Snoozing with Kentucky fans.....

Reaction score
here at the Seagrill in Rosemary Beach Florida. They loved Tubby the person. Drove them crazy as a coach. I said: Jeez, he won you guys a National Championship. They said: Right, but not with the players he recruited. They said: We watched your game against MSU last week. Same boring offense he ran at as our coach. Everything designed to go into the post and no latitude for the perimeter players. I said: Will he ever win us a BTT and run in the final 4? They said: When pigs fly. I like Tubby. After that conversation I'm bummed out. What did Billy Martin say? I think it was: "Nice guys finish last"

vikings clothes outsell gopher clothes at malls in crosslake

I would say that whole "not with his recruits thing" would hold water if Tubby hadn't won so many games and won so many SEC regular season and tourny championships and taken his teams to the elite 8 twice and sweet 16 like four times in 10 years...I know FoT has the stats.

Just saying...those teams were his guys and they did all right.

And Tubby coached that team to the National Championship...his boring offense and ball line defense...and overbearing demeanor.

I would say that whole "not with his recruits thing" would hold water if Tubby hadn't won so many games and won so many SEC regular season and tourny championships and taken his teams to the elite 8 twice and sweet 16 like four times in 10 years...I know FoT has the stats.

And Tubby coached that team to the National Championship...his boring offense and ball line defense...and overbearing demeanor.

It's Kentucky, it recruits itself. The talent level dropped off in a major way when he was there. He still got players that are better than he'll ever get to Minnesota, but that's due to it being Kentucky, not Tubby. My neighbor is a lifelong Kentucky fan and he has the exact same view of Tubby, great guy, couldn't recruit, can't stand watching the way his teams play.

here at the Seagrill in Rosemary Beach Florida. They loved Tubby the person. Drove them crazy as a coach. I said: Jeez, he won you guys a National Championship. They said: Right, but not with the players he recruited. They said: We watched your game against MSU last week. Same boring offense he ran at as our coach. Everything designed to go into the post and no latitude for the perimeter players. I said: Will he ever win us a BTT and run in the final 4? They said: When pigs fly. I like Tubby. After that conversation I'm bummed out. What did Billy Martin say? I think it was: "Nice guys finish last"

Funny that his UK offense (with his own recruits) yielded the #1 W-L record (87-15) in 2003-04-05. His offense won the NCAA title in 1998 with "leftover players" from 1997 team that DIDN'T win the title with BETTER players.

Tubby won 5 SEC titles and 5 SECT championships in 10 years. That's 1 every 2 years. UK fans "forget" the math.

His W-L (76%) record is EXACTLY the UK all-time standard. His W-L (72%) record in NCAA games is 3% HIGHER than the UK all-time standard.

4 Elite 8 and 6 Sweet 16 in 10 years. 5 SEC and 5 SECT titles in 10 years.

His 1998 team defeated 3 straight 30+ W teams to win the NCAA title, coming from behind in each game.

It's Kentucky, it recruits itself. The talent level dropped off in a major way when he was there. He still got players that are better than he'll ever get to Minnesota, but that's due to it being Kentucky, not Tubby. My neighbor is a lifelong Kentucky fan and he has the exact same view of Tubby, great guy, couldn't recruit, can't stand watching the way his teams play.

He signed 7 McDonalds A-A in 10 years at UK. Rick Pitino signed 5 McD A-A in 8 years. Why didn't Kentucky "recruit itself" then?

Back In 2009 Dick Gabriel Of WKYT Lexington Said:

We had no way of knowing that Kentucky’s loss to Kansas in the 2007 NCAA Tournament would be Tubby Smith’s last game as the UK head coach. What has to be a bigger shock is just the suggestion that a loss to Creighton Monday night in the National Invitation Tournament could mark the end of the Billy Gillispie era as well.

How did we get here? How did it happen?

There are as many opinions as there are portals to the internet. And nobody has all the facts. We just know what we know.

Tubby Smith began thinking about an exit strategy long before that spring day, when he bolted for Minnesota. In fact, he himself told me Lou Holtz had advised him to get out, back when Smith was sending top-seeded teams to the NCAA tourney, in the early 2000’s. Holtz had learned first-hand, at Notre Dame, what it was like when the cheering ebbs. Get out while you’re ahead, he counseled Tubby.

What made Smith think about a change of address in earnest was his desire to have his son, Saul, join his coaching staff. Everybody knows what kind of pressure he was under to make changes among his assistants, even after the 2004-05 season that saw him a rebound or two away from that elusive second trip to the Final Four.

