SKI-U-MAH Chant

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
Get ready for it tomorrow.

Away Side - SKI
Student Section - U
Home Side - MAH

It will happen right after Goldy comes out of the tunnel at the end of the band pre-game.

Let's support it!!!!

Haven't we tried this before?

Yes but in the opposite order.

I still think it is an awesome pregame stadium chant!!!

I always yell Ski-U-Mah anytime MN kicks off. I yell it just as the kicker makes contact with the ball. It seems fitting since Ski is a battle war cry and what better time than when those kamikazes take off down the field to wreak havoc on the opposing return team.

Is this coordinated at all? I mean, are the cheerleaders going to be organizing this?
?

Did this happen tonight?

Did this happen tonight?

It did, and it was kind of taking off, but the announcer kept trying to tell the crowd when/what to say and he was delayed so it really threw the rhythm off. I think he should announce what the cheer is and then let the flag bearers and fans take over from there. It has potential if they stick with it.

Go Gophers!!

It did, and it was kind of taking off, but the announcer kept trying to tell the crowd when/what to say and he was delayed so it really threw the rhythm off. I think he should announce what the cheer is and then let the flag bearers and fans take over from there. It has potential if they stick with it.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. The announcer kinda screwed it up tonight when it was about to take off.

Agreed. The announcer kinda screwed it up tonight when it was about to take off.

Jamie was just following the script. In future weeks there will be no instruction once fans get used to it.

Is this chant supposed to only be in the beginning? I kinda wish the flag bearers would get the chant going when there's timeouts and commercial breaks.

The announcer was really pissing me off each time at the end of the rouser by saying "RAH" after the spelling of MINNESOTA. The rouser never contained a "RAH" cheer, and for him to toss that in sounded assinine........IMHO.

The announcer was really pissing me off each time at the end of the rouser by saying "RAH" after the spelling of MINNESOTA. The rouser never contained a "RAH" cheer, and for him to toss that in sounded assinine........IMHO.

Been going on for many years.

This is the way that I've always understood it, and teach my kids how to do it. And our group ALWAYS do the Rah! Yeah, it's wikipedia, but here is a link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Rouser

Lyrics

(Current)
Minnesota, hats off to thee!
To thy colors true we shall ever be,
Firm and strong, united are we.
Rah, rah, rah, for Ski-U-Mah,
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
Rah for the U of M.
[Repeat]
M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A!
Minnesota, Minnesota!
Yay, Gophers! RAH!

Go Gophers!!
What?!? You mean a PR announcer led cheer didn't execute properly? This could not have been Jamie's fault. Did he go all Case IH red zone on it? I'm amazed. Because normally PR guys lead cheers and everything goes off without a hitch.

Is this chant supposed to only be in the beginning? I kinda wish the flag bearers would get the chant going when there's timeouts and commercial breaks.

+1 totally agree!!!!

Only doing this chant before the opening kick just seems like a glass half full kind of thing. Why not before every kick? Or commercial break as you said? You only displace two flag bearers on the sidelines and maybe two cheerleaders to hold up the "U" card (could have sworn I saw a "U" flag a few years ago). I know we "just started" this cheer, but the instruction was a little much. All you need to say yesterday is follow the flag bearers and do the chant.

I am glad they are trying to revive this, but if anyone has connections to the spirit squad, and the athletics people that plan out all the music and promos during the game - budget more time for this cheer. You can log that as general fan feedback. DO MOAR SKI-U-MAH CHEERS!

What?!? You mean a PR announcer led cheer didn't execute properly? This could not have been Jamie's fault. Did he go all Case IH red zone on it? I'm amazed. Because normally PR guys lead cheers and everything goes off without a hitch.
Not only did he lead it, but they had a diagram on the jumbo-tron showing which sections say what. :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the slow Ski-U-Mah chant. I'd prefer a fast, repetitive chant like USA. Spontaneous, catchy, and no trouble with timing.

Not only did he lead it, but they had a diagram on the jumbo-tron showing which sections say what. :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the slow Ski-U-Mah chant. I'd prefer a fast, repetitive chant like USA. Spontaneous, catchy, and no trouble with timing.

They need to just let the cheerleaders lead the cheers. Be patient with it. We aren't stupid. When they are waving a giant flag and people around you are yelling MaH, eventually you'll get it. What we don't need is JAMIE to be involved with cheers. He is WAAAAAAYY too involved. Need. Lots. Less. Jamie.

So Minnesota. Let us tell you what you need to do. Next, an instructional video and peer counselors.

Actually, just let the flag guys run the show. Don't need any help from the PA or scoreboard. It'll work.

Love the idea and think it could work. Embarrassed to admit that we need the announcer to help us. People won't respond to the flag/cheerleaders alone. At least at first. I know it's lame to do that. In time, I think it could work nicely with only having the cheerleaders do it.

Doing it just the one time was rather lame. It sounded good and the crowd seemed to embrace it so I hope "they" get it going.

I can see Goldy on the 50 yd line leading the three sections with three rounds of chants.

Top Bottom