Solomon Brown in Portal

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
FL product, CB Solomon Brown, has entered the transfer portal. I wonder if the play of Bishop and Stapp, and perhaps some other young players such as Ortiz, caused him to seek greener pastures. Seems like a good kid. Wish him the best.

FL product, CB Solomon Brown, has entered the transfer portal. I wonder if the play of Bishop and Stapp, and perhaps some other young players such as Ortiz, caused him to seek greener pastures. Seems like a good kid. Wish him the best.
Yeah, he’s a bit down the depth chart with Bishop and Stapp being the same year. Good transfer all around.

He had Florida Atlantic and FIU offers out of high school, I suspect that he winds up somewhere down in Florida. Best of luck to him.

We're losing so many guys today to NIL - not in lineup.

tumblr_mn9ellwM7z1qfhw7ko1_500.gif

Times are different. NIL and the Free Transfer Portal are shaking things up.
guys have more and immediate options when the depth chart isn't shaping up their way.

most of the transfers have been timed at points where the depth chart becomes more clear - after season end, first spring practices, end of spring ball.

these guys are the ones leaving for Not In Lineup and probably will end up down a level, except for Bucky Irving who seemed to bolt when he wasn't the primary starter on the first day of spring camp.

The Gopher football roster has been a revolving door from the beginning of last season.

Not a great look.
We had to get back to 85. That meant we either had to have a tiny recruiting class and no incoming transfers or a bunch would have to leave. Vast majority of guys who are leaving would not have played much if at all in 2022. Won’t be like this every year as things normalize again in terms of scholarships and class sizes.

That said, the portal is here to stay so increased player movement is just something people have to get used to.

It may also be a good sign that we have good players and some marginal players are leaving earlier than they would in the past because they know they won't get playing time.

The RB situation is the only one that is frustrating, but when you have 5 Big Ten caliber running backs, something has to give. Guys just won't stick it out on the bench like they used to in the new era of NIL and transfers galore.

How many of those were in the 2 deeps? 1?

Yeah we'll be just fine.
Gotta think the portal explosion is a dream come true for some true freshman because it can quickly shoot them up the depth chart some.

Look at a kid like Ike White. He won't have to battle - Boyd, Annexstad, Emelien, McGill, Adim-Maudere, Ubidock and Mann for reps.

Gotta think the portal explosion is a dream come true for some true freshman because it can quickly shoot them up the depth chart some.

Look at a kid like Ike White. He won't have to battle - Boyd, Annexstad, Emelien, McGill, Adim-Maudere, Ubidock and Mann for reps.
I think it goes both ways. You can move up ... and then just as quickly get behind some new guys who come in or the next line of freshman ...

I think it goes both ways. You can move up ... and then just as quickly get behind some new guys who come in or the next line of freshman ...
definitely. Thinking specifically of true freshman though who in most cases are not going to be asked to play anyway. Gives them a chance to show what they can do quicker when guys in front of them who were stuck down on the depth chart move out of the way.

But it certainly could go the other direction as well.

The Gopher football roster has been a revolving door from the beginning of last season.

Not a great look.
I know, these kids are acting like they don’t have to sit out a year and can get paid….looks the same as every other program in this environment.

Or another way to look at it is the guys who left don't have to battle Ike White for reps. The players know and understand quickly which newcomers have big time talent.

Or another way to look at it is the guys who left don't have to battle Ike White for reps. The players know and understand quickly which newcomers have big time talent.
The players that left after the spring game didn’t really have a choice. The team needed to get under the scholarship limit, PJ met with them on Sunday and let them know they have to go. Quite a few that still wanted to be Gophers.

The players that left after the spring game didn’t really have a choice. The team needed to get under the scholarship limit, PJ met with them on Sunday and let them know they have to go. Quite a few that still wanted to be Gophers.
Not the direction I’ve wanted for Gopher Sports, but also understand the rules have changed. I just hope that Fleck and staff are helping these players find other teams to transfer to.

There are teams that are having a hard time attaining 85 scholarship players (having lost so many players). We have the opposite problem. Hopefully, now that we are mostly past the COVID bubble, this “over abundance” won’t be a problem in coming years.

True, but schools with as large a turnover as the Gophers should expect locker room issues because not everyone meshes immediately.

Hopefully it works out, but there's stuff probably happening behind the scenes that fans will never know about.

That's why Fleck makes the big bucks.

True, but schools with as large a turnover as the Gophers should expect locker room issues because not everyone meshes immediately.

Hopefully it works out, but there's stuff probably happening behind the scenes that fans will never know about.

That's why Fleck makes the big bucks.
Gonna bet Fleck is better than most about not bringing in players who won't mesh with the personality of the team quickly.

As for the turnover, this year was going to have to be high for us to get down to 85 scholarships and still sign a decent sized recruiting class even without the incoming transfers. Most of the guys leaving were not guys that were likely to be a factor in 2022 anyway.

Lots of player movement happening all over the country. This is not unique to the Gophers.

You created an account just to post this? I'll believe it when i see one of those players who were forced to leave goes on record with this allegation. So far, all of the players leaving/entering the portal have nothing but good things to say about Fleck, etc....

You created an account just to post this? I'll believe it when i see one of those players who were forced to leave goes on record with this allegation. So far, all of the players leaving/entering the portal have nothing but good things to say about Fleck, etc....
It's certainly not unheard of to get "processed" but I agree I raised an eyebrow at brand new account. Then again how else would we hear about it?

At the same time you rarely hear anyone talk about that process including the folks who are supposedly asked to leave.

I never know what to believe.

Not a great look.
It's a fine and healthy look. One free transfer allows for players to adjust up and down. We lose players who for the most part -- Anderson, Thomas, and Erving excepted -- won't play here and we replace them with guys who will have an immediate impact.

We are improving the team through portal subtractions and additions.

It seems far more likely to me that they created an account to report what they heard (whether true or not). I mean, if you're going to create an account to troll, is that the moment you've been waiting for?

It's a fine and healthy look. One free transfer allows for players to adjust up and down. We lose players who for the most part -- Anderson, Thomas, and Erving excepted -- won't play here and we replace them with guys who will have an immediate impact.

We are improving the team through portal subtractions and additions.
Thomas and Irving are two big losses.

Especially not knowing if Potts and Ibrahim are 100%.

What's your source?

Top Bottom