Sitting on leads...

Agree, but after rewatching the game last night I confirmed that on almost every one of those balls Max put the ball in a bad spot (very high, behind the receiver, in a spot where the defender could swipe it, etc). I don't want to sound too hard on Max, I thought he had a really good game overall. Those "misses" were just more glaring given how "on" he was earlier in the game. Given that these misses also came at times when he wasn't pressured and the receiver was open, I tend to put the onus more on the QB (i.e 60% of the blame type of thing)

I saw that as well during the game. Max had mentioned that last season he/ his arm got tired as the season wore on. Could be a factor? The funny thing is Gray usually gets better as the game goes on. I think Max will get this sorted out soon. Not too worried.

Back on topic, I think the game was well called. In the first half, IIRC we had a penalty right before half that pushed us back. Had that not happened, I think the team was driving for a score. I think it was wise after the penalty to take it into the lockerroom knowing we had the ball to start the second half.

Like Husker said, late in the game, we were playing the clock as much as the Syracuse defense. Get first downs and hold on to the ball and you win.

It was not all on Shortell, there were at least four tough but catchable balls that were dropped when the player got hit after the catch but before securing the ball. AJ had two, Goodjer at least one and I believe someone else had one or more as well. AJ is running routes really well, but if he is going to be the go to guy, he has to get those balls. That was the same problem he had before this year. One catch was a touchdown, and I believe two more would have given us first downs.
On a different subject, without mentioning names Coach Kill was definitely talking to guys on the sidelines who made unforced errors e.g. illegal motion, etc.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was just Shortell. At the game (even on TV), it's hard to ascertain who was at fault on an incompletion. I just got the vibe that Max was a bit sharper in the first half and beginning of the second half than he was to close out the game. You're right, there was a couple drops and I'm not entirely sure who was at fault for those drops.

What do yo mean by that? It was an obvious hold, no question about it. If he did not hold, it was going to be a sack.

I mean he committed a very obvious holding call. I haven't seen a replay of the play so I cannot say if Shortell would of been sacked before he threw the ball or not though.

I saw that as well during the game. Max had mentioned that last season he/ his arm got tired as the season wore on. Could be a factor? The funny thing is Gray usually gets better as the game goes on. I think Max will get this sorted out soon. Not too worried.

Given that the inaccuracy started right after halftime I don't think it's his arm being tired. I'm guessing he's just a young QB and got jumpy. You could see him hurry several of the throws when he had time to set himself better and use better footwork. Stuff like that.

Given that the inaccuracy started right after halftime I don't think it's his arm being tired. I'm guessing he's just a young QB and got jumpy. You could see him hurry several of the throws when he had time to set himself better and use better footwork. Stuff like that.

I'm not sure if it's a trend or coincidence, but a couple of the inaccurate throws he was moving as well. That might play a part in it.

I'm not sure if it's a trend or coincidence, but a couple of the inaccurate throws he was moving as well. That might play a part in it.

I noticed the same while at the game but didn't remember to look for it on my rewatching.

Top Bottom