Something to think about....

Umm, do you honestly think that we had less talent than Florida Atlantic and North Dakota State, wow.

If you consider ability, and not just raw talent, I think that may have actually been the case.

I think that the "turnaround" is overblown considering that Brewster has still yet to beat a meaningful better than .500 conference opponent nor has he yet to win one of the six trophy games contested thus far. Further he is improving from a record that was largely a product of his own making (I am certainly not convinced that a better gameday coaching effort might not have mitigated much of the personnel shortcomings, offensive systems shift or no).

What Brewster has given us in short order is the worst single season performance the program has ever seen, and the most embarrassing rout any Gopher squad has ever succumbed to and this in a program that has had more than its share of embarrassment on the field. Worst imho Brewster squandered the best and last chance to secure the Jug this decade against a reeling Michigan team that despite being in shambles most of the season not only locked up the trophy for three years, but trounced us in the process.

Next year will be a truer mark of his performance. Two bona fide "Big Six" opponents are on the schedule in lieu of our usual MAC/ConUSA mishmash finally giving us an answer to the many detractors of our "powder-puff" non-conference runs of the past. Though less highly touted Air Force's option orientated scheme could prove vexing unless our young defense is well prepared. We lose off the schedule an all-too-beatable Indiana and the aforementioned question-filled Michigan program in return for Michigan State and Penn State, two powerful and seemingly ascending opponents. I don't think a Minnesota coach has had such a formidable schedule in a long time.

If we manage 8 or 9 wins next year I will look toward the next decade with tremendous expectations for the future. What happens if win only 4 or 5 games? Are we still moving forward? Does our recruiting stay on pace? Is recruiting going to take a step back this season? Credit Brewster for resetting my rivals.com-driven standards to such heights (or even making me a rivals subscriber), but I guess I thought we would be attracting a smaller but highly touted group of recruits in this class, but this season's haul of verbals has thus far been much less flashy than last years and the end of the line is drawing near. The recruiting turnaround is the most exciting aspect of this program in contrast to the several previous regimes, certainly not the recent improvement over a season best quickly forgotten. Several more high quality classes combined with an exciting addition of BCS caliber opposition and a new stadium could give us a real turnaround season, but '08 was at best a return to the mid-conference status quo achieved earlier in this decade.

I think one of the differences may be that RR has shown in the past that he can build a winner. That is still the unknown with Brewster though I hope he does well and builds the gophers into a winner.

No that only proves GoGophers point. If RR struggled, then it's more about transition to entirely new systems. The reason Florida didn't struggle as much under Urban Meyer, is Spurrier and Zook left him spread ready players.

No that only proves GoGophers point. If RR struggled, then it's more about transition to entirely new systems. The reason Florida didn't struggle as much under Urban Meyer, is Spurrier and Zook left him spread ready players.

I acknowledge that whenever there is a coaching change and a change in offensive strategy that there can be some struggles, but going 1-11 and realistically could have easily been 0-12 is more than the normal struggles you see with a transition. My point is that while RR has had his struggles this year after the switch, atleast he has proven that he can build a winner. We don't know based on Brewsters experience or more important lack thereof if he can build a winning program as he has never done it.

Don't forget about probably our 2nd best offensive player--Logan Payne (now in the NFL). Also, our most experienced OL in Joe Ainslie. Seriously, the talent drop from 2006-2007 was just unbelievable. Now trust me...I'm not completely sold on Brewster--I think he has a lot of work to do and a lot to prove (even he admits that)--but those who rip him for tearing down the program last year are clueless...as are those who anoint him the savior for getting us to 7 wins this year. In my heart of hearts, I believe he'll get this program to a New Year's Bowl in the next 3 years...mainly because he's an amazing recruiter and will totally UP the level of talent on the team. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen...

