying there isn't baggage. And I'm not saying that baggage may be more than a particular school is willing to accept. But to have the record he had for as long as he had it says he has the tools to be a head coach.

As far as Souhan, how about all the National Championships, conference championships, etc. in non-revenue sports? Why aren't they losing constantly and turning over coaches? I'm not going to say things are perfect, but how can they have the success they've had in several sports (wrestling, golf, etc.) if things are as bad as he claims they are?

There are problems here that are not solvable by an administration. The fact MN produces so few D1 football players. The fact that Gopher athletics will always be behind the pro teams in many peoples' minds in this region. The fact that kids from the south think it's -20 degrees in June. Winning in football will be difficult here no matter what the administration does.

And to imply the admin are the reason for his health - get real. Head football coach at a D1 FBS school has to be one of the most stressful jobs around regardless of administration. You think Urban Meyer doesn't feel stress? Jim Harbaugh? As far as the current administration, let's see - extending his contract and giving him and his staff raises? Check. Breaking ground on the Athletics Village? Check. Willing to work with him to help him manage his epilepsy? Check. But yeah, they didn't support him at all. Unbelievable.

Top Bottom