Souhan Article/Xavier

Gopher53

Reaction score
I know the Souhan article in yesterday's Star Trib was a hot topic, but I was just watching college gameday scoreboard on ESPN and the Xavier coach thanked "Gentleman Jim Souhan" for writing his artilce and the extra motivation for his team going into the game. I know it's a hotly contested topic whether or not the local media actually backs the Gopher athletic program around here and that ultimately the players decide who wins the game, but I found it interesting that he cited that article in his postgame interview.

Having said that, it was definitely a roller coaster season, one that perhaps could have been much more, but congratulations on a good season Gophers and I look forward to cheering you on again next fall.

Here's the quote:

Jim Souhan...however you pronounce his name, from the Star Tribune, thanks for the motivation to tell our kids that we should be fodder against Minnesota. Our kids are used to this stage. We played a lot of NCAA tournaments. We've been very successful. It's my charge and our kids' charge to continue to do that.

Our sportswriters are so bad, they can write an article that maligns our team and fires up our opponent.

The whole lot are sorry, sad men.

People make the assumption that the local sports writers are giving favorable coverage to the local team. In most places, that's true. But here, the assumption fails.

People make the assumption that the local sports writers are giving favorable coverage to the local team. In most places, that's true. But here, the assumption fails.

I totally agree. I remember many years ago when I moved from Duluth(where all articles were either stories about the game or human interest stories about players) down to Mpls and was amazed by the negativity and cynicism toward MN teams by the local press. I'm out in CA now but even before I left I'd stopped reading them because of the predictability of their writing.

And even "negative' doesn't describe it.

It's mean-spirited. I feel like these guys have low self-esteem or something and enjoy watching other people fail. In sports, most teams fail, that's the way it's designed, with one team winning a championship. But I was taught you root for your team even when they lose.

I say we dis-own them. They certainly don't speak for me, or to me.

I know the Souhan article in yesterday's Star Trib was a hot topic, but I was just watching college gameday scoreboard on ESPN and the Xavier coach thanked "Gentleman Jim Souhan" for writing his artilce and the extra motivation for his team going into the game. I know it's a hotly contested topic whether or not the local media actually backs the Gopher athletic program around here and that ultimately the players decide who wins the game, but I found it interesting that he cited that article in his postgame interview.

Having said that, it was definitely a roller coaster season, one that perhaps could have been much more, but congratulations on a good season Gophers and I look forward to cheering you on again next fall.

So Xavier got their motivation for today's game from a newspaper article written by a sportswriter from the opposing team's hometown? Playing in the NCAA tournament wasn't motivating enough? The coach wasn't able to motivate his team? If I was the coach of Xavier I don't think I would admit that publicly. Sounds like he might be a little thin skinned.

I thought the article (and how his followup) was quite lame, but I don't think they understood it. He was not in any way trying to malign Xavier in any way. I repeat, the article was in no way intended to be a cut at Xavier. It seems like everyone got their undies in a bunch over the title and didn't bother reading the article. its basic premise is that the Gophers have shown the talent and coaching of a team that can play with anyone, and I'd tend to agree. The outcome of today's game doesn't prove anything there, Xavier had a good day shooting and the shots didn't fall for the Gophers down the stretch. Still, it was quite clear to any impartial observer that they were evenly matched teams. Souhan asserted (correctly) that this would be the case. The lowly eleven seed trying to keep it close against the mighty 6 seed mindset is absurd. The only reason the Gophers weren't a lock heading into the BTT is because they lost some games that should be easy victories for a middle of the pack Big Ten team.

That being said, the assertion that Souhan motivated Xavier does not bode very well for their desire to represent their university and their program.

While I agree that's it's ultimately on the coach to get his players ready to play and not rely on some hard-boiled sports writer from Minneapolis for motivation, Souhan's response on his blog was quite possibly the most ridiculous entry I've ever seen on a sports blog. I've never seen such an out-and-out tantrum by a sports writer in my life. It was pure comic gold.

Top Bottom