Some Observations from Spring Practice on Tuesday.

JOHN4254

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to watch Gopher football practice on Tuesday, thanks to the invitation of a very nice gentleman, Kevin Cosgrove. I do not profess to be any kind of football expert, or talent scout, but I did observe several things, and many players, that made me anxious for the football season to start soon. Practice lasted a little over two hours, and the players seemed to be uniformly enthusiastic and hustled from one ten minute drill to the next, culminated with a live scrimmage at the end of practice. There was very little wasted time as the assistant coaches put them through several fast-paced drills, one after the other, with very little rest in between. I was struck by the overall improvement in team speed on both offense and defense.

Several of the younger players stood out on offense and defense. Bryant Allen is going to have a breakout season, IMHO, as a wide receiver and spot running back. He is probably the fastest player on the team, and the most athletic, plus he can hit the three whenever the football team might need one. Da'Jon McKnight caught everything thrown anywhere near him, including two balls at one time during a drill when all of the quarterbacks were throwing to receivers at the same time. Although he will not need this particular skill during the Big 10 season, he is a tall, physical receiver, who seems to have improved greatly from last fall, and he looks bigger than his listed 200 pounds. Also look for # 86,Tiree Eure, a huge 6-7 TE from the Gophers new pipeline, Lackawanna JC. He will catch a lot of balls next season. Don't forget Brandon Green, an excellent possession receiver, or Troy Stoudermire, who looks much improved catching the ball, and, I predict, will return two or three kickoffs back for touchdowns this year. During the brief scrimmage, the offensive line was opening some nice holes for Eskridge, and blocking well on sweeps against the first team D. Duane Bennett was sidelined by slight injury, and DNP in the scrimmage.

Speaking of the defense, they look bigger, faster and more athletic upfront with Jewhan Edwards about to become a big star on defense, along with his partner at off tackle, Brandon Kirksey. Edwards is immense, and is going to hurt some poor offensive lineman and running backs. Big Jewh is a "force of nature" to be reckoned with. Kirksey looks much bigger than his listed weight of 295 and still fast. There is stiff competition at the linebacker position, with much better speed and athletic ability. Keanon Cooper and Gary Tinsley look to be the best with Tinsley adding 10-15 pounds of solid muscle. He could be the real beast of the linebacking crew with Sam Maresh also an applicant for the "beast" position. It was difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary because Theret is MIA, and Michael Carter appeared to be a little dinged up, but the speed and size looks much improved. At DE, Hageman is huge, fast, a real specimen who could play both ways, with Wilhite, Jacobs, and Garin in the mix on the other side. Look for a lot more sacks this fall.

I have saved the quarterback position for last, just to annoy all of the Adam Weber haters out there. I am pleased to report that Jeff Horton, the new OC, and Adam Weber himself, seemed to have gotten young Adam back on track. I predict that he is going to have a big season with improved accuracy, better protection from his offensive line, vastly improved receivers, who now know how to run their routes, and his confidence restored by the arrival of Horton, and the departure of one who shall remain nameless. He was very accurate passing during the scrimmage. Marquis Gray also looked very good, but he is not at the same level yet as AW.

The Gophers will be the surprise of the Big 10, with great improvement on both sides of the ball. I know, bold predictions from one who professes to know very little, but I was fortunate to be a student at the U in 1967 when the Gophers last tied for the Big 10 title. I know that I am an eternal optimist when it comes to Gopher football, but I see many similarities between this team and the '67 Gophers. I would love to hear what other people think about this year's Gopher prospects.

GO GOPHERS!

Thank you. This is stuff that gets my blood boiling...in a good way!!!!!

Go Gophers!!

It is VERY dangerous to post optimistic things on this board, but I like it!!! In light of this I hereby up my 8-4 prediction to 9-3.

Thanks John4254. With the tight security and lack of first hand reports this Spring, this info is most welcomed. I look forward to seeing some of what you saw Saturday.

