Soonest we'll know

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I know this has been posted in the past (by me :p), but I just like to project out when the soones a hire could realistically be made:

Immediately? - For an unemployed/underemployed coach (Belotti, Leach, Jagodinski, etc.). Personally, I think that even if the admin were to go this route, that they would wait to formally interview at least 1 or 2 sitting coaches at the conclusion of the season in order to properly vet the candidates. On the other hand, if Belotti was ready to go and we has some inkling that CU might snag him, then it would be possible to happen before the season ends.

The week of November 29 - For a currently employed HC or coordinator who is not going to a conference championship game. This would include names like Edsall, Mullin, Hoke, etc. I guess it would be possible where someone like Brady Hoke were to be announced prior to the last San Diego State game, but what would be the benefit to him or us in doing so?

The week of December 6 - For a currently employed HC or coordinator who is playing in a conference championship game. This could include the likes of Sumlin, Kill, Golden, O'Brien, etc.

Don't criticize the coaching names I threw out, they are just meant to be examples. Also I don't name any coordinators in this list because other than Michigan State's DC, I can't think of any that might fit the bill.

At any rate I really can't see us naming the head coach any later than December 11. The head start should ensure that. I'm also doubtful that we would know anything earlier than November 29. So that is just a two-week window - those should be a very interesting 7-14 days!

Hiring Jagodzinski would be the dumbest thing Minnesota could do.

Chances are he would come in here and do some good things, bring the team back up a little bit (Lets be honest, any coach will be able to improve what we have right now, at least initially) and some NFL team will be interested enough to take a waiver on him for his initial success.

He would be gone the second the NFL would call.

Ummm, if you'll read my original post...

Don't criticize the coaching names I threw out, they are just meant to be examples.

This wasn't meant to be [another] thread about coaching names, but rather a thread about timing.

Ummm, if you'll read my original post...

This wasn't meant to be [another] thread about coaching names, but rather a thread about timing.

I know and I'm sorry, I just needed to get that little bit about Jag out there and I didn't want to start another thread.

I think the hire will come in the first week of December. Can't afford to lose too much recruiting time (the off-campus contact period starts 11/28).

I would be suprised if it happens sometime in November. It may take until mid December before one is named. Maturi is bent on taking his time in finding the right guy!

He will have had what, six weeks by the end of November? It can be done in that amount of time with a search committee. He doesn't need more time unless the coach is not in position to talk until January, and I don't see how that plays for us.
What he really needs to do is have the legal staff working on a contract ahead of time so we don't screw around for weeks like we usually do. Hopefully, Mona is keeping him locked to a process so he does not get lost with all of the opportunities for great hires.

I'm sure they have their list of candidates, and have been checking around to see who on their list is interested, and who isn't. It is a frustrating time. It's like waiting for a tow truck in the rain.

Top Bottom