SON Has Gone Missing

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Two weeks now with no SON's report on the interview with Sid and PJ on WCCO. Can someone tell me what's going on? I'm missing the man from southeast Minnesota!

That is because PJ Fleck has not been appearing on Sports Huddle for several Sundays now.

On Feb 9, SON posted this:

"PLEASE NOTE:

for future reference, I am NOT going to post anything unless there is a Fleck interview. I will listen to the Huddle to see if Fleck is on. if he does appear, I will post a report. If Fleck does not appear, then the lack of a post will confirm that he did not appear."

The rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated.

I just don't see any point in coming on here every week to announce that something didn't happen.

As I said, if Fleck appears on the show, I will post a recap.

This week, no mention of Fleck at all on the Sports Huddle. I listened until close to 11:00am. Topics covered included the Twins, the Wild, the Miracle on Ice anniversary, and a lot - a lot - a lot - a lot of talk about plans to celebrate Sid Hartman's 100th birthday on March 15th. if I heard correctly, WCCO is going to devote almost 12 hours of programming that day to all things Sid. God help us.

And for the record, I live in SW MN. I grew up in SE MN.

Christ, you had me worried there was a missing person in the world, who frequented this board.

The rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated.

I just don't see any point in coming on here every week to announce that something didn't happen.

As I said, if Fleck appears on the show, I will post a recap.

This week, no mention of Fleck at all on the Sports Huddle. I listened until close to 11:00am. Topics covered included the Twins, the Wild, the Miracle on Ice anniversary, and a lot - a lot - a lot - a lot of talk about plans to celebrate Sid Hartman's 100th birthday on March 15th. if I heard correctly, WCCO is going to devote almost 12 hours of programming that day to all things Sid. God help us.

And for the record, I live in SW MN. I grew up in SE MN.

Sid is passed his prime but to still be as active and involved as he is at almost 100 years old deserves some celebrating.

Good to hear that Son is alive and well. I was afraid he got snowed in big time from the last storm they had down there.

Let's face it. The Sports Huddle interview is a legacy thing for Gopher football coaches - going back to when WCCO was the flagship station and the Sports Huddle was the de facto Coaches Show. I remember when they would take calls from listeners during that segment. As I recall, that ended when Mason got ticked with some of the questions. I called in once and asked him why they kept running Barber to the short side of the field instead of the wide side. he wasn't impressed.

But today, the Sports Huddle is basically a program run by old people, featuring old people as guests, and catering to an audience of old people. One of their on-air hosts will be 100 years old in a few weeks. That is not the demographic Fleck wants to reach. So, going on the Sports Huddle is probably more of a chore for Fleck than anything. It's not the flagship of the radio network. So, Fleck is basically doing the Sports Huddle for PR purposes - or he REALLY likes those Silver Butter Knife steaks.

I could get not taking phone calls. However not sure why people couldn't e-mail or text in questions and they could ask accordingly. This way we don't get the same old, same old questions week after week. A variety would be nice.

As I recall, that ended when Mason got ticked with some of the questions.

Like when he was asked why he scheduled Indiana from a caller that didn't seem to get we played Big Ten teams during the conference section of our schedule?

Mason grew some very thin skin while here, but the questions had gotten ridiculous.

Top Bottom