Snow Storm Stopped Wooden from being Coach at Minnesota

GoForGold

Reaction score
How many knew this little piece of history on John Wooden:

Two successful seasons at Indiana State caught the eye of more prominent programs, but Wooden and his wife desired to stay in the Midwest. His intention was to accept the coaching job at the University of Minnesota in 1948, but when a snowstorm prevented Minnesota’s athletic director from getting to the phone to offer him the position by a stipulated deadline, Wooden snapped up UCLA’s offer instead.

“If fate had not intervened, I would never have gone to UCLA,” Wooden once said.

No way would he have lived to 99 if he had come here.

RIP.

Yes, I would agree, although that being way before my time. With the Minneapolis Lakers and the Gopher football team winning national titles around that time it would have been tough to win much attention with the Gopher basketball team.

Purdue offered him their HC job in 1951 but he had signed 3-yr contract at UCLA. They wouldn't let him out of the 3rd year so he stayed at UCLA.

Sooo close... Just like we were soo close to getting Magic Johnson

I'm not a Sid fan, but I highly recommend reading his book. This was discussed in it. There's a whole history of sports in the Twin Cities that is fascinating and not discussed very often.

Top Bottom