So how do you guys really feel about Huskers coming to town?

Hey guys, been a while, not a whole lot to post about, my team has had it's struggles these last few years but how does everyone feel about this game?
I think the game will be a battle. Regarding your team coming to town? Welcome! We both hate dislike Ioaw football.

Looking forward to a good clean game!

Cheers!

No programs other than Minnesota from the mid 30s to early 40s and current Alabama can claim to hold a candle to what Nebraska was in the 90s. I never understand why people use that as a cudgel against them for accomplishing something that has few equals.
Simple. No one gives a crap what happened 20/40/70 years ago.

College football has changed drastically from the glory days of some of these programs. There were so many programs that were successful because academic and athletic requirements were different than they are today.

Tom Osborn was partially successful because kids got admitted to Nebraska that wouldn't get admitted to other programs. The stories about law enforcement contacting the head coach before beginning any investigation into bad behavior are legendary.

Nebraska no longer has advantages they had then. Hence... they are no longer relevant.

BTW: I've also noticed Gopher fans seem way more cordial to Husker fans than Wisconsin and Iowa fans. Might have something to do with the w/l record.

College football has changed drastically from the glory days of some of these programs. There were so many programs that were successful because academic and athletic requirements were different than they are today.

Tom Osborn was partially successful because kids got admitted to Nebraska that wouldn't get admitted to other programs. The stories about law enforcement contacting the head coach before beginning any investigation into bad behavior are legendary.

Nebraska no longer has advantages they had then. Hence... they are no longer relevant.

BTW: I've also noticed Gopher fans seem way more cordial to Husker fans than Wisconsin and Iowa fans. Might have something to do with the w/l record.
I think what GHers are pointing out is that Nebby still recruits well but it has not translated to the field. With Husker fans, it's that they are nice and accommodating. Met a group in Portland at Deschutes brewpub the Friday before the Gophs played Oregon St and they were great. Nebby was playing Oregon. They had seats at the bar and got us drinks when needed as well as giving us their spots when they left.

Mn/Ne for me has turned into a fun rivalry

I've traveled to lincoln twice now and plan to go back, one of places I prefer to go on B1G road trips

Game itself is a toss up, both teams are inconsistent. Nebraska "needs" the win more than MN, I have hard time seeing them getting bowl eligible without beating MN. I keep hearing people say NE is better than their record, their record is what it is because multiple games they shoot themselves in the foot, at some point, that is who you are.

It's cliche, but I think NE will win if they manage to not turn the ball and over and/or have untimely penalties

If MN can force few turnovers, get NE guessing, holding, they should come away victorious

I don't have a problem.
Could you do one favor for me though? If you drive through Iowa on your way up could you stop in each town along the way and take a dump on the front steps of every town hall?
I suggest you eat a tub of Lloyd's pulled pork before you leave.

I personally am cordial to all of our rivals. No reason to hate on my neighbors due to sports. Lastly, I respect what Nebraska accomplished, as well as Wisconsin and Iowa, because I wish to attain similar status. I don't understand why many gopher fans try to insult Nebraska by saying "you'll never again be one of the greatest contemporary programs of all time". Other than Alabama no one has been on that level since. Many people never made it that high and I laud their accomplishments.

I think what GHers are pointing out is that Nebby still recruits well but it has not translated to the field. With Husker fans, it's that they are nice and accommodating. Met a group in Portland at Deschutes brewpub the Friday before the Gophs played Oregon St and they were great. Nebby was playing Oregon. They had seats at the bar and got us drinks when needed as well as giving us their spots when they left.
This has been a big black eye for Frost. It's as if he thinks he is Tom Osborne and get take any character issue he sees. They recruit well as far as star rankings go, but many of those kids aren't even on the team anymore.

I've traveled to lincoln twice now and plan to go back, one of places I prefer to go on B1G road trips

Game itself is a toss up, both teams are inconsistent. Nebraska "needs" the win more than MN, I have hard time seeing them getting bowl eligible without beating MN. I keep hearing people say NE is better than their record, their record is what it is because multiple games they shoot themselves in the foot, at some point, that is who you are.

It's cliche, but I think NE will win if they manage to not turn the ball and over and/or have untimely penalties

If MN can force few turnovers, get NE guessing, holding, they should come away victorious
In regards to Nebraska being better than their record, that comes from watching them play and seeing a team that appears to be playing well overall but just can't get out of its own way. They have hung right with highly rated teams and had opportunities to win but in what has become their trend under Frost they invent crazy and improbable ways to lose close games.

