Single best play of Gopher football history?

How about the blocked field goal with no time remaining that allowed us to beat our rivals from North Dakota State by a score of 10-9 in 2006?

Shut up eagan.

And stop thinking that your JV team is a rival.

Got to go with Foggie's scramble to win the Little Brown Jug. End of the game--at Michigan--can still see Chip's field goal to win it.

Also, anyone remember a 99 yard fumble return in the late 60's I think? Vaguely recall the ball popping loose on our goal line and a Gopher defensive lineman grabbing it and rumbling 99 yards the other way. On the other hand, maybe I made up the whole damn thing.

There were some outstanding individual plays just last season: Cedric Thompson's game-clinching INT vs. Purdue, Maxx vs. Iowa, Maxx vs. Mizzou, BBC's strip vs. Nebraska. But as far as what a single play meant to the Gopher program, Billy Cockerham to Arland Bruce wins hands down. I had just attended my first Gopher football game as a student the previous week against Drew Brees and Purdue, and the upset of Penn State helped get me - and I suspect quite a few others - to buy in.

The Gophers under Warmath had a big defensive tackle by the name of Ed Duran from North Carolina.He grabbed a fumble in mid air at Memoral Stadium and rumbled 90 some yards. He damn
near died in the end zone. Can't remember who we were playing, but it seemed like it took him 5 minutes to go the 90 some yards.

The Gophers under Warmath had a big defensive tackle by the name of Ed Duran from North Carolina.He grabbed a fumble in mid air at Memoral Stadium and rumbled 90 some yards. He damn
near died in the end zone. Can't remember who we were playing, but it seemed like it took him 5 minutes to go the 90 some yards.

Thank you, Ruppert. Do remember the damn near dying. Glad to know I haven't totally lost it.

Found this thanks to Ed Duren reminder.

Forty-five years ago today, sophomore Gary Hohman ran his way into the Minnesota record books with his 99-yard interception return against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium. Hohman topped the previous record of 96 set by Ed Duren vs. Iowa in 1966.

17-0 win but I think the play turned the game totally around.

That is all. I don't have a opinion but that could change.

Danny, your OP question is a great one. Allof us oldtimers have many, many memories. Thanks for asking us to share. And to those who share? THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

The most memorable play I've personally witnessed was there Arland Bruce catch at Penn St. Younger folks don't understand how truly bad we were during the Wacker years and how we ask thought it would be the same under Mase. That was a miracle catch by a crappy receiver from a crappy QB on 4th down to shock a name school, in their house. I'll never forget it.

By no means is this the greatest play in Gopher history, but it's one that I hadn't seen mentioned yet. Royston's onside kick recovery in 2011 againt Iowa. The blocked field goal against NDSU and the 2003 Lloyd kick against wisco also came to my mind.

It's not a play but a game: When Kent Kitzmann carried the ball 57 times in one game and we beat Illinois to earn a bowl berth for the first time in a very long time....that was cool. Penn State absolutely was significant (I remember where I was) ... these two along with Lloyd's field goal to beat Wisconsin was very sweet. Marqueis willing his way down the field into the end zone to beat Iowa very, very cool. Any time Sandy Stephens ran the option it was fun to watch.

My most viewed play on youtube is this:

Number 3 for Iowa is the best.

There are so many great plays in the history of Golden Gophers football. It's hard to pinpoint which one to choose.

This however should clearly go down as the best play in Badger football history. :cool02:

The most memorable play I've personally witnessed was there Arland Bruce catch at Penn St. Younger folks don't understand how truly bad we were during the Wacker years and how we ask thought it would be the same under Mase. That was a miracle catch by a crappy receiver from a crappy QB on 4th down to shock a name school, in their house. I'll never forget it.

First off I am 100% in agreement on the catch in the 1999 Penn State game being the top play in Gopher football history, my only issue is that people need to stop saying it was a Cockerham to Bruce pass. The pass was intended for Ron Johnson, Bruce caught the deflection in miracle fashion. And you can't talk that play without lumping in the kick as well. True freshman kicker in front of 100,000 screaming fans with Lavar Arrington (who was awesome at blocking kicks) charging from the other side of the line.

I was at that game and I will never forget hearing that place go dead silent with the exception of the small pocket of Gopher fans that were going nuts. The Penn State fans were extremely classy in defeat as well.

Some are so touchy here on GH that they don't catch sarcasm. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Uhm...no Don. Northrop was banned under the name eagan. Virtually everything he posts is about north dakota. And the toolbag keeps sending me personal messages.

I just wish the mods would ban him already again.

Uhm...no Don. Northrop was banned under the name eagan. Virtually everything he posts is about north dakota. And the toolbag keeps sending me personal messages.

I just wish the mods would ban him already again.

I did not know that, so my apologies.

First off I am 100% in agreement on the catch in the 1999 Penn State game being the top play in Gopher football history, my only issue is that people need to stop saying it was a Cockerham to Bruce pass. The pass was intended for Ron Johnson, Bruce caught the deflection in miracle fashion. And you can't talk that play without lumping in the kick as well. True freshman kicker in front of 100,000 screaming fans with Lavar Arrington (who was awesome at blocking kicks) charging from the other side of the line.

I was at that game and I will never forget hearing that place go dead silent with the exception of the small pocket of Gopher fans that were going nuts. The Penn State fans were extremely classy in defeat as well.

That is true. It bounced off Johnson. Which made it even crazier. I KNEW, as the ball was snapped, we had 0% chance of making a 1st down. Our Gophers NEVER made that first down.

And Penn St. fans still point to that game as the one that dropped them down a dark hole and took several years to recover from. Just weird how sometimes one game can change the fortunes so much of two programs.

And Penn St. fans still point to that game as the one that dropped them down a dark hole and took several years to recover from. Just weird how sometimes one game can change the fortunes so much of two programs.
I was just going to say something about that.
That play may be one of the most important (certainly not best) plays in recent Penn St history. One of my best friends while I lived out in Montana (about 2002-2005) was a PSU fan and at that game. He had never heard 100,000 people be so silent. He would often mention that their fan base was *so* convinced that the Lions were going to win the Natty that year. But then the Gophers came to town and the program spiraled out of control and was down for years.

Top Bottom