"Sometimes the prevent prevents you from winning"

I am in full agreement with Kill's approach of being aggressive and I hope he demonstrates that appraoch here. With that being said, it can backfire from time to time as it did with aggressive blitzes at the end of the Miami game last week. I still prefer Kill's approach to sitting back in a prevent defense and watching a team roll down the field with no pass rush and DB's playing way off receivers.

The anti-prevent defense got MiamiOH to 4th and 20 with just over a minute to go. The QB was hurried out of the pocket, slung a prayer across his body. The problem was that two DBs got greedy and dove for the pick instead of tipping the ball down to the ground. They ended up tipping the ball up and straight into the arms of the WR.

Not the coaches fault. And honestly, it wasn't that stupid of a move to go for the pick because the one guy really had it right in his hands.

The scheme gave them every chance to win. It was the player that goofed. The opposite of so many Mason meltdowns.

You get the impression that he knows he's going to take criticism and can handle it. If you go with the prevent and it doesn't work, everyone yells at you for not being aggressive enough. If you're aggressive and it doesn't work, everyone yells at you for not using the prevent. It's never as obvious as we spectators think.

I think Kill has his beliefs on what he is going to do, and if it works, it works, if not, he is still true to himself. Brewsters inexperience really showed is that he never know what he wanted in his football team. Kill knows what he wants and will now recruit the players to fit that mold

Top Bottom