since we fired first...

lakesgopher

Reaction score
does this mean the schools who were considering coaching changes will pull the trigger sooner than later so they can get into the competition for best available canidates?

who goes next?

It'll be interesting to see. There were some specific circumstances (beyond the losing) that forced the U's hand. Not sure you'll see the same thing happen at other schools. Mid-season firings are indeed rather rare.

I'm wondering when Rich Rodriguez is going to get the boot, I mean sheesh! For all the advantages that guy has to work with at Michigan, he has seriously dropped the ball. He's 2-6 so far vs. the three rivals, MSU, OSU, and Notre Dame. He's already suffered two 25 point home losses to conference opponents, he's run up a 4-15 conference record so far (rather Brewster-ish looking), AND he's led Michigan into hot water with the NCAA with five major rules violations.

In my opinion it's just a matter of time, but hopefully they'll wait to axe RichRod until after we've secured our new coach, cause them being Michigan means they'll get the pick of the coaching litter.

Good question lakesgopher. It will probably speed up the process for some schools.

does this mean the schools who were considering coaching changes will pull the trigger sooner than later so they can get into the competition for best available canidates?

who goes next?

There are some coaches on the proverbial hot seat, but the 800 lb gorilla is going to be michigan. If Dickrod continues to struggle their fatcat boosters may demand action. Losing a 3rd straight to OSU won't help his longevity, either. A lot of the coaches we'd consider might also be interested in the SCum job. And considering what a monkey-pooh fight michigan's last coaching search was, it might drag out for weeks.

Getting started early could definitely work in our favor, though. I'll give an analogy. Twelve years ago my wife and I were looking for a house in the Crocus Hill 'hood of St. Paul. 1998 was when the real estate market was starting to go crazy. But we hooked up with the best realtor for Summit Ave (search firm), knew exactly what type of house we were looking for (identified candidates), and we were preapproved for a non-contigent offer (had a salary in mind, with boosters lined up). Turned out we found out about our current house before it even went on the market, and had a firm offer in before the open house. The previous owners jumped on it and we had a house we had no business getting (hiring someone like a Peterson or Harbaugh). I was even out of the country on business when all this went down (having an administration that's often out to lunch).

That's the best case scenario for us by jumping the gun (to use your analogy). Lock down a blue chip candidate before it turns into a feeding frenzy with SCum, UGa, and whoever else kicks their coach to the curb in November. Not to mention the chance that a few college coaches might get wooed by the pros. The Vikes might be looking for a new coach if Favre continues to play his age!

If Dick Rod gets fired. . .

Will we able to go 10 minutes without hearing about how the spread is viable in the Big 10?

There are some coaches on the proverbial hot seat, but the 800 lb gorilla is going to be michigan. If Dickrod continues to struggle their fatcat boosters may demand action. Losing a 3rd straight to OSU won't help his longevity, either. A lot of the coaches we'd consider might also be interested in the SCum job. And considering what a monkey-pooh fight michigan's last coaching search was, it might drag out for weeks.

Getting started early could definitely work in our favor, though. I'll give an analogy. Twelve years ago my wife and I were looking for a house in the Crocus Hill 'hood of St. Paul. 1998 was when the real estate market was starting to go crazy. But we hooked up with the best realtor for Summit Ave (search firm), knew exactly what type of house we were looking for (identified candidates), and we were preapproved for a non-contigent offer (had a salary in mind, with boosters lined up). Turned out we found out about our current house before it even went on the market, and had a firm offer in before the open house. The previous owners jumped on it and we had a house we had no business getting (hiring someone like a Peterson or Harbaugh). I was even out of the country on business when all this went down (having an administration that's often out to lunch).

That's the best case scenario for us by jumping the gun (to use your analogy). Lock down a blue chip candidate before it turns into a feeding frenzy with SCum, UGa, and whoever else kicks their coach to the curb in November. Not to mention the chance that a few college coaches might get wooed by the pros. The Vikes might be looking for a new coach if Favre continues to play his age!

I'm wondering when Rich Rodriguez is going to get the boot, I mean sheesh! For all the advantages that guy has to work with at Michigan, he has seriously dropped the ball. He's 2-6 so far vs. the three rivals, MSU, OSU, and Notre Dame. He's already suffered two 25 point home losses to conference opponents, he's run up a 4-15 conference record so far (rather Brewster-ish looking), AND he's led Michigan into hot water with the NCAA with five major rules violations.

In my opinion it's just a matter of time, but hopefully they'll wait to axe RichRod until after we've secured our new coach, cause them being Michigan means they'll get the pick of the coaching litter.

Does this mean that we have to hope for Michigan to actually win football games? Cause that's often difficult for me to do.

It's a great school with a great tradition, but if Michigan fires Rodriguez, is that going to be a job prospective coaches will be flocking to get? Maybe I'm the crazy one, but if the boosters have this much power this soon over as prominent a hire as Rodriguez, it would have to give some guys pause.

Does this mean that we have to hope for Michigan to actually win football games? Cause that's often difficult for me to do.

Well, I'm not gonna hope that they win. I doubt I could ever bring myself to do that. I just hope they'll exercise some patience and drown out the cries of their fans, who have already lost all patience and want Rodriguez gone like yesterday.

I don't really care about them or what they do one way or the other, I just want the Gophers to have the opportunity to get first dibs on a good coach. :)

It's a great school with a great tradition, but if Michigan fires Rodriguez, is that going to be a job prospective coaches will be flocking to get? Maybe I'm the crazy one, but if the boosters have this much power this soon over as prominent a hire as Rodriguez, it would have to give some guys pause.

Oh yeah, I think coaches will always want to coach there. I mean Michigan should never have a problem attracting desirable and quality coaches.

And probably based on wins and losses Rogriguez does deserve more time, because even though he's done poorly, he's only been there for two full seasons and this partial season. So in that regard, yes. BUT, it's the program violations that elevate the question of his status and job security to an entirely different level. They're not little ticky-tack indiscretions, they are regarded by the NCAA as being severe violations (and with at least one more yet to be disclosed), and that changes everything for Rodriguez and makes it highly possible that his departure will be hastened even further than it otherwise might have ever been.

Does SCum = USC? I'm not arguing with you, but is Kiffin already on the hot seat there?

If Rich Rod is fired Harbaugh has to become the coach at Michigan which would suck for everyone in our division but I am not optimistic about Harbaugh coming to UMN.

What's weird is a bunch of people turned down Michigan the last time around. I would imagine he gets one more year unless they totally collapse.

Top Bottom