Very well written John

I looks forward to more posts from you

Terrific post. I had started to wonder if my own optimism was nothing more than self-delusion. Glad to hear someone with longtime knowledge of the Gophers sounding so optimistic about this year's squad.

May I ask how MarQueis Gray looked? Accuracy, footwork, reads, fumbling (hopefully lack of)?

Also, I propose that at some point before next season you do a series of posts about the '67 Gophers. My father grew up cheering for those teams, and I would love to hear a first hand account of what those legendary 60s teams were like to watch.

Thanks, John. Love your optimism and your writing style. Have you submitted a resume to the local media outlets?

Thanks, John. Love your optimism and your writing style. Have you submitted a resume to the local media outlets?

Agreed...KUDOS! I also like your take on the talent about ready to burst onto the scene. I could also very easily envision 8-4, nice bowl game, set up for a big run to the roses in 2011!

I particularly like the comments about Weber, since they align with what I have been posting here. Adam has had 4 OCs in 5 years, Fish, Fesch or whatever was the worst. Incompetent. Horton has a knack with QBs and I have believed for some time that Weber will flourish under him.

I hope so, got a bet with my son on this. I love taking his money :clap:

IGO GOPHERS!

It was difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary because Theret is MIA, and Michael Carter appeared to be a little dinged up, but the speed and size looks much improved.

Why would the absence of Theret make it difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary; "but the speed and size looks much improved?"

I am sure that is exactly what the coaches are trying to accomplish; get bigger and faster!

It was difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary because Theret is MIA, and Michael Carter appeared to be a little dinged up, but the speed and size looks much improved.

Why would the absence of Theret make it difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary; "but the speed and size looks much improved?"

I am sure that is exactly what the coaches are trying to accomplish; get bigger and faster!

Awesome post Stargenes!

Make sure to email me next time you post something this sweet again ([email protected])

Nice report. Good to hear Weber's clicking some in practice. I guess I'd like to know, for comparison's sake how he's looked this spring compared to his previous springs, and whether he's really shown improvements over the past, or whether he is typically on point during practices even last spring and it just didn't translate at all last season.

Either way, nice to hear. I look forward to this season probably more than any since '04 when I thought we had a legitimate shot at a possible BT title. This year, I just want the team to take another step toward that goal, getting those 8 or maybe even 9 wins, making some impact on the BT this season, making everyone take notice.

I'm really hoping Weber has a great year. I like the kid and I don't think it's been an easy road for him trying to learn a new offense every year. I really enjoyed your post, I am so freakin' excited to watch these guys play in the fall.

Marquis Gray also looked very good, but he is not at the same level yet as AW.

I pray to God Gray is never at the same level as Adam Weber or our QB play will suck long into the foreseeable future

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and the constructive criticism, Stargenes. I did want to take this opportunity to follow up with some of your questions and comments, so here goes. Dear Mr. Maverick,

Please DO NOT get your blood boiling on my account, this could be extremely dangerous to your health and continued life. We need you around for the football season to slide into some of those great empty seats left vacant by the student body.

Dear ruralgopher,

It is EXTREMELY dangerous to post optimistic things on this board, but it is even more dangerous to up your prediction to a 9-3 season for our beloved rodents. DO NOT, I repeat, do not bet the farm, the grain elevator, or the tractor dealership on this rash prediction. I would feel extremely guilty and might have to burn my Golden Gophers stocking cap, or indulge in some other self injurious behavior. I would be very happy with the aforementioned 8 & 4.

Dear Bayfield (one of my favorite road trip destinations),

Look for me on Saturday afternoon, I will be the old geezer, Class of '69, in the do-it-yourself seating business, (wheelchair), and I will be wearing something gold, not Gopher underwear.