Call it loyalty, call it stubbornness, Tubby dug in. But toward the end, sources tell me, he agreed to clean house (with the exception of Dave Hobbs) if he could bring Saul on board.

Trouble was, UK has an anti-nepotism policy, the same one of which former Athletics Director Larry Ivy ran afoul when his step-son, Rob Manchester, landed a graduate assistant’s job with the football team. (EDITORIAL COMMENT: BOTH Saul (2004) and GG (2001, 2002) Smith were grad assistants at UK under Tubby)

It’s understandable as to why Smith would want to hire his own son, who eventually did join him at Minnesota. I can relate; my own son, Jack, sometimes travels with me to sporting events to lend a hand. My daughter Kate often pitches in on the UK broadcasts at Commonwealth Stadium and Rupp Arena. I enjoy having them around, seeing as how just last week they were toddlers.

And if you read Gene Wojciechowski’s excellent piece in ESPN The Magazine a few years ago, you’d understand the special bond between Tubby and Saul. Tubby and Donna nearly lost Saul when he was very young to a medical condition requiring extensive surgery, instilling within them the fear no parent should have to experience.

Tubby also told the administration he would shake things up if he could get a contract extension (either one or two years, depending on whom you believe). With 25 losses in the past two seasons, he didn’t really have much of a chance there.

So upon hearing “No, thank you,” he became a Gopher, leaving behind a body of work that was far more impressive in the first eight than it was in the last two.

And that’s where I part company with Tubby Bashers.

Disguised Racism

They embrace the notion that the 1998 NCAA Championship was somehow tainted, or worthless, because Rick Pitino recruited most of the players. Funny, nobody ripped Roy Williams for winning a title with kids recruited by Matt Doherty.

And those same malcontents will tell you that the program has been going downhill from the day Smith was hired.

That’s where the racism buzzer goes off in my head.

And don’t kid yourself, it was there. From the season ticket cancellations the day Smith was hired to the cowardly, anonymous phone calls to the talk shows – a faction of UK “fans” made themselves clear.

That, to me, was far more disappointing than the events that led to the infamous Sports Illustrated cover, which included the headline, “Kentucky’s Shame.”

Even if you didn’t like his style of play (understandable, after the way Pitino’s teams got up and down the floor) you couldn’t argue with the results: five SEC championships, five SEC tournament titles, a single season that saw his team race undefeated through both the league and tournament (only to be done in by Dwyane Wade) and four trips to the Elite Eight.

It was the lack of another trip to the Final Four that was conspicuous by its absence. But had it happened, in ’99, ’03 or ’95, the haters would have found a way to dis that, too. So Tubby left.

Watch out Ruppert!

You can get in trouble at BYU for snoozing with people!

Gopher 2011 Season Reminds Me Of This One

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/1966-67.html UK was coming off 27-2 and NCAA runner-up season. 2 key seniors (Conley, Kron) graduated but 2 stars (Dampier, Riley) back and 3 starters (Jaracz too) returning.

Hot shot SG (Argento) up from frosh team where he averaged more than 30 ppg. Junior class added several players (including Berger and Tallent) to starting lineup.

But Riley (injured in a summer boating accident) reinjured his back in mid-year. Tallent transferred in mid-season after dispute with Coach Rupp.

Certainly NOT IDENTICAL and different in some respects (of course) but the 1967 UK team had all the ingredients for a successful season until Riley got hurt and Tallent left.

13-13 was the final result. Rupp was certainly a better coach than Tubby is. But even he couldn't overcome a key injury and transfer (affecting 2 starters).

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/careerpoints.html If the talent level dropped off, why are so many of Tubby recruits / players on the UK all-time scoring list (1000+ points) then?

About 20% of the 1000 Point scorers played for Tubby. Most of those (20%) were recruited by Tubby.

Why is that?

Tubby is burnt out. We should have hired a hungry younger guy.

Didn't Billy Martin die drunk in a ditch upside down in a pick up truck after being fired 6 from 4 times...

What did Billy Martin say? I think it was: "Nice guys finish last"

Leo Durocher said that.

Billy Martin said this:
Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier. The cigars taste better. The trees are greener.
Billy Martin

4 Elite 8 and 6 Sweet 16 in 10 years. 5 SEC and 5 SECT titles in 10 years.

His 1998 team defeated 3 straight 30+ W teams to win the NCAA title, coming from behind in each game.

