Some brutal stats

anonymous

Reaction score
Here is where the Gophers rank nationally in several statistical categories. All of these are out of 120.

Total offense: 114th
Rushing offense: 105th
Scoring offense: 90th

Third-down conversion defense: 115th.
Total defense: 92nd

Good news:
Net punting and punt returns: 6th

Bring back Dunbar?

More good news...might be hitting bottom...

can't seem to get much worse on O/D...or can it?

Interestingly, we rank 11th in the BT in total offense with 2,056 yards. Illinois ranks 10th, with 2,151 through six games. We've played seven. (Source is the BTN Web site, but I'm on my mobile and couldn't copy the link.)

I love Brewster and am really happy with a lot of the new talent on this team, but these stats are just appalling. For those who believe we couldn't bring in Gray to QB for a few series a game becuase it would prove to be worse, we've only got six spots to drop from 114 to 120. It literally couldn't get much worse.

Third-down conversion defense: 115th.

This is the one that's causing my hair to gray. Look at any given game, and the Gophers defense will allow more conversions on third and longs - 8, 10, 12, 15 yards - than some teams allow in a season. Many of the poor statistical rankings of the defense can be traced directly to this stat and the lack of execution in these situations.

I think the defense has played better except for the aforementioned third-and-long breakdowns that have hounded this team since the Gutekunst era. Always seem to be breakdowns and I hoped that better athletes on defense would change that. Unfortunately, it hasn't.

Top Bottom