Dear AhliBobwa,

Sometimes self-delusion is a positive thing, other times it is merely self-delusion, and it needs to be treated with the proper medication. Beware of Trojan horses, and the Trojans, and be especially on guard with people who claim a long-time knowledge of, and support for, Gopher football. In answer to your question about the progress of young Mr. Gray, he was throwing almost as accurately as AW, he has very quick feet and is faster than AW, did not fumble that I noticed, and I would know a read if I tripped over one. However, it is very obvious that he has a very athletic body. I think we will see a lot more of him as a backup this season.

Regarding your request for a series of preseason posts about the '67 Gophers, I am afraid that I would embarrass myself to attempt such a project, but if there is enough interest, I would give it my best shot. A small anecdote. Back in the summer of 1967, I had just moved into a luxurious, Zollie Baretz owned "garden level", apartment across from the fire station on 6th St S. E. Living immediately above me were McKinley Boston, defensive tackle and former Gopher Athletic Director, now AD at New Mexico, Ezell Jones, a huge offensive tackle, and now successful businessman, originally from Memphis, Tennessee, Al Nuness, basketball point guard and Captain, Rob Randall, a Gopher baseball player and now successful businessman, and occasionally a very young Leon Trewick, a sophomore DE from Washington, DC, and now a successful local attorney. It was a wonderful, carefree summer, between my first and second years in law school at the U. These guys were some of the nicest, funniest, and talented people that you would ever want to meet, but they also threw some of the greatest parties that one could find that summer, slightly better than ours. Nevertheless, we were the ones that almost got evicted twice, for shenanigans taking place above us, by the humorless caretaker we simply called, No-Neck, because she had none. However, the guys above put in a good word for us, and we escaped the streets. These were good men, great athletes, many from poor black high schools in the South who never would have gotten a call from all white Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. But Murry Warmath, a real gentleman, a man ahead of his time, and one of the greatest Gopher football coaches ever, gave them that call, along with Bobbie Bell, Carl Eller, Sandy Stephens, Charlie Sanders, and integrated the Big 10. The rest is history. Those were very different times, I am glad I was there to witness it all, and enjoy the last Gophers Big 10 championship. Oh yes, we beat Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Michigan State that season. Here is a little teaser:
http://www.gophersports.com/SportSe..._PAGE=&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&Q_SEASON=1967

And another:
http://www.fanbase.com/Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-Football-1967

Dear Mr. 2nd Degree,

If I should ever make a move to submit my resume to any local media outlet, please have someone shoot me and put me out of my misery before I could do something so rash. As the old saying goes, "Don't quit your day job". Since I have no day job, being retired, I have no desire to descend into that level of Hell reserved for sportswriters, sports talk show hosts, and football and basketball analysts.

Dear Mr.Sumtime...,

I also believe in Adam Weber, people forget what a great season he had as a sophomore when he had the benefit of better protection and better receivers. I believe that he is capable of even better this year with the albatross removed from around his neck. About that bet with your son, be careful, children have a way of getting that money back, should they lose, by asking for something else.

Dear Mr. Stargenes,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, but as you can see, I am a bit long-winded, an occupational affliction I am told. Your point is well taken regarding my comments on the secondary. I did not make myself very clear, Theret was missing and it seemed like Carter did not practice much because of minor injuries. Kim Royston was there, of course, but because of my unfamiliarity with the transfers and other younger players, I did not do a very good job in describing the secondary prospects. You are absolutely correct, they are looking for taller, faster, bigger, and more athletic at safety and corner.

Thanks again for the kind words, but after all, this would also make good birdcage material if you should decide to print it off and put it in the proper place.

