Ski - U - Mah

They should use flash cards instead of flags. There is no timing with flags. IMHO the only way to be successful is to do it at home, packed house, train the students, male cheerleaders with flash cards AND megaphones, leave the video and the PA out of it - in fact shut them off.

USC does the exact same thing with U-S-C. The male cheerleaders lead it with megaphones and flash cards. Also they use the megaphones and flash cards every time to this day - it is not a training thing.

The keep it simple:

GOPHERS!!! GOPHERS!!! GOPHERS!!!

We would need at least 3 months of training to master that cheer

Like at hockey games where NE is the most pronounced. MIN - NE - SO - TA

We are no longer the fans who say NE! We are now the fans who say "Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoom-boing-mumble-mumble".

Heh My hubby and I were some of the grayhairs trying to get it started in Vegas and we did not sit down the whole game. Not all gray hairs are duds.

What about a call - response cheer. A group loudly yells "Ski-U-Mah", and everyone responds in a low tone "Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota." repeat 2 times with the "Minnesota" response getting louder each time. Then end with a very loud "Goooo Gophers!"

In script form it would look like this:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (start lower)

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (medium loud)

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (loud)

All:
Goooo Gophers! (very loud)
Rah (for those that feel the need)

To get this started the callers can also respond so there won't be any interruption in the cheer.

Any cheer or combination of cheers proposed on here have sounded good. But for the love of God, please do not say "Rah" at the end of any cheer or chant at TCF. The jackass announcer ruined that years ago.

SKI-U-Mah chant like the U-S-A chant seems the easiest way to get everyone catch on.

I think those that suggest chanting SKI-U-MAH like the USA chant have it right. This will be the easiest way to start
chanting it and getting it going. Would like to do this before kick-offs as it would be unique to the Gophers and were not copying anyone else. Doubt it will work every time they have tried to organize a new chant or cheer it fails miserably.
Those big yellow flags were confusing and a lot of people still do not know SKI-U-Mah even though the band says it all of the time when they are marching. I like the idea of trying to copy what they are doing at the Hockey games,
Let's Go Gophers carried over from basketball to football, maybe this will work from Hockey to football too.

SKI-U-Mah even though the band says it all of the time when they are marching.
People can't understand the majority of what the band is saying while they are marching. Too many cadences with each section saying something completely different make for just noise.

I think SKI-U-MAH on the kickoff would be easy to do and pretty sweet . . . I'm going to try to get my people to do this on Saturday . . .

Heh My hubby and I were some of the grayhairs trying to get it started in Vegas and we did not sit down the whole game. Not all gray hairs are duds.

Ok mnsportcan, you're in charge of the gray hairs as well as the blue haired ladies. They're a tough sell, but you can do it!

Ski-U-Mah like U-S-A is the way to start. It's simple (very important for an immature fan base). It can't be copied (more importantly, it DOESN'T COPY OTHERS, which the lame U game planners have done repeatedly). That's enough right there. Also it lends itself to other things. Once it becomes an 'identity' thing you could do all the other stuff here. Add it to other cheers, yell at kick-off, etc.

Top Bottom