No one here gives a crap what he did at Kentucky, while at Minnesota his teams have done exactly nothing.

Nothing?

No one here gives a crap what he did at Kentucky, while at Minnesota his teams have done exactly nothing.

Nothing?

We have beaten Bo three times including once at Kohl.
We have had some impressive non-con victories, Louisville, Butler, NC, etc.
Two trips to the NCAA.

Nothing would be none of those things.

Yes, the Big Ten results have not been what we had hoped for but I would not say the team has done nothing.

If you ask me if he is going to win a Big Ten title and make a FInal Four, then yeah, I struggle to see that happening any time in the next few years. When you can't get/keep your top recruits in school, it makes something like that near impossible. But I still think he'll be able to get us to that "always in the tourney, top 8 seed yearly" type of level if he sticks around. At some point, things will stabilize and we'll have a group of players who come in, and stick around, and we build things up. Hopefully that started with this previous class last year and now this upcoming class.

Yup, "schmoozing"

Posting with an I-phone sitting at a bar the touch pad seems to get smaller. They were certainly giving an ear full about Tubby so "snoozing" would be out of the question. I was going to question them on the remark that Tubby won the NCAA without his recruits, but being such ardent fans I figured they knew what they were talking about. Whether they are right or wrong about Tubby you got to love their passion about "Cat" basketball

At some point, things will stabilize and we'll have a group of players who come in, and stick around, and we build things up. Hopefully that started with this previous class last year and now this upcoming class.

Trevor stays or it's not stabilizing next year. I'm not getting good vibes about that.

So it's fine if you talk about Tubby in a negative way when you mentioned that "The talent level dropped off in a major way when he was there (Kentucky)" but when someone mentions the positives he did at Kentucky, then "no one gives a crap what he did at Kentucky". So it's ok for you to talk about his time at Kentucky because it's negative, but no one can talk about anything positive he did there because it's meaningless? Gotcha.

By the way, I think your talent comment is ridiculous. His record and achievements at Kentucky certainly didn't show that the talent dropped off in a major way. It's fine to say that the talent did drop off some, but don't act like Kentucky was making NIT appearances every year under Tubby. For most of his time there, Kentucky was a Top 10 team just about every year.

So it's fine if you talk about Tubby in a negative way when you mentioned that "The talent level dropped off in a major way when he was there (Kentucky)" but when someone mentions the positives he did at Kentucky, then "no one gives a crap what he did at Kentucky". So it's ok for you to talk about his time at Kentucky because it's negative, but no one can talk about anything positive he did there because it's meaningless? Gotcha.

By the way, I think your talent comment is ridiculous. His record and achievements at Kentucky certainly didn't show that the talent dropped off in a major way. It's fine to say that the talent did drop off some, but don't act like Kentucky was making NIT appearances every year under Tubby. For most of his time there, Kentucky was a Top 10 team just about every year.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Coaches/Orlando_Smith.html 6 times = Top 10 and 8 times = Top 20.

Both % (60% Top 10 and 80% Top 20) are consistent with UK all-time % since polls started in 1949 http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/teamslist.html

Because they played all four years since they weren't good enough to leave to the NBA after their 2nd or 3rd years.

Pitino had these players leave for NBA after 2 or 3 years - Mashburn, Walker, Mercer.

Tubby had these players leave for NBA after 2 or 3 years - Mohammed, Azubuike, Rondo, Morris.

OOPS you be wrong.

Posting with an I-phone sitting at a bar the touch pad seems to get smaller. They were certainly giving an ear full about Tubby so "snoozing" would be out of the question. I was going to question them on the remark that Tubby won the NCAA without his recruits, but being such ardent fans I figured they knew what they were talking about. Whether they are right or wrong about Tubby you got to love their passion about "Cat" basketball

Read them the WKYT article by Dick Gabriel. He nails it pretty well. Fair critisism of Tubby at UK but also clearly calls out the (few) racists who never wanted Tubby at UK.

Pitino had these players leave for NBA after 2 or 3 years - Mashburn, Walker, Mercer.

Tubby had these players leave for NBA after 2 or 3 years - Mohammed, Azubuike, Rondo, Morris.

OOPS you be wrong.

OOPS, I didn't realize that Nazr Mohammed, Randolph Morris and Kalenna Azubuike were on the same level as Jamal Mashburn, Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer.

Top Bottom