Sori Marin appreciation thread!

btowngopher

Reaction score
Heck of a finale for the young man. Great leader and a nice career for a player that was/still often criticized. He is leaving shoes that will need to be filled next year and I’m not sure we’ll see an upgrade by losing him like some think.

The guy was a huge part of probably the best Gopher defense in my lifetime. He wasn't perfect but he was a starter for a really good defense for a number of years.

One thing I like to remind people about MSM is that the Gophers are often playing a 4-2-5 (or variations) and that puts an immense amount of pressure on your linebackers. They need to be able to take on a lot of traffic, be able to be gap sound and be able to fly to the sidelines.

It's a tough position for a LB to play as a base defense. His ability to play in that kind of system was absolutely vital for Rossi's scheme.

Plus the guy helped us beat the Badgers three times. MSM should drink for free in Dinkytown.

I admit I was pretty hard on MSM 2-3 years ago, I was greatly pleased with his development last year and he turned out to be one of my favorites these last two seasons.

Chatted with MSM after the Northwestern game at Manny’s while we were waiting for our vehicles. He could not have been any nicer and was very engaged in our conversation. He bleeds Maroon and Gold and will forever be thankful for the way he played and represented our university.

All the best to MSM, he has a great life ahead of him!

Hard worker, great leader, enjoys himself on the field.

Wonder if the NFL Combine will time Mariano's 40 with an Accelerator Mass Spectrometer?

Wonder if the NFL Combine will time Mariano's 40 with an Accelerator Mass Spectrometer?
He ain’t getting a combine invite and he’s one of those guys that you don’t want on your team based on how fast he runs a 40. He’d be a solid lb at the next level about 40 years ago. Unfortunately now in a league where your lbs need to be fast enough to go sideline to sideline he isn’t making it as anything more than a practice squad guy or a preseason flyer. Great ambassador for the university and an emotional leader for our football team, and that’s ok that that’s where it’ll end.

He ain’t getting a combine invite and he’s one of those guys that you don’t want on your team based on how fast he runs a 40. He’d be a solid lb at the next level about 40 years ago. Unfortunately now in a league where your lbs need to be fast enough to go sideline to sideline he isn’t making it as anything more than a practice squad guy or a preseason flyer. Great ambassador for the university and an emotional leader for our football team, and that’s ok that that’s where it’ll end.
Chad Greenway was slower than molasses and had a great career. That said, MSM probably doesn't make an NFL roster. He would be a great broadcaster if he decides to go that route.

MSM was the best run stopping LB you could ask for. Understood the design of the play and what the OL was going and how to fill the proper gaps. His weakness was in man pass coverage, especially on serviceable TE's and RB's. If he could sniff out the play he was great, but if it was mono-a-mono to get open he often got beat. Still our good secondary and zone coverages could often cover that weakness. Glad he became what he did. Another great leader that was strong enough to develop others. The success we see in 2023 and 2024 will come from leaders like Mo, Morgan and himself.

Size and speed sell in the glitter of Pro Football. But some great players were deemed too slow or too short to play in the NFL and have great pro careers.

Hopefully, some teams will be willing to "test the toys" and have a look at him as a UDFA.

Fewer than 2% of D1 football players have a chance of getting drafted into the NFL. His best chance is a UDFA invite.

PJ Fleck's brief sojourn into the NFL should be an inspiration for him.

I never post negatively about the players (coaches be fair game) but early in his career 55 took plenty of heat here and elsewhere.

It was fun seeing him grow as a player and he gave my son and I a memory we will always cherish.

Rushing the field after the WI win, and MSM could not have been any nicer. Posing for pics with fans. Enthusiastic high-fives and hugs. It was great. We couldn’t believe we were celebrating with the starting middle linebacker right after we beat WI.

I’d take him on any team any day.

When it comes to MSM we say, he beat WI and then partied with us, you can’t ask for anything more from a player.

Outside of Leidner, probably the most scrutinized player in Gopher history. No one will ever say he didn't 100% every game. Played his ass off. Will he play in the NFL? I doubt it, but I wouldn't put it past him. If Jack Gibbons can make a roster (awesome) so can MSM. Good luck kid!

Top Bottom