Some Candidates

This is complete nonsense.... the gophers have tried this for 20 years with Whacker, Mason, and Brewster and it has not worked. You need a staff that can Coach not one that can recruit. The brewster experiment is proof enough that recruiting takes a backseat to coaching any day of the week. Look at the Boise St. model. Before Boise came onto the national stage Peterson was landing 2 star recruits but turning them into 4 and 5 star athletes by the time they left. It is all coaching.

Mason certainly wouldn't have been considered a "recruiter".

Wacker was probably thought of as a guy who could pull kids from Texas, but he certainly wasn't a guy that people thought couldn't coach. He had 20 years of head coaching experience at multiple levels and had success before taking the Gopher job. In hindsight, we look at him as more of a "recruiter".

We really only tried it with Brewster, turned out he couldn't coach. It would be nice to find a guy who could do both. However, it would be a mistake (IMO) to think that recruiting was meaningless now in the development of a program.

Look at the Boise St. model...It is all coaching.

So with this logic Dirk Koetter should have had success when he left there, since it's "all coaching". You might want to ask the fans of ASU what they think of him.

And, following Koetter, Dan Hawkins proved his chops at Boise, since it's "all coaching", and he moved on to bring Colorado to the big stage. At 19-34 overall in Colorado, I'm starting to think it is more than just coaching.

No, just a weak conference and carefully selected non-conference games.

Mason certainly wouldn't have been considered a "recruiter".

Wacker was probably thought of as a guy who could pull kids from Texas, but he certainly wasn't a guy that people thought couldn't coach. He had 20 years of head coaching experience at multiple levels and had success before taking the Gopher job. In hindsight, we look at him as more of a "recruiter".

We really only tried it with Brewster, turned out he couldn't coach. It would be nice to find a guy who could do both. However, it would be a mistake (IMO) to think that recruiting was meaningless now in the development of a program.

Where have you been the past 20 years? Wacker was going to bring the great "Texas speed" to MN because the Midwest kids couldn't cut it and Wacker failed. Mason was going to use his Ohio connections to bring in the talent from Ohio and he failed. Finally, Brewster was hired because of his fantastic abilitly to recruit and he failed.

We have tried to hire a coach with recruiting pipelines in other states before and it has not worked. All we get is everyone else's leftovers. Recruiting is important but not anywhere near as important as finding a proven head coach.

A proven head coach has an area typical talent hotbed outside of their state (generally) where they recruit heavily. Recruiting is just as important a piece of the pie as coaching.

Recruiting is important but not anywhere near as important as finding a proven head coach.

So what "proven head coach" (or coaches) are on your short list that guarantees future success? Let me guess...hmmm...maybe someone from the Duluth area? There are a lot of good x and o guys out there, but there is 1 hell of a lot more to running a successful BCS program than just coachin' 'em up.

Urban Meyer, his health will force him to transfer to the only D1 football program within a short drive of the Mayo Clinic. Plus his gimmicky spread offense is starting to fail at Florida. :) Turns out it was all Tim Tebow and Urban wants to get out before anyone notices.

Selective editing you must be a fan of Fox News... why don't you use the whole quote D-Bag

Nope. Hate Republicanism and everything it stands for. When a statement is made that stands on its own, there is no need to quote the entire paragraph. D-Bag.

So what "proven head coach" (or coaches) are on your short list that guarantees future success? There are a lot of good x and o guys out there, but there is 1 hell of a lot more to running a successful BCS program than just coachin' 'em up.

I can't believe there are people still trying to argue that recruiting is more important than coaching. The Tim Brewster experiment is solid evidence on the importance of coaching over recruiting. Look at his record versus the Dakotas. Coaching not only includes improving the players that you bring in but also comes down to making the right play call at the right time and having players on the field that can make plays. Brewster has failed in all three areas. In every game of the season, except USC, the gophers have been more talented, but the gophers are 1-4. In every game the gophers get out coached. The play calling is questionable at best. Brewster keeps the same players on the field regardless of the mistakes they make. Brewster has a whole sideline full of kids that he recruited. Kids that he brought in because he thought they could play, but yet we see the same guys on the field every Saturday. Coaching isn't just X's and O's. Every guy coaching at the collegiate level can draw up plays. Jed Fisch had a huge playbook and look where that got us. So it's not an X's and O's guy that we need.

I have already told the board that Nielson up at UMD is my top choice.

I can't believe there are people still trying to argue that recruiting is more important than coaching. The Tim Brewster experiment is solid evidence on the importance of coaching over recruiting. Look at his record versus the Dakotas. Coaching not only includes improving the players that you bring in but also comes down to making the right play call at the right time and having players on the field that can make plays. Brewster has failed in all three areas. In every game of the season, except USC, the gophers have been more talented, but the gophers are 1-4. In every game the gophers get out coached. The play calling is questionable at best. Brewster keeps the same players on the field regardless of the mistakes they make. Brewster has a whole sideline full of kids that he recruited. Kids that he brought in because he thought they could play, but yet we see the same guys on the field every Saturday. Coaching isn't just X's and O's. Every guy coaching at the collegiate level can draw up plays. Jed Fisch had a huge playbook and look where that got us. So it's not an X's and O's guy that we need.

I have already told the board that Nielson up at UMD is my top choice.

