So how did the team Look

Mbakwe Big Ten player of the year. This dude is sick. Also, Hollins was a great surprise. I love his athleticism. Iverson has also found a left hand. Should be a good team this year.

Very unofficial scoring

GOLD

Nolen 4 (good on defense tipped balls - steals)
Hoff 6 (2 trays - rbs - all over the court)
Armelin 6 (vert strong - like a ftball plyr - athletic)
Sampson 4 (maybe some blks)
Iverson 6 (looked very good and strong)
Halvorson 2 (Athletic - red shirt)
Dawson 0

MAROON

Ahanmisi 2 (ok at pt - maybe)
Joseph 13 (very good - )
Hollins 4 (athletic - nice plyr)
Mbakwe 8 (Excellent - maybe forced it a lil - strong in the paint)
Walker 2 (Big presence)
Osenieks 3 (nice shot and moves - plays d too)
Elliason 2 (Mini Iverson)

Maroon outplayed gold the whole way.

Best players tonight:

Joseph and Trevor!!

Hoff looked good and Chip and Austin will help this year.

Still disappointed with Ralph but overall it looks like a very athletic and strong team... and Rodney didn't even play. Halvorson surprised me with his athleticism. Freshmen recruits are much better than people think. Elliot is going to develop into a nice player.

Freshmen recruits are much better than people think.

Yeah well when everyone thinks they can be beat by every high school team in the country, it's easy to exceed expectations.

what about the back court

Nolen - jump shot still broke, looked sharp on D for a scrimmage
Hoff - still can't create, but his J looked good
Devoe - sick, sick, sick, I didn't think a shot could get any purer, he was lights out and was hitting tough shots, most importantly he was creating his own shots.
Austin Hollins - shows sparks of athleticism, looked like a nice player for a freshman
Halvorson - couldn't shoot, but looked incredibly athletic, and to be quite honest, he had the best dunk in the dunk contest
Osenieks - played under the radar, but I thought he looked pretty solid, showed some range
Armelin - I never even heard of this guy until tonight, but he was one of the better players out there

The two freshman Hollins and armelin are going to be good players

thanks for the recap I think this team is going to be better than some think. They will be able to play that pressure D

In my mind, after watching tonight, the starting lineup should be Nolen, Joseph, Blake, Trevor, Colt. Trevor absolutely must start, he may be our best player. He will play in the NBA, it's only a matter of time.

Trevor Mbakwe was UNREAL. NBA first round after a couple seasons at the U. He single-handedly makes this team a Sweet 16 contender...
None of the frosh looked all that great IMO, but its waaay to early to make assumptions...
The three-headed monster of Mbakwe, Joseph and Hoffarber is one of the best 1-2-3 combos in recent Gopher history. Each one adds something dynamic to the table...
Chip looked athletic with a poor jumper...
Al played great on defense once again and handled the ball well...
Oto's success in Europe makes him an intriguing player for some reason...
Sampson was soft...
Not sure of the hype with Iverson...
Hollins flashed some great basketball moves and had great ups. Could be a very good player someday...
Tubby needs some work with the mic. This is the fourth Midnight Madness I've been to and first for a Gophers team and he was the least engaging with the crowd...
Maybe Mbakwe's 30-minute autograph session counted as community service...

A breakdown of all the players...

Al: more of the same... very good defensively, mostly futile offensively.
Devoe: forced a bit at times, but we need someone to do that. He's clearly been focusing on go-to moves to score in the crunch, and he hit some very nice shots.
Maverick: not ready to contribute. Played decent defense, but he had no real offense
Armelin: aggressive, athletic, needs to improve his jumper.
Hollins: I wanted to see him shoot more, because I know he has a nice jumper. Other than getting burned by blake off the dribble once, he played good defense. Lots of potential for him to become a very good player
Hoffarber: Other than the above-mentioned off-the-dribble move, he's the same Blake
Rodney: didn't compete due to his recent concussion
Oto: I need to see more, but he has the tools to be a good piece
Ralph: Didn't notice him much, seemed pretty passive
Colt: looked a little more agile and fluid
Walker: nice jumper, if he had competed in the 3-point contest, he may have surprised some people. Big body, rebounded very well. Not real fast up and down the court, but effective when he gets into place
Elliason: needs to put on some muscle, but has good height and I liked some of the things I saw. I hope he regrows that beard
Mbakwe: easily our best post player. I can't express how impressed I was. Very good rebounder, several very polished moves, fantastic athleticism, good defense and more offense than I expected. He'll play in the NBA. Reminded me a lot of JJ Hickson

Top Bottom