Sorry - need some help here

holereader

Reaction score
Got home late from work - how can Fickel coach wisconsin in this bowl game?? Is there no rule about how these coaching changes work? Asking for a friend.

Got home late from work - how can Fickel coach wisconsin in this bowl game?? Is there no rule about how these coaching changes work? Asking for a friend.
No, there aren't rules on this and Fickell seemed to have wanted to start building his team sooner vs later.

If it was my team, I would want the same to start the building process ASAP.

I actually think it was a good idea. Badgers looked much more motivated than Oklahoma State and part of me thinks that was due to underclassmen on the Badgers going the extra mile to make a positive impression on the new coach.

I actually think it was a good idea. Badgers looked much more motivated than Oklahoma State and part of me thinks that was due to underclassmen on the Badgers going the extra mile to make a positive impression on the new coach.
I watched nearly the entire game. They weren’t more motivated. Just simply better. At no point did I see a lack of effort from Oklahoma St.

One thing is becoming clear is that team performance in bowls was already known to be highly susceptible to players announcing to go pro and skipping the game.

Now throw in the Portal and yikes, kind of a mess. Throw in injuries and these are not fully experienced squads hitting the fields for some of these games.

We'll likely see this tomorrow in our game where the Gophers will be coming in relatively intact while the Orange have been hit pretty hard, including coaching changes.

Dunno but it is affecting my interest more than I anticipated. My answer would be for a "Portal Blocking Period" of some sort that obvioulsy would not work at all with the December signing period. Mucked up.

I watched nearly the entire game. They weren’t more motivated. Just simply better. At no point did I see a lack of effort from Oklahoma St.
Cleary no one bothered to look at film from the Badgers' season. It may not have been lack of motivation (although it looked like Oklahoma State wasn't nearly as dogged as Wisconsin), but everybody that has watched Wisconsin knows that they are going to bleed the tight end on a number of patterns and Oklahoma State didn't pick that up at all on the Rucci touchdown. Rucci was so open he could have finished a three-course meal before anyone got within shouting distance from him,

Cleary no one bothered to look at film from the Badgers' season. It may not have been lack of motivation (although it looked like Oklahoma State wasn't nearly as dogged as Wisconsin), but everybody that has watched Wisconsin knows that they are going to bleed the tight end on a number of patterns and Oklahoma State didn't pick that up at all on the Rucci touchdown. Rucci was so open he could have finished a three-course meal before anyone got within shouting distance from him,
So being bad and missing coverage means they werent motivated.

Odd that those wisconsin dropped TDs (one by a WR and one by a LB on the easiest INT ever) arent from lack of motivation.

Bowl games seem to be more of a measure of a programs consistency in culture and a display of depth.

If your culture is good where players feel they are treated fairly, you will have less transfers. If you've been doing a good job acquiring depth, you can better withstand loss of transfers.

You also likely will have less opt-outs if your players want to win for each other and their coach. Of course, I can't say it's not right for the player to do what's best for them, but it's obviously a sliding scale.

According to information mentioned a couple of times during the game, the new coach was just an "observer." The interim head coach continued to lead the team during the bowl. I don't doubt that Fickell had some input but, for the record, he wasn't serving as the head coach. Of course, he was the coach of interest to the media.

So being bad and missing coverage means they werent motivated.

Odd that those wisconsin dropped TDs (one by a WR and one by a LB on the easiest INT ever) arent from lack of motivation.
Oklahoma State looked flat-footed and ill-prepared. That's all I am saying. You can differ. That's fine.

I doubt there is a rule. Interestingly in 2011 while Luke Fickell was the Ohio State Interim Head Coach for the entire season, Urban Meyer was hired at the end of November to be the new head coach. Fickell was allowed to finish the season and bowl game as the head coach. And Meyer immediately put together a staff and was recruiting on day 1. It greatly benefited OSU because they had 10 coaches to recruit plus 10 different coaches to handle the current roster. Apparently other schools have also been granted a similar waiver.

Coach? I thought he was observing?

Coach? I thought he was observing?
He didn’t ‘coach’ the players, but brought in his staff and started recruiting. Meanwhile, Fickell coached the team through the bowl game.

The only thing I would question is to many football coaches involved with players. I know some progams (including the U) hire so-called analyst who can coach the coaches but cannot interact with the players. It seemed to me Fickell was actively involved with the players.

Fickel said he was just an observer. Leonhard was in charge. IF that's how you are doing it...
then don't be an asshat and prance around on the sidelines looking over everybody's shoulder.

He was involved in practices....practice plans, suggestions etc He should have been in the booth at the least or have the balls to say I'm coaching the game if he's going to be all involved in practices and on the sidelines.

Chickenshack move to be that involved and not take responsibility for being the guy. If they lost he could say he was just observing...he wasn't just observing. Not impressed. Be one or the other...don't play both sides.

If someone is under contract to your organization you can do what you want.

Fickel said he was just an observer. Leonhard was in charge. IF that's how you are doing it...
then don't be an asshat and prance around on the sidelines looking over everybody's shoulder.

He was involved in practices....practice plans, suggestions etc He should have been in the booth at the least or have the balls to say I'm coaching the game if he's going to be all involved in practices and on the sidelines.

Chickenshack move to be that involved and not take responsibility for being the guy. If they lost he could say he was just observing...he wasn't just observing. Not impressed. Be one or the other...don't play both sides.

Settle down. Not a big deal

I guess the question - and this may be one of semantics - is WHEN the new coach officially takes over.

So, if Fred Flintstone is hired as the new coach of Bumsquat U on December 15th, does his contract begin immediately? Or does the contract go into effect at a later date?

if the contract is in effect immediately, then under that scenario, Fickell is the head coach of Wisconsin, and would be technically in his rights to act as the head coach at the bowl game.

ultimately, it is up to each "new" coach in that situation to decide how to handle it.

Top Bottom