Adios

John4254, Overall you did a nice job summarizing what you could and I did in fact intend to be constructive with my comments. I certainly respect the detail by which you post information and your explanations which reflect a very thoughtful individual. Note that we have another very talented DB that came in the same class as Michael Carter in Kenny Watkins. Although he was not a 4* like Carter, he was 3* and highly regarded by some national talent analysts. Both he and Carter have ridiculous skills as DBs and will likely be Stars during their tenure. Folks regard Coach Brewster as a great recruiter, well these guys are proof positive. You should know Royston, but he was a high end talent out of Cretin that committed to Wisconsin, played there and then transferred home to The U. He is a solid player and brings a load of experience. Not the biggest safety but packs a big punch. Another new talent added to the secondary has been the JUCO Chrysten Lewis, a 6'2" CB/S the will play extensively this year. He was recruited out of California and his addition upgrades the DB core as well. There are two more JUCO DBs that will join the team in the summer, Herschel Thornton and Dwight Tillman. Thornton is a 6'2" 205 lbs Safety that can really bring the hammer. The coaches are high on him as well. I share all of this information because I am certain you will find it important in the long run. The Gopher secondary is about to surge upward in talent and athleticism and I think you should be on notice what is coming. Enjoy the rest of the Spring. Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!

Thanks John4254, your post was one of the best reads on the football board in a long time. Hopefully, the Gophers will be significantly improved in 2010.

Love the report...nice details and opinions, but can you please address the areas in bold?

I had the opportunity to watch Gopher football practice on Tuesday, thanks to the invitation of a very nice gentleman, Kevin Cosgrove. I do not profess to be any kind of football expert, or talent scout, but I did observe several things, and many players, that made me anxious for the football season to start soon. Practice lasted a little over two hours, and the players seemed to be uniformly enthusiastic and hustled from one ten minute drill to the next, culminated with a live scrimmage at the end of practice. There was very little wasted time as the assistant coaches put them through several fast-paced drills, one after the other, with very little rest in between. I was struck by the overall improvement in team speed on both offense and defense.

Compared to your visit to spring practice last year or what? How can you compare speed from a practice vs game action last year? Please clarify...Got any data to back up your assessment? I think we've been hearing about our improved speed now for the past 20 years....pardon my cynnicism.

Several of the younger players stood out on offense and defense. Bryant Allen is going to have a breakout season, IMHO, as a wide receiver and spot running back. He is probably the fastest player on the team, and the most athletic, plus he can hit the three whenever the football team might need one. Da'Jon McKnight caught everything thrown anywhere near him, including two balls at one time during a drill when all of the quarterbacks were throwing to receivers at the same time. Although he will not need this particular skill during the Big 10 season, he is a tall, physical receiver, who seems to have improved greatly from last fall, and he looks bigger than his listed 200 pounds. Also look for # 86,Tiree Eure, a huge 6-7 TE from the Gophers new pipeline, Lackawanna JC. He will catch a lot of balls next season. Don't forget Brandon Green, an excellent possession receiver, or Troy Stoudermire, who looks much improved catching the ball, and, I predict, will return two or three kickoffs back for touchdowns this year. During the brief scrimmage, the offensive line was opening some nice holes for Eskridge, and blocking well on sweeps against the first team D. Duane Bennett was sidelined by slight injury, and DNP in the scrimmage.

Speaking of the defense, they look bigger, faster and more athletic upfront with Jewhan Edwards about to become a big star on defense, along with his partner at off tackle, Brandon Kirksey. Edwards is immense, and is going to hurt some poor offensive lineman and running backs. Big Jewh is a "force of nature" to be reckoned with. Kirksey looks much bigger than his listed weight of 295 and still fast. There is stiff competition at the linebacker position, with much better speed and athletic ability. Keanon Cooper and Gary Tinsley look to be the best with Tinsley adding 10-15 pounds of solid muscle. He could be the real beast of the linebacking crew with Sam Maresh also an applicant for the "beast" position. It was difficult to tell much of anything about the secondary because Theret is MIA, and Michael Carter appeared to be a little dinged up, but the speed and size looks much improved. At DE, Hageman is huge, fast, a real specimen who could play both ways, with Wilhite, Jacobs, and Garin in the mix on the other side. Look for a lot more sacks this fall.

