So you're saying there's a chance?

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
I thought I'd get some data out so we could see the full picture. I don't really know what the bowl picture is, who goes where and all that as I think the whole bowl game BCS thing is a joke so I pay like zero attention except where the gophers go. Anyway, here is the standings of the teams with three wins or more in the Big Ten and the Games they have left.

Iowa..................5-0.....9-0......Northwestern....@OSU............Minnesota
Penn State.........4-1.....8-1.........OSU................Indiana......@Michigan State
Ohio [email protected].........@Michigan
Skunkville...........3-2.....6-2......@Indiana............Michigan.....@Northwestern.....@Hawaii
Minnesota..........3-3.....5-4.......Illinois................SoDAK.......@Iowa
Michigan State....3-3.....4-5......W [email protected]

My contention is only that the die is not cast. Our odds of winning the Big Ten is almost zero, but i think there is a sliver of hope to move up a notch and get a better bowl.

I thought I'd get some data out so we could see the full picture. I don't really know what the bowl picture is, who goes where and all that as I think the whole bowl game BCS thing is a joke so I pay like zero attention except where the gophers go. Anyway, here is the standings of the teams with three wins or more in the Big Ten and the Games they have left.

Iowa..................5-0.....9-0......Northwestern....@OSU............Minnesota
Penn [email protected]......@Michigan State
Ohio State..........4-1.....7-2......PSU...................Iowa.........@Michigan
Skunkville...........3-2.....6-2......@Indiana............Michigan.....@Northwestern.....@Hawaii
Minnesota..........3-3.....5-4.......Illinois................SoDAK.......@Iowa
Michigan State....3-3.....4-5......W [email protected]

My contention is only that the die is not cast. Our odds of winning the Big Ten is almost zero, but i think there is a sliver of hope to move up a notch and get a better bowl.

I think our odds of winning the Big Ten are exactly zero.
We can definitely hold out hope about moving up. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's far from impossible.

It is zero isn't it. I was thinking there was a .001 chance but either OSU or PSU will win saturday which will mean at best we could tie. But either way, I'm more interested in the prospects of moving up a notch. Getting that fourth spot.

There's no way to win outright, but we could still have a share of it.

It's not zero, but really, really unlikely. Iowa would have to tank, losing all 3. OSU and PSU would have to lose 2 out of 3. Wisconsin would have to lose 1 out of 3. And we would have to beat both Illinois and Iowa of course. Slim chance, but not zero.

If it happened, I'd be thrilled beyond belief. A shared conference title, even one shared 5 ways, is still a conference title. But I'm not concerned with it, all we can concern ourselves with is our own games.

Realistically our one great hope for moving up is to have Wisconsin tank the end of the year. Wisconsin COULD feasibly lose on the road to Northwestern and Indiana (road games are never gimmes), and COULD feasibly lose to Michigan (Jekyll and Hyde team if there ever was one) ... therein lies our best shot at moving up ... because they would then finish the season at 3-5, and unless we screw the pooch on Saturday, we'll finish 4-4 or better.

Now, also realistically, the chances of that happening are <5%. But ... there's a chance, yes.

I will point out that OSU has to get by both PSU and Iowa and then finish up at Michigan. odds are they win one of them, but that's not automatic.

And if Iowa which has used up all nine lives and falters at NW they might not fare well in OSU and may need the win against us for their 6th win.

It's tricky.

FYI - the OSU/PSU game is at Happy Valley, not Columbus.

I don't care how the conference turns out, I'm really looking forward to going into Kinnick against a potential 11-0 team and wiping them off the field. Single most important game of our remaining season (Regardless if we lose the next two; a win against IA would make us bowl eligible).

Get the pig. Get the taste of 55-0 out of your mouths.

So you're saying there's a chance?

It just baffles me how almost everyone gets this Dumb & Dumber quote wrong by saying the same exact thing. So many people know the quote and know the reference - yet I'd venture that at least 75% of the time when people try to use this quote they say the exact same thing as in the title. A lot of people mess up quotes but it amazes me that everyone seems to say "so you're saying there's a chance." Just kind of an odd thing I've noticed over the years about my favorite movie of all time.

It just baffles me how almost everyone gets this Dumb & Dumber quote wrong by saying the same exact thing. So many people know the quote and know the reference - yet I'd venture that at least 75% of the time when people try to use this quote they say the exact same thing as in the title. A lot of people mess up quotes but it amazes me that everyone seems to say "so you're saying there's a chance." Just kind of an odd thing I've noticed over the years about my favorite movie of all time.

Dumb and dumber may have popularized the schtick but it goes way back. The concept can be captured in any way the user wants to use it. Deal with it.

Top Bottom