So we might miss out on the "big three" so what...

I know you're being sarcastic but Grant and Smart were hired as assistants to the CAA. They weren't competing against Izzo, Mata, Beilein, Ryan, Painter, and Crean. This is not to mention a low end which now features some of the best former mid major headcoaches in Miles, McCaffery, and Groce.

Doesn't matter. If they're hidden talent, our new basketball genius will have to mine them. We've already tried luring his former stars. Apparently we have offered Shaka $3.5 million. No dice. They don't want Flip. The only option is to mine the precious Villa 7 for the next star.

Minnesota has a once-in-50 years recruiting class. Who cares if land any of them? Our AD is a genius who managed to figure out that hiring an assistant off a staff that just won back-to-back national championships might be a good idea. And he started a conference for coaches to network. No one had ever thought of it before. Let's not worry about whether we land any of these kids. What matters is our AD is clearly a basketball genius. OK. Hope you're right. :cool: I'll do my best not to puke when we hire Rashon Burno or Anthony Evans next week.

There are other states other years - build a program and some of those stars will come here then. Its a damn shame the program isn't there now but it isn't. No one can fix it in time for them so focus on long run improvements. That is all that can really be done.

I don't get the hysteria around the possibility of losing out on Jones, Vaughn and Reid. Sure, it will be unbelievable to land any of these kids, historical if we land all three but let's be real...it's not going to happen. Jones is as good as gone. Vaughn and Reid are better hopes and more realistic. But if we don't land any...big deal. It's not the end of the program.

Look how well it worked out the last time we recruited two of the biggest names in the state? One was afraid of airplanes and the other was a professional dunker. Did it enrich our program at all. Not really.

It won't be the last time Minnesota develops high caliber talent our Youth, High School and AAU programs are stronger than ever and always compete at a high level nationally. More Jones, Vaughns and Reids are coming down the pipe if we swing and miss this season. Minnesota is and will be solid for years to come, just ask the Wisconsin recruiters.

I'd rather hire a coach who can continue to build a respectable and attractive program where our local recruits -- and national -- would be excited to commit and play for, than just grab a sexy hire who "might" interest the current big three and then maybe flame out within a couple years. If Norwood hires an unknown assistant from Tech College State, then let's give him a chance and support, because at one time Shaka and even Coach K were unknown assistants.

I agree with the idea that the program can still potentially have a bright future without these guys, but some of the other stuff you said is a bit crazy. First of all, Tyus and Rashad as a duo are at a whole different level than Royce and Rodney. Not comparable at all. Not even close. Also, more Jones' and Vaughns' coming down the pipe? Is this a serious statement? Tyus and Rashad are likely the two best high school players Minnesota has ever produced. That's not to say that there isn't more talent coming, because there absolutely is, but to say there are more of these guys coming as if we produce the #1 point guard and #1 shooting guard in the country on a regular basis is flat out crazy. It's possible that we may never see guys of their caliber in this state ever again.

Having said that, there are other guys (Illikainen, Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey to name a few) that are very talented and would be huge pickups if we are fortunate enough to land them. We can certainly build a very good program with the other guys coming up in Minnesota (Henry would a be a ridiculous pickup too).

There are other states other years - build a program and some of those stars will come here then. Its a damn shame the program isn't there now but it isn't. No one can fix it in time for them so focus on long run improvements. That is all that can really be done.

Other states and other years? Give me a break. There are a lot more 'other coaching searches' then there will be recruiting classes like this. Ability to land at least one of these guys should be very high on the criteria for a candidate. Flip for sure met this one. Tubby at least had a shot with them. Hot Villa Assistant Coach #7 almost certainly will not. If that's who we end up with, I hope he can pull a rabbit from a hat. Otherwise his first recruiting class will be an F and his tenure off to a rocky start.

Well I accepted the fact that we probably weren't going to land the Big 3 with Tubby and now I would say Flip was our best shot, but unless Marshall or Buzz or some other wildcard comes through the door, it's probably less likely will land and of the big three now, which is fine as long as none of them go to big ten schools

Well I accepted the fact that we probably weren't going to land the Big 3 with Tubby and now I would say Flip was our best shot, but unless Marshall or Buzz or some other wildcard comes through the door, it's probably less likely will land and of the big three now, which is fine as long as none of them go to big ten schools

Jones is looking at MSU hard isn't he? They are the most likely if signing was today - at least that is what I've read.

Other states and other years? Give me a break. There are a lot more 'other coaching searches' then there will be recruiting classes like this. Ability to land at least one of these guys should be very high on the criteria for a candidate. Flip for sure met this one. Tubby at least had a shot with them. Hot Villa Assistant Coach #7 almost certainly will not. If that's who we end up with, I hope he can pull a rabbit from a hat. Otherwise his first recruiting class will be an F and his tenure off to a rocky start.

I disagree - its a crap shoot - these kids are all one and done's anyway. Worry about building teams that win - not develop a couple hot shots for the pros. If they want to be part of building a program - great we are going to hire a guy who wants to do that. If not go to Kentucky play your one year and turn pro.

People are way too obsessed about these three - worry about the TEAM.

I disagree - its a crap shoot - these kids are all one and done's anyway. Worry about building teams that win - not develop a couple hot shots for the pros. If they want to be part of building a program - great we are going to hire a guy who wants to do that. If not go to Kentucky play your one year and turn pro.

People are way too obsessed about these three - worry about the TEAM.

Five star recruits are typically winners.

Minnesota has a once-in-50 years recruiting class. Who cares if land any of them? Our AD is a genius who managed to figure out that hiring an assistant off a staff that just won back-to-back national championships might be a good idea. And he started a conference for coaches to network. No one had ever thought of it before. Let's not worry about whether we land any of these kids. What matters is our AD is clearly a basketball genius. OK. Hope you're right. :cool: I'll do my best not to puke when we hire Rashon Burno or Anthony Evans next week.
Pretty much what I'm thinking also. Dwanye Stephens, Aki Collins, Jeff Boals, etc. Did I miss any Villa assistant coach guys that were in play this weekend?

Terrible news if we strike out on big 3, Never before has the U has lost out on the 3 top in state basketball prospects . Other top recruits will think if their home state kids do not want to play there why should I!!! Therefore really hurting recruiting and winning.... Clem, Dutcher, Monson, and Tubby possibly lost out on 3 kids total over several years... not in a short period of time

It won't be the end of the world if we miss on the Big 3, but it's certainly a missed opportunity. Realistically there aren't many paths for the Gophers to become national title contending type program, and right now we have guys in our backyard that could take us to that point. I don't care who we hire, as long as he can get these 3 to stay at home. The success and attention that will come with will set up our program for the immediate future.

Top Bottom