Some truly crappy analysis from ESPN

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
I know not everyone has ESPN Insider, but Travis Haney is ranking the coaches in each power conference based on program stability. He lists Kill at #10 of 14 (in front of only Beckman, Ferentz, Hazell, and Wilson). Personally, I can't wait until that season opening game in St. Paul.

"10. Jerry Kill, Minnesota

Record at school: 25-26 (fifth season)

Kill just might be the most universally liked and respected guy among the coaching fraternity. Peers have been troubled by his bouts with seizures, something that was not an issue last fall and has hopefully subsided.

The head coach’s health remains a legitimate factor in the stability of the program, as evidenced by the adversity the 2013 team endured to win eight games despite Kill taking a leave of absence.

As long as he’s OK, Minnesota will remain a tough out in the Big Ten West. The 2015 season is no exception. TCU should be on high alert for a physical challenge in the season opener in St. Paul."

The head coach’s health remains a legitimate factor in the stability of the program, as evidenced by the adversity the 2013 team endured to win eight games despite Kill taking a leave of absence."

"the adversity the 2013 team endured....despite Kill taking a leave of absence"

so the team would of had to endure MORE adversity if Kill had been present?

What an idiot! Even if this wasn't what he intended. Must have gotten his Journalism degree from Wisky.

WTF....when did they move the stadium? I depend you guys to keep me informed.

That he had health problems in 2013 and the team still won 8 games tells a lot of just how much stability there is in this team. And his heath has been doing well for some time now.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Wow. I saw the headline of this article but don't have insider so I couldn't read it. My guess for Kill was he would be in the top 3.

Harbaugh was probably in the top 3! Like they have stability at Michigan.

I get the health concerns, even though it looks like Kill has it under control now. Without that though this is the most stable coaching staff possibly in the country....

Harbaugh was probably in the top 3! Like they have stability at Michigan.

I don't agree with the article's placement of Kill (or with the placement of the stadium), but in its defense, the new coaches should be near the top of the list because the point of the article is to list the most likely coaches to still be working for their current school at the end of the season. Dantonio is #1, followed by 3 new coaches (Chryst, Riley and then Harbaugh at #4) and then Franklin (second year coach) at #5. I do agree that all of those coaches are more likely to still be at their school than Jerry - Dantonio has earned the right to be there even if MSU has a terrible season or two and the other 4 coaches are too new to fire unless there's some kind of off-field problems at those institutions. I would have put Kill next at #6. Keep in mind that the article also factors in whether the coach might leave on his own. That's why Urban Meyer doesn't show up until #8 and why they ranked Harbaugh the least likely of the rookie coaches to remain.

Guys, where is the new stadium? That's the most pressing issue we need to solve before game day.

Guys, where is the new stadium? That's the most pressing issue we need to solve before game day.

backyard football at some dude's house in st. paul. we'll use lawn chairs for the end zone markers and people can hang off some rainbow play set for seating. neighbor grille will have to suffice for tailgating

I think they're going to put some cones down to mark the endzones on the new Saints stadium.

How the hell can you not have Meyer number one in the Big Ten coming off a National Championship? They are going to build him a freaking statue next to Woody for Christ's sake.

I don't agree with the article's placement of Kill (or with the placement of the stadium), but in its defense, the new coaches should be near the top of the list because the point of the article is to list the most likely coaches to still be working for their current school at the end of the season. Dantonio is #1, followed by 3 new coaches (Chryst, Riley and then Harbaugh at #4) and then Franklin (second year coach) at #5. I do agree that all of those coaches are more likely to still be at their school than Jerry - Dantonio has earned the right to be there even if MSU has a terrible season or two and the other 4 coaches are too new to fire unless there's some kind of off-field problems at those institutions. I would have put Kill next at #6. Keep in mind that the article also factors in whether the coach might leave on his own. That's why Urban Meyer doesn't show up until #8 and why they ranked Harbaugh the least likely of the rookie coaches to remain.

I would think a heart attack would be more of a concern than seizures that have been controlled for a long time for a head coach. Also, MSU lost their d coordinator, while we've retained all of our coaches, which should also be a sign of stabillity. Bad bad article for lots of reasons.

How the hell can you not have Meyer number one in the Big Ten coming off a National Championship? They are going to build him a freaking statue next to Woody for Christ's sake.

And he's an Ohio guy, this was his dream job.

Midway is available, I'm sure you can cram a football field in there.

Or you could play at the soccer field. It only seats about 1000, so there might not be room for everyone...

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

backyard football at some dude's house in st. paul. we'll use lawn chairs for the end zone markers and people can hang off some rainbow play set for seating. neighbor grille will have to suffice for tailgating

As the home team, do the Gophers get to choose whether to be shirts or skins?

I would think a heart attack would be more of a concern than seizures that have been controlled for a long time for a head coach. Also, MSU lost their d coordinator, while we've retained all of our coaches, which should also be a sign of stabillity. Bad bad article for lots of reasons.

The article is not about the stability of the coaching staff as a whole, just whether the head coach will still be coaching at his school next year. And I don't disagree that Meyer's heart problems are more problematic than Jerry's seizures (I did say that I'd rank Jerry higher on the list than Meyer) but I think the main reason to think Meyer might not be back is just that he'll get bored at having accomplished what he wanted to do.

But again, yes, it was a terrible article.

Because Meyer might choose to leave on his own. No way they fire him, but he might get bored, decide it's time to retire, take a crack at the NFL, etc.

The article is not about the stability of the coaching staff as a whole, just whether the head coach will still be coaching at his school next year. And I don't disagree that Meyer's heart problems are more problematic than Jerry's seizures (I did say that I'd rank Jerry higher on the list than Meyer) but I think the main reason to think Meyer might not be back is just that he'll get bored at having accomplished what he wanted to do.

But again, yes, it was a terrible article.

"ranking the coaches in each power conference based on program stability" I guess I read that differently.
I was talking about Dantonio's heart attack, not Meyer's palpitations or virus or whatever it was.

Peers have been troubled by his bouts with seizures, something that was not an issue last fall and has hopefully subsided.

Which peers? And why mention peers? Everyone except PantherLoser was troubled by his seizures. All decent human beings are troubled by someone in distress. And only PantherLoser and other idiots like PantherSouhan where creepy enough to make it an issue.

This article is an astonishing pile of ripe neanderthal waste.

Top Bottom