Where they are somewhat predictable, I don't know how anyone can know what to expect out of us at this point. We have looked so different in our games this year that it is still up for debate what the true version of the 2021 Gophers is.

I could see us coming out on Saturday and dominating, just as much as I could see us come out struggling and getting blown out. My gut says it will be a fairly close game which could swing either direction. If it is a tight game that bodes well for us because I do believe Fleck's teams are mentally stronger than Frost's and less prone to meltdown in key situations.

Big game for both teams but a massive game for Nebraska if they want to have any hope of going bowling for the first time in a while.

I personally am cordial to all of our rivals. No reason to hate on my neighbors due to sports. Lastly, I respect what Nebraska accomplished, as well as Wisconsin and Iowa, because I wish to attain similar status. I don't understand why many gopher fans try to insult Nebraska by saying "you'll never again be one of the greatest contemporary programs of all time". Other than Alabama no one has been on that level since. Many people never made it that high and I laud their accomplishments.
Nebraska has a lot of great fans.....but they also have a decent portion of their fanbase that is still living in the past and thinks Nebraska deserves to be viewed as a top program when the results would indicate those days have passed them by and are unlikely to return.

There is also some dislike for Nebraska based on the media love they got a few years ago that was a joke and totally undeserved. Being predicted to be a contender when they were nowhere close.

Good, concise statement of each team's path to victory or loss. We know each others strengths and weaknesses. This will be a game of who executes better ... or chokes the least.

In hind sight, the Big Ten would have been so much better served, in all aspects, from adding Missouri.
For a large state with only 1 FCS football team, the Tigers have an inexplicably poor following. They hold the attention of their state about as much as Illinois does in IL (small regional interest rather than statewide), except there is actually significant population in Central Illinois.

When you go through as many head coaches as Nebraska has in the last 20 years, it's clear to me that their fans' expectations are too high.

In their glory days, the Big 8/Nebraska had lower academic requirements to get marginal kids into school. Also, it seems the AD turned a blind eye to some character issues if those kids were good at football.

Those days are gone with their admittance into the B1G. To me, a reasonable expectation should be the same as a Wisconsin type situation. Contend in most years, have that 10 win season 2-3 times every decade, and keep kids off the police blotter.

I don't know if Frost survives, but the new AD probably has a short lease on him.

Nebraska was in 4 "national championship" games in 5 years winning three of them. I should have included Miami, Florida State is close to that (might have been included), and Tennessee is no where near that level.
The crucial word here is "WAS".
A more appropriate description of present day NE is has been.
NE can thank their lucky stars Alvarez played at NE and remained close to St Tom for Alvarez paved the way for NE to escape the Long Horn Network and find a place of refuge in the BIG.
NE ranks in the bottom of academics in the BIG and as mentioned above has done nothing to enhance the reputation of the BIG.
The comments made by NE fans disparaging the football teams in the BIG and how NE was going to march right up to the top still sticks in my craw.
The way NE acted during the Covid pandemic and then trying to weasel out of playing OK embarrassed them and our conference.
A little humility by NE would go a long way.

No specific thoughts on the game beyond what Bleed well summarized in post #3.

As to my overall thoughts on Nebraska as a member of the Big Ten, I have lots of them. To touch on a few:

- downright pathetic and embarrassing, for the state of Nebraska and the Big Ten, that UNL immediately lost its AAU membership, making it now the only Big Ten school not good enough for inclusion

- Nebraska sucks away $5x million per year from the Big Ten ....... for what in exchange???

- men's bball team is awful

- football team has been awful, and I really don't see how/why it will ever get back to the level of the mid-late 90's/early 2000's. Even with using all that Big Ten money to build your $150M football temple. Still won't work.

Women's volleyball is a tremendous program, kudos there.
But they're still not as bad as suburban and rural Minnesota folks, right?

Welcome.

Corn Nation is fun to listen to. To be honest, this has turned into a good rivalry the last few years. A far cry from 83-14. Minnesota has to have its "A" game for this but on the other hand, Scott just has to Scott.

Oh and hoodies ares strictly outlawed. Well, except for anyone that wants to wear one.
84-13... hard to forget that one!

let's wait a hot minute before calling another men's bball team awful. This is NOT going to be a pretty year for gopher hoops.
Our embarrassing hoops program (losing, brawl, losing, multiple probations, losing, sexual assault, losing, academic scandal, and losing) hardly leaves us in a position to look down on that of another school.