Citing one coach at one school over a 4 year period, and holding it up as providential truth.

I can't argue with that. Your logic is infallible.

Which of Nielson's tenures as head coach at UMD is most impressive to you, Hava? While being a good coach, he didn't exactly set to Northland on fire in his first stint.

We don't need a staff that knows the area, we need a staff that knows Florida, Texas, California, Ohio & Pennsylvania.

This is incorrect. Please go back a few years and write down the names of impact players on Gopher teams. An awful lot of them were or are from the Upper Midwest in general and quite a number from Minnesota specifically. Oh, alright, let me help. Ron Johnson, Marion Barber, Greg Eslinger, Setterstrom, Utecht, Tapeh, Dom Barber, a guy named Decker . . . okay, you fill in the rest. And notice how many are the "skill" players we're not supposed to have around here.

Point is, if you add to these a lot of other players who were recruited away from the region, it begins to look as though we'd better darn well know our area and be as effective as possible recruiting from it. It's more important than grabbing two or three-star players from Florida and Texas, you know, the ones Oklahoma, the Longhorns, Aggies and Gators leave behind. Minnesota and other regional players seem to don the Maroon and Gold with a bit more pride and also seem to develop post-high school at a pretty good rate. We've seen a lot more Minnesota two-stars turn into really good players than similarly talented recruits coming in from other parts of the country.

Now don't go off half-cocked. I'm not saying don't recruit out of state. That would be foolish. But I am saying that what seems like a widely accepted recruiting formula has been done ad nauseum around here without the results most fans want. Let's start at home, broaden the geographic circle as we go and reach out every now and then for a really good player / citizen, someone like Kirksey or Gray.

Maxwell,

What did those teams get us? The best was a T-4 in the big ten. I hope that isn't the ceiling you want set for the football program. The problem is the instate players that are needed to get the U above the prior level would rather pay their way to the "U", go to another program past its prime (ND), or play for our rival for the chance to finish in between 3rd and 6th in the conference. So while you chide Brewster for attempting to recruit players outstate, lets not forget that he is also trying to get all of the best instate players at the same time.

Nope. Hate Republicanism and everything it stands for. When a statement is made that stands on its own, there is no need to quote the entire paragraph. D-Bag.

Please explain what Republicanism is and why you hate it?

Please take your question somewhere else.

Please explain what Republicanism is and why you hate it?

No. This is a football board, not a political chatroom. Take that BS elsewhere.

I was simply responding to the piss-poor and horribly off-topic attempt at slander by the intellectual peon who is either Bob Nielson's mom or his girlfriend.

For the record, I was using the word Republicanism as representative of the modern GOP platform, not classical Republicanism as a form of government. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I was simply responding to the piss-poor and horribly off-topic attempt at slander by the intellectual peon who is either Bob Nielson's mom or his girlfriend.

For the record, I was using the word Republicanism as representative of the modern GOP platform, not classical Republicanism as a form of government. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Those are a lot of large words.

Hire Calhoun.

Coaching not only includes improving the players that you bring in but also comes down to making the right play call at the right time and having players on the field that can make plays.

I think that getting the best players on the field is one of the most critical aspects of coaching. As a fan you will never know if that is being accomplished though.

Coaching is a big chunk of it.

What are we talking about here? If I understand you correctly you are saying that coaching is a big chunk of being a coach. I think we can agree on that!

Classic... tough talking via a message board. Before you criticize someones intelligence you might want to check your usage of the word slander. Slander refers to speaking falsehoods about someone else while libel on the other hand refers to written falsehoods about someone. You would want to use the word libel in this situation since we are on a message board. But you probably knew that already too.

Maybe Tony is Todd's brother. Their parents must be proud. Stud defensive coordinator and a lounge singer.

Yikes! All these names are in the virtue-by-association category, including Trestman. This kind of approach has net us absolutely nothing since 1971. Go for a winning head coach and pay the freight. The Twin Cities is one of the nation's most attractive big deal urban areas; the U is first rate, top 25 in almost every major, including great law and medical schools; beautiful new stadium, other fine facilities and a football rich tradion second to none (six national championshiops). If dreary places like Iowa city and Lincoln, Neb., can build winners, we should be able to do it, too, and not with assistants, lower division coaches, people who know someone or worked with someone successful and that might rub off, etc. Go for a winner and pay him accordingly, then you'll win and get the revenue not only to pay his salary, but to expand the stadium and do what Nebraska and Iowa and Wisconsin have been able to do in recent decades.

Tere's no chance b/c he's Beamer heir apparent, but I just can't believe Bud Foster (D Coord.; VA Tech) hasn't been lured out of Blacksburg by now. Young, brilliant coach. They D it up every single year regardless of personnel losses.

Urban Meyer, his health will force him to transfer to the only D1 football program within a short drive of the Mayo Clinic. Plus his gimmicky spread offense is starting to fail at Florida. :) Turns out it was all Tim Tebow and Urban wants to get out before anyone notices.

Well, if Mayo Clinic is the draw, he wouldn't have to leave Florida. All he would have to do is go the the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. By the way, there is also the Mayo Clinic New England located in Boston and Mayo Clinic Scottsdale. Didn't mean to burst your bubble. Mayo Clinic is no longer an exclusive property of Rochester.

Top Bottom