some here need to chill out. stop reacting like complete fools at every tubby rumor

Reaction score
because it makes our fanbase look extremely immature and extremely insecure. it is actually kind of pathetic the way some of you "freak out" about every little thing out there that gets speculated about.

because it makes our fanbase look extremely immature and extremely insecure. it is actually kind of pathetic the way some of you "freak out" about every little thing out there that gets speculated about.

Agreed. I like coming here to see what the latest news/rumors are, but we should be able to discuss these news and rumors without it turning into personal bashing and panicking.

You would think some people would have learned from last year, but I guess not.

It really is getting ridiculous. People are losing their minds on here. We have already been through this more than four times with Tubby, yet every time people completely lose their minds yet every time he stays. More importantly he says he is not going and guess what, he does not go.

There have been a number of coaching openings lately and I have heard Wright and Seth Greenberg literally say the same thing that Tubby has said regarding other openings. What makes it true when Wright and Greenberg say it, but not when Tubby says it? People really need to get a grip.

Heck, if I was Tubby I would feel like I am dealing with an insecure girl friend that needed to be constanly told she's special or she would completely breakdown. . . .. . its completely exhausting.

So let's just relax and stop letting these media jokers from playing us again and again.

Just for the record, since the OP seems to be referring to my posts tonight. I didn't believe for a second the Oregon or Auburn rumors. I also didn't believe the Alabama or Arizona rumors last year at all either. I was concerned about Virginia and was very glad it all ended up the way it did. There are a select few programs that I would be concerned about and pretty much all of them are in the ACC. The Georgia Tech job just happens to be one of them, and it just happens to look like it is going to open up.

Frankly, I hope Hewitt stays and then we don't have to worry about it at all. I'm not up in arms or anything and I'm certainly not freaking out about it. You didn't see me posting about the Auburn opening because it was ludicrous that he would got there. I don't think Ga Tech is ludicrous at all.

Frankly, the people trying to shut up people who want to talk about other openings seem to be freaking out more than those that would like to discuss these possibilities.

While I think it looked that way CNJ I really think it was just about all the other threads that were going with rumors.

I think its honestly pathetic. I believe Tubby is a stand up guy, he said he is staying here and recruiting hard for next year. Yeah he could be lying but I believe him. People freaking out when every new college job opens up is getting old, I realize the season is over and there isnt much to talk about but come on.

Im gonna believe him at his word. If he leaves, then we can all bash him for being a liar.

Frankly, the people trying to shut up people who want to talk about other openings seem to be freaking out more than those that would like to discuss these possibilities.

That is a ridiculous statement. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!

That is a ridiculous statement. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!

Agreed. I find it quite amusing that the folks that are saying "quit freaking out" are now the ones being accused of "freaking out." Um, what? As for the original premise, I'm still trying to figure out why folks are TRULY freaking out about every single rumor mill statement around here. First it's Oregon. Then it's Auburn. Now it's Georgia Tech, Sampson transferring and us having virtually no players left for next season. I guess certain folks, in their zeal to want to look smart, figure the best way is to speculate on anything someone says relating to Tubby Smith.

I love GH but if people are judging our fanbase based on what is posted here we're in big trouble.

Yeah, but it is so much fun.

Thank you. This thread needed to start. It gets pretty old reading every single rumor.

Look, there's a possibility that the coach could leave. His name has been linked to several open jobs. Ga Tech is a real situation, period. Why shouldn't we discuss that? This is a message board. It isn't the official record of anything important. EVERY fan base that has a coach who is mentioned in rumors discusses those things on a message board. Doesn't mean they're weak or insecure.

And, it sure beats the alternative. Check out an Iowa board. They spent an entire year trying to get rid of the guy they had, and now are trying figure out who to hire.

Look, there's a possibility that the coach could leave. His name has been linked to several open jobs. Ga Tech is a real situation, period. Why shouldn't we discuss that? This is a message board. It isn't the official record of anything important. EVERY fan base that has a coach who is mentioned in rumors discusses those things on a message board. Doesn't mean they're weak or insecure.

And, it sure beats the alternative. Check out an Iowa board. They spent an entire year trying to get rid of the guy they had, and now are trying figure out who to hire.

But therein lies the rub in this case. His name has been linked to seemingly every open major job in the country since he got here. And none of it has amounted to anything. If something actually tangible takes place, then discuss it all you want. But what has been going on lately amounts more closely to wild conspiracy theories than anything else. I mean Hewitt hasn't even left Georgia Tech yet and people on this board are already worried that Tubby wants to go to Atlanta.

I know that won't stop people. But yeah, when people start throwing around wild possibilities without anything actually taking place, it's more than simple discussion. Rather, it's folks having a tizzy about things that may not actually have any merit.