The talent level has improved and will continue to improve which will make us a much better team. However, one needs only to look at Notre Dame or Illinois to see that talent alone does not win football games. Getting good recruits can make you a good team, and a good coach, but greatness lies in getting the most out of your players. I'm sold on Brewster the recruiter, I'm getting there with Brewster the Football CEO (improving his asst. coaches the last 2 years, although right now Davis is just a great resume) but Brewster the football coach still has some convincing to do.

'07 Talent at NDSU vs. Minn & other thoughts

Umm, do you honestly think that we had less talent than Florida Atlantic and North Dakota State, wow.

I have a friend of a friend that is a HS coach at a top 5A program in Minnesota that sat down the the NDSU coaches last summer. He told me that the NDSU coaches thought that on the defensive side of the ball the only players that were better than what NDSU had was Hightower, Barber and Van De Steeg if he wasn't injured. They called out Sherels and Shevlin specifically as guys that would not crack their starting line up.

Yes, it is heresay because I heard it from him and not from their coaches but he has been pretty spot on with everything he told me last summer when we sat down and talked football.

1. The Gophers should pass on Fritz Rock. Cecil Doe is a better WR, and he would rather recruit him to walk on than go after Fritz Rock. He also thought Rock was a head case.
2. Wayzata will have the most talent in 5A next season.
3. Derek Engel is a camp star because he can run sub 4.4 and has size but he will not get many D1 offers. He will end up at a good DI-AA, a MAC school, or walking on at Minnesota unless Iowa State, which is like a MAC school, gets him. He did think that if Engel played in Texas where they practice during the spring and have football as a gym class that everyone on the team participates that Engel would be a DI talent. That sort of implies he has the tools but is unpolished.
4. Cole Jirik is marginal for Big Ten so if he gets offered it will be late.
5. Beau Allen is the best rising junior defensive player in the state.
6. Brewster and his staff are far better than Mason and his staff at communicating and working with HS coaches in the state. That will start to be reflected by more guys staying home to play for the Gophers.

I'm sold on Brewster the recruiter, I'm getting there with Brewster the Football CEO (improving his asst. coaches the last 2 years, although right now Davis is just a great resume) but Brewster the football coach still has some convincing to do.

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think being great at #2 can makeup for shortfalls in #3 (though not totally) and that's why I still want to see Coach Brew continue to grow and improve.

However, I think one very underrated aspect of his time here is the fact that he WANTS to be here, WANTS to win here, and thinks we CAN and WILL win here. I know his enthusiasm borders on bluster at times, but I think that kind of attitude is important when you're trying to change the culture of a program. Plus, everything he's shown me (including some personal interactions) leads me to believe he is a genuinely nice guy. I don't think that plays into how he's rated as a coach...but its nice to be able to be proud of the coach of your team and how he acts (vs. trying to defend his being a jacka** like my Wisky friends have to do with BB).

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think being great at #2 can makeup for shortfalls in #3 (though not totally) and that's why I still want to see Coach Brew continue to grow and improve.

However, I think one very underrated aspect of his time here is the fact that he WANTS to be here, WANTS to win here, and thinks we CAN and WILL win here. I know his enthusiasm borders on bluster at times, but I think that kind of attitude is important when you're trying to change the culture of a program. Plus, everything he's shown me (including some personal interactions) leads me to believe he is a genuinely nice guy. I don't think that plays into how he's rated as a coach...but its nice to be able to be proud of the coach of your team and how he acts (vs. trying to defend his being a jacka** like my Wisky friends have to do with BB).

I guess I don't always believe a slick salesman just because he says something. Of course he is going to say he wants to be here and can win here, but does he really believe it or is he just feeding you a line. I too have had some personal interactions which has lead me to believe that the persona when the cameras are rolling can differ from the reality.

People's football IQ is obviously quite low around here. The Mason supporters nor the haters even remotely understand how good this guy actually was. The Brewster haters & supporters are stuck between koolaid and acid. Few people even understand the mechanics behind football and are always misguided when it comes to why things happen the way they do on the field........

Top Bottom