This board likes to over estimate the opponent often times. See Colorado. If the gophers play well and the coaches don’t sabotage things we beat everyone in the West except maybe Iowa. We are fully capable of losing to almost anyone in the west when we play average to poorly and the coaches make bad decisions.

Nebraska was in 4 "national championship" games in 5 years winning three of them. I should have included Miami, Florida State is close to that (might have been included), and Tennessee is no where near that level.
Miami from 1983-1994 won four National titles, choked one away in 86, contended for one in 88 and 90 and lost one Bama in 92. Btween those 12 years they won four, probably should have won six and could have won seven or eight. I'd put that up there with anything Nebraska did in the 90's

Four words, "We're keeping the chair!"

baby-scream-yeah.gif

Hey guys, been a while, not a whole lot to post about, my team has had it's struggles these last few years but how does everyone feel about this game?
How do I really feel about Huskers coming to town?

I married one (before they joined the B10).

That's the only reason you can think that Gopher fans are more cordial Nebraska fans than to Iowa or Wisconsin fans?

Last edited:

I think it's going to be an interesting game. History says if we get them in a hole quickly they'll give up. I think this year's Husker team is different. Defense is better. Martinez can be really good. I think they may be very motivated to beat us. I pray we have some creative play calling and both of our top WRs back. I enjoy visiting Lincoln (you guys have got to go to Casa Bovina next year). The atmosphere at Husker games is amazing - love the balloon thing, and turning the stadium red. I envy the passion. I think the game can go either way but I'm hopeful we'll come out the victors again this year.

The strange thing for me about people's reaction to Nebraska is that people seem to argue that they underperform and that they have unrealistic expectations. I don't think I've ever met a Nebraska fan whose expectations for the program weren't something like "we should compete for a BTW title every single year". And you know what? I think that's reasonable.

They still recruit well. They are usually in the top 4 in recruiting rankings every year (#1 in West). They support the team well. They aren't in an exceptionally difficult division (they don't have to beat Bama or Ohio State every year). . . I guess I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be competing for BTW titles every year.

Yes - if the fans believe they should be Ohio State or Alabama, I agree, they are unrealistic.
If the fans think they should be close to Wisconsin and Iowa, I think it's realistic.

My thoughts on the game - if Martinez has a clean game (few large mistakes), I think Nebraska is tough to beat. That said, our defense matches up good to for forcing mistakes (decent pass rush, good tackling, active safeties).

The strange thing for me about people's reaction to Nebraska is that people seem to argue that they underperform and that they have unrealistic expectations. I don't think I've ever met a Nebraska fan whose expectations for the program weren't something like "we should compete for a BTW title every single year". And you know what? I think that's reasonable.

They still recruit well. They are usually in the top 4 in recruiting rankings every year (#1 in West). They support the team well. They aren't in an exceptionally difficult division (they don't have to beat Bama or Ohio State every year). . . I guess I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be competing for BTW titles every year.

Yes - if the fans believe they should be Ohio State or Alabama, I agree, they are unrealistic.
If the fans think they should be close to Wisconsin and Iowa, I think it's realistic.
Any fan of any team in the West thinking their team should be able to compete in the West on a yearly basis is very reasonable (even Illinois....I mean not this year but eventually). But there is a vocal subset of the Nebraska fanbase that thinks they still deserve elite status and truly believe it is just a matter of time until Husker football is back on top. Those fans are delusional as it seems highly unlikely Nebraska will ever recapture the glory years they pine for.

Any fan of any team in the West thinking their team should be able to compete in the West on a yearly basis is very reasonable (even Illinois....I mean not this year but eventually). But there is a vocal subset of the Nebraska fanbase that thinks they still deserve elite status and truly believe it is just a matter of time until Husker football is back on top. Those fans are delusional as it seems highly unlikely Nebraska will ever recapture the glory years they pine for.
I've heard other fans talk about this vocal subset, I've just never personally encountered them. I'm not saying they don't exist.

I've heard other fans talk about this vocal subset, I've just never personally encountered them. I'm not saying they don't exist.
I don't think they believe they deserve elite status, but there are some who won't settle for anything less, but that's their problem IMO. Not sure why it bothers others so much - if they want to be miserable forever that's fine.

There are plenty who turn their nose up at a school like ours, which is annoying, but whatever.

Top Bottom