I agree that there is no need to ignore potential destinations for Tubby or pretend that he has no options, but the mere mention of another opening is enough to send plenty of posters into "woe is me" death throws.

Ultimately there really isn't much to discuss about the potential for him leaving. You can sum up the discussion in about 10 posts assuming they are all well thought out and not freak-outs. It boils down to "A) Job is open. B) Does it seem to have some of the qualities Tubby might want." That's it. Everything else is pure speculation. I know that's a major point of a message board (to speculate), but honestly a "wait and see" approach is really the only option here once you've answered A and B from above. Once that's done the posts seem to move into the "freaking out" side of the line.

But therein lies the rub in this case. His name has been linked to seemingly every open major job in the country since he got here. And none of it has amounted to anything. If something actually tangible takes place, then discuss it all you want. But what has been going on lately amounts more closely to wild conspiracy theories than anything else. I mean Hewitt hasn't even left Georgia Tech yet and people on this board are already worried that Tubby wants to go to Atlanta.

I know that won't stop people. But yeah, when people start throwing around wild possibilities without anything actually taking place, it's more than simple discussion. Rather, it's folks having a tizzy about things that may not actually have any merit.

Better summation of my thoughts. +1000

I think there's an over reaction in this thread, though. There are not a great deal of posters in a "tizzy." Look through them. Oh, there are a few "fire Maturi if Tubby leaves" rants, but other than that, it has been basic dialogue. Folks are concerned, yes. Tizzy? I'm not seeing it.

I think there's an over reaction in this thread, though. There are not a great deal of posters in a "tizzy." Look through them. Oh, there are a few "fire Maturi if Tubby leaves" rants, but other than that, it has been basic dialogue. Folks are concerned, yes. Tizzy? I'm not seeing it.

I guess we're just seeing things differently then. I might also be having flashbacks to last year (tracking flights from Holman Field anyone?). In any case, there's a fine line between discussion and irrationality. And we got there last year with the whole Virginia thing. As such, I keep a wary eye on discussions such as the ones I have seen over the past few days.

I'll admit, I'm probably guilty of seeing the smoke and thinking that there is plenty of fire. That said, there is currently a thread about whether Tubby would leave IF the GTech job opens. JohnnyG says it has legs and yes that is worrisome given his track record. But there is a 3 page thread based on an IF. It also contains posts wondering what our coach's wife would think about moving to Georgia and wondering if she really likes it here. I agree that her opinion will matter greatly to Tubby and could help decide what he chooses to do now or in the future. But in the meantime there is a 3 page thread with arguments about why Tubby might leave or if his wife would be interested in moving for a job that isn't even open yet. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Update: Now there is a thread started that Tubby will go to Florida IF Billy Donovan goes to Oregon. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I guess we have different definitions of what a "tizzy" or "freaking out" is.

So, a few threads are started about it. So what? It is a message board. That's why they exist. Almost every post on here is based on "what if" situations or discussing something that has been said or written about the Gophers. That's all that is happening here. No big deal.

Freaking out to me would be if people were saying IF Tubby leaves the Gophers will never win another game. We'll drop out of the Big Ten. Its the end of the program forever. The Barn will empty next year.

Frankly, I've been impressed with the LACK of "jump of the bridge" type of posts. I've seen very few of those, if any.

To me it seems the general attitude is -- Tubby's name it out there, he might leave, let's talk about it, if he goes, that would suck, but we'll hire someone who is good who will inherit some good players. If anything, its been fairly well contained, IMHO.

That is fine on a message board.

I guess we have different definitions of what a "tizzy" or "freaking out" is.

So, a few threads are started about it. So what? It is a message board. That's why they exist.

Freaking out to me would be if people were saying IF Tubby leaves the Gophers will never win another game. We'll drop out of the Big Ten. Its the end of the program forever. The Barn will empty next year.

Frankly, I've been impressed with the LACK of "jump of the bridge" type of posts. I've seen very few of those, if any.

To me it seems the general attitude is -- Tubby's name it out there, he might leave, let's talk about it, if he goes, that would suck, but we'll hire someone who is good who will inherit some good players. If anything, its been fairly well contained, IMHO.

That is fine on a message board.

I appreciate what you're saying. But like I said, the whole Virginia nonsense that happened last year where folks on this board were literally having meltdowns for what amounted to nothing was completely over the top. From a more rational perspective, perhaps a better word would be "redundant" for what is being talked about because we've been going through the same song and dance for three years now. And it always comes down to the same answer "I don't want Tubby to leave, but if he does, we'll get a good coach" and so on and so forth. We've now done it with Virginia, Oregon, Auburn and now thanks to PA, we'll probably have to do it again with Florida because people want to speculate on Billy Donovan heading to Oregon. When does it stop?

Top Bottom