I have saved the quarterback position for last, just to annoy all of the Adam Weber haters out there. I am pleased to report that Jeff Horton, the new OC, and Adam Weber himself, seemed to have gotten young Adam back on track. I predict that he is going to have a big season with improved accuracy, better protection from his offensive line, vastly improved receivers,

Hmmmm....Better than Decker????

who now know how to run their routes, and his confidence restored by the arrival of Horton, and the departure of one who shall remain nameless. He was very accurate passing during the scrimmage. Marquis Gray also looked very good, but he is not at the same level yet as AW.

Not at the same level with what exactly? Can Weber match Gray's production on the ground?

The Gophers will be the surprise of the Big 10, with great improvement on both sides of the ball. I know, bold predictions from one who professes to know very little, but I was fortunate to be a student at the U in 1967 when the Gophers last tied for the Big 10 title. I know that I am an eternal optimist when it comes to Gopher football, but I see many similarities between this team and the '67 Gophers. I would love to hear what other people think about this year's Gopher prospects.

GO GOPHERS!

Thanks for your report and opinions...I enjoyed this post and hope you're right...but please add more details.....

John4254
Class of 63 here but not from the UM. Will be on the outlook for you Saturday. You were fortunate to see the Gophers back in the good old days. The best I could do was listen on the radio living in North Dakota at the time.

Outstanding, sounds like a team without any weaknesses. Shall we just pencil in an undefeated season and a spot in the NC game?

Outstanding, sounds like a team without any weaknesses. Shall we just pencil in an undefeated season and a spot in the NC game?

Dear B1B,

Why not just have Wisky forfeit the Minnesota game so that they can concentrate on beating powerful Austin Peay? That way we can all spend the afternoon eating brats and beer. Things a little quiet on the Wisky Board?

I have saved the quarterback position for last, just to annoy all of the Adam Weber haters out there. I am pleased to report that Jeff Horton, the new OC, and Adam Weber himself, seemed to have gotten young Adam back on track. I predict that he is going to have a big season with improved accuracy, better protection from his offensive line, vastly improved receivers, who now know how to run their routes, and his confidence restored by the arrival of Horton, and the departure of one who shall remain nameless. He was very accurate passing during the scrimmage. Marquis Gray also looked very good, but he is not at the same level yet as AW.

GO GOPHERS!

This is the type of posting that gets a fan really excited!!! I hope to share some Golden Gopher memories with my 3 boys this year!!! I plan on taking them to some games!! And since I was born in '67, I really want the Gophers to win!!! I would rather have them win the Rose than have the Vikes win the Super. Not to rile anyone's feathers!!

Was the O-line giving Weber or Gray adequate time in the pocket

Enough time to click through at least 2-3 progressions without getting blasted?
Did the route running by the wide receivers look more crisp with the change in coaching.
I agree that Weber should be better getting away from the "one who shall remain nameless" comment about the OC last year with the exception I will give him the nickname. The hobbit
just could not help himself like Russell on survivor and immunity idols "well designed" plays and we are really going to fool them with this wrinkle was the name of the day for the hobbit and his playbook. May he never be referenced in Gopher lore again, rest in peace Jed Hobbit.

Many thanks. You trumped the local media and their anemic coverage. Those of us hoping for six victories are now dreaming of seven or more. Your post gets the adrenalin going...

That was a good read. This is the year when the talent should be all over the field. I like that you're seeing eyeball evidence of this. At some point we are going to be very good it's just hard to say when. Your post makes me think sooner rather than later.

Be careful what you post...

These are closed practices. Those of us that have been allowed access should not be posting what we saw. It's interesting and informative for all, but we were asked directly by staff NOT to post on the internet. Let's help the program, not try to get a few seconds of fame and possibly hurt it. Any info another program can get is helpful to them...let them see what should be seen at this point. This is not a whipping, just a suggestion.

Go Gophers!

Surprised to see the comment about Garin opposite Hageman. I thought Garin had been hurt and sitting out most of the contact drills. Is he back?

Top Bottom