Small scoreboard on webcam

I was just there and it on again.

nm

IT IS...ALIVE!!!

It's a great day to be a Gopher fan...:D

I actually saw it today again taking the campus connector to the St. Paul Campus. I was so amazed and it just made me realize how great of an experience it will be next year in a REAL stadium. The scoreboard was showing what I would describe as fireworks, not just flashing colors. It was really well-defined and amazing. I also notice all the seats going in as well, can't wait for it to be done. I have one question though, as I have not lived in minnesota for more than a year now. Where are the extra 30000 seats planned to be built? I don't know for sure and I would like to know what they plan to do. Thanks All!!

answer for you wiscbearsfan

I actually saw it today again taking the campus connector to the St. Paul Campus. I was so amazed and it just made me realize how great of an experience it will be next year in a REAL stadium. The scoreboard was showing what I would describe as fireworks, not just flashing colors. It was really well-defined and amazing. I also notice all the seats going in as well, can't wait for it to be done. I have one question though, as I have not lived in minnesota for more than a year now. Where are the extra 30000 seats planned to be built? I don't know for sure and I would like to know what they plan to do. Thanks All!!

Since you're new to the Hole I'm thinking you might have missed out on the summary I gave during the tour I received of TCF last fall (it was posted when GH was still on the Yuku board format). Check it out here: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=842. I gathered as much info as I could and took a ton of pictures. Hopefully it will help get you even more excited!

Here is the answer to your question though:
- An upper deck will extend from the open end of the bowl all the way around until it is tied seamlessly to the current press box/suite levels. The concourse for the upper deck will already be in place when TCF opens next year (this concourse will be at the top of the current "upper deck").
- Planning for the expansion from the beginning means that when the upper deck is added that it will be seamless to the current design. If you look at older stadiums that add seating you'll see that they have to build outward to build upward. The footings are already in place for the upper deck so the outside of TCF will look like it was always built that way.

Ski-U-Mah!

So is the ribbon board along the 2nd deck! I didn't even know they installed that already.

scoreboardon.jpg

Auxillary boards on the side of the BIG one

I hadn't noticed this until driving by recently. There are a couple of tall and narrow displays on the sides of the BIG main scoreboard. I assume those are for the folks near the open ends to provide some stats or possibly pictures. There is also a huge cluster of speakers up on the top corners of the BIG board. Lots of cool electronics!

This has me cranked up

Is it September yet? Tee it up, let's go!

Looking at the picture I believe they only ran ribbon board along the straight part of rim. Does any one know why they didn't do the entire length? They might have some back light panels but I would think LED ribbon has more income potenial.

I wondered the same thing, but I am sure it came down to dollars. Why wouldn't you put it all the way around. I also heard Maturi talk about the sides of the scoreboard before as well. He said the main reason the scoreboard was going to have these sides to it were for non game day advertisements and announcements (for people outside the stadium). I have no idea if these sides will be able to provide replays and whatnot during games.

They need the ribbon thing in Williams Arena now.

Looking at the picture I believe they only ran ribbon board along the straight part of rim. Does any one know why they didn't do the entire length? They might have some back light panels but I would think LED ribbon has more income potenial.

I have to assume $$$ as well. The one thing I got from my tour was that the obvious "misses" in the stadium construction were not due to oversight or poor planning but to budgetary concerns. Not having brick lining the wall around the field falls into this category as well.

Adding additional LED ribbon board strikes me as an easy fix that can be added once TCF brings in more revenue for the dept.

I wondered the same thing, but I am sure it came down to dollars. Why wouldn't you put it all the way around. I also heard Maturi talk about the sides of the scoreboard before as well. He said the main reason the scoreboard was going to have these sides to it were for non game day advertisements and announcements (for people outside the stadium). I have no idea if these sides will be able to provide replays and whatnot during games.

If not for replays I bet they use them for A) stats :) or B) ads :mad:

Agreed!

Cleveland Browns Stadium only has the ribbon boards that run the length of the straight part, in fact it seems most stadiums I see on tv are like that. Arenas are different since the length going all the way around is nothing in comparison.

You guys are most likely right. Everything boils down to the almighty $. But I think that would be an investment that pays its self off relatively quickly. You are right the wrap around scoreboard that could be another potenial non-game day reveune stream. During the game it will most likely be ad sadly but stats would be better. Also it wouldn't hurt to put LED ribbon in Williams on both the upper deck and the Barn Lofts.

Warning: Basketball Related, don't blame me for reading this if you don't like basketball, thanks

I strongly disagree, I think a flashy LCD ribbon would take away from the character of the Barn. The new advertising ribbions are really bright, and distracting. Also, currently the stats boards run constantly, so during Time outs you can glance at them. If they put in a LCD ribbon all the way around we know they would run an ad all the way around during every stoppage, and those stats wouldn't be there.

I went to the Gopher-Iowa State game last year in Ames and they have a very fancy scoreboard and LCD ribbon all the way around, and I thought it was cool when the game started, but by the end of the game the novelty had really worn off.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I would rather see the barn go back to unlit, handpainted signs all the way around. I'd be much more likely to patronize a business that was willing to go "old school" with their signage than require some annoying LCD commercial.

End of basketball related content. GO GOPHERS!

I strongly disagree, I think a flashy LCD ribbon would take away from the character of the Barn. The new advertising ribbions are really bright, and distracting. Also, currently the stats boards run constantly, so during Time outs you can glance at them. If they put in a LCD ribbon all the way around we know they would run an ad all the way around during every stoppage, and those stats wouldn't be there.

I don't think you'd lose the stats. Here's why I think so...every arena I've been to that has full wraparound LCD ribbons kept the stats running the whole game on the baseline end/goal end sections of the ribbons. The long flat sections over the courtside seats will go to ads, but the curved end sections never do. The U could certainly do something different but I don't see why. Its not like the little bit of extra ribbon makes an ad "pop" that much more or anything.

I agree though, the LCD could look out of place at first in The Barn. But I think the benefits would outweigh the weirdness after a little while.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I would rather see the barn go back to unlit, handpainted signs all the way around. I'd be much more likely to patronize a business that was willing to go "old school" with their signage than require some annoying LCD commercial.

Well, it's a minority of at least two. I'm with you, FarmGopher

I would like to see a new athletic department coming events sign by Williams Arena.

All the burnt out bulbs on the current sign is embarrassing.

Top Bottom