Since some here are bashing others for trying

calminnfan

Reaction score
to be positive about the loss, let me just outline a few points

1. Given the way Cal started the game with 2 tds on the first 2 possessions, it would have been real easy for the Gophers to collapse and have a runaway game.

2. The Gophers came back to tie the game.

3. The defense, though not great, did play better after the two initial Cal drives

4. Weber is learning to utilize some of his other receivers

5. Though it is not there yet, the talent level is improving

Are there negatives, very much so...the OL, the CB play, though improved, they need to increase the talent level.

Cal is an established team that has had quality for years. The Gophers are simply just getting introduced to that level...give it a little time and appreciate development. It takes some time to raise the talent level and level of play.

Agreed on all aspects. People take their frustrations out on Weber but he really only made one mistake today and that was the first INT that he should've held onto. Then again, he was rolling out of the pocket the entire day because of the constant pressure Cal was getting on him.

The coaches see what needs to happen. Brew has upgraded the level of play and recruiting at the same time. No reason to believe he and his staff will not continue to do the same.

I was very impressed and I'm sure any non-Gopher fans that casually watched the game respect us. Decker made a huge impact on a Nationally Televised Game and I was the first one to say Cal was gonna shut down Decker and he showed his ass today. We pretty much shut down Cal in the 2nd half, made Cal's starters play all 4 quarters and we were containing Best in the 2nd half.......

Our Offense showed what it's capable of despite a horrible O-Line, I like where Fisch is going with this.......

I agree, those first 2 touchdowns would've easily turned into 4 a couple years ago.......

The atmosphere was incredible, I am pumped for the future.......

Long time reader, first time poster... had to say I enjoyed this game. A buddy of mine who follows Pac-10/Stanford texted to say he caught the game and was impressed with what he saw in us. This Cal team had NFL level talent across the board and we hung in there until the 4th quarter. By way of comparison, I'd say they are much better than last year's Iowa team (if you catch my drift)...

I think this game makes us stronger for Big 10 play. Now just hoping Decker isn't hurt too bad.

You guys have NOTHING to be ashamed about. At the beginning of the fourth Q, every Cal fan in the world was sweating bullets. Your team responded magnificently to Cal's two lