Since we are on a bye this week, what do you think about the defense next year?

kg21

Reaction score
Our front four is playing well and most return.

Lindenberg should be good at linebacker.

Walley will be back.

I think we will be ok up front, but what do you have for the backend?

According to the official team roster, if I am reading it correctly, among the DB's, Smith and Howden are on their final year of eligibility. Every other DB on the roster is listed as having at least one more year of remaining eligibility.

potential replacements include Ortiz and the Bryson kid, who the coaches were apparently raving about in Fall practice. Everyone else should be back unless someone leaves early for the pros.

Assuming everyone comes back, our secondary should be really strong.

Howden and T. Smith are both going to graduate.

CBs: Walley, Stapp, Bishop and Glaze
S: Nubin and Dixon should start. Depth would likely be Green, Bryson, maybe Ortiz

There could certainly be players who are FR/SO that could get in this mix as well.

Super hard to project. We have no idea who will be here. Could be some major additions or subtractions in the portal.

If our roster is about what we’d expect—I’m not worried about the defense. May need help in the interior of the DL though.

It depends whether or not Rossi is here.

If Rossi is back defense should continue to be really solid.

I’m not sure of our LB and safety depth. Might need to look at the portal if Nubin, Howden, Smith and Oliver are all gone. There seems to be some talent in our redshirt and true freshmen but they haven’t seen much action.

Ortiz was a 4*, WTF happened?
He got beaten out. He needs to put some time in the weight room and developmental coaching. It is hard to judge how kids fresh out of HS adjust to the speed and strength of the college game.

Ortiz was a 4*, WTF happened?
I hate takes like these....being a 4* recruit guarantees nothing at the next level. Kid is a redshirt freshman and the jump from high school to college is a massive one. He may pan out, he may not but it is far too early to give up on him or be worried about why he isn't getting regular playing time considering who we have in our current secondary.

Depends on whether Nubin returns. He could push for All American.

I believe Fleck has already said the expectation is Nubin will not be here next year.

Top Bottom