Solid Tubby Interview

If anyone listens to this could they provide a brief synopsis? I have no sound on this computer.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link - that was a good interview. Here is a recap - I didn't dictate all of the Q&A as we've heard a lot of it many times, but I tried my best to capture all/most of the Nolen stuff:

On what the young guys have learned this year:
Our guys have learned a lot of life lessons. On the court they’ve learned that you have to practice, practice, practice. This last game we didn’t make the plays we needed to make. But we played solid basketball. Our young guys are learning to play the post game.

On finishing games out:
We have a lot of young guys that were out there in Devoe, Ralph and Colt, but that’s not an excuse.

Was this the toughest loss:
They are all the tough losses.

Do you question your decision to call a timeout?
I don’t mind being questioned. That’s part of the job. My wife questions me all the time.

On playing time and spreading the minutes around:
Guys earn their minutes. We keep hustle and efficiency charts and that helps dictate minutes.

Has this team done the grunt work better since you complained publically about it?
Yes, definitely. We’ve done a better job taking charges and diving on the ground. I like what I am seeing and the way we are playing.

On Ralph Sampson:
He’s coming along. Most big guys take a while to develop. He’s really improving and he’s working hard. He’s more confident and stronger and starting to mature.

On missing out on three key players:
You know you make plans in the offseason and you pencil guys in. Ron Gardenhire in Florida is penciling guys in right now. Guys like Trevor and Royce haven’t played but we saw the potential they have and we knew we need inside rebounding and scoring. But you can’t cry over spilled milk. The guys that are playing are continuing to improve. We’ve lost 6-7 games that came down to one or two possessions. That’s just the way it is. I don’t worry about speculation though.

On Al Nolen getting suspended despite having access to tutors:
You will have to ask Al that. It’s no one’s fault but Al’s.

How much help does a guy like Al get?
You will have to ask Al that. Get him on air and ask him.

Does the staff tell you Al is in trouble?
Yes, everyone knew he was in trouble. Al is a junior.

What are the limitations on what you can do as a staff to help Al?
You can suspend him, sit him, but as the HC we said Al, we see what you are doing do you feel like you can do it on your own?

What will it take to get into the NCAA tournament?
It depends on how we do in the last three games. But the only thing we control is if we win the BTT.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks BG!

Certainly a couple of shots at Al.

Thanks Bleed. I guess seniority wouldn't matter for Al's playing time if CJ came.

I'm surprised the hacks over at KFAN even know Tubby is the Gophers coach since they admit they don't even watch the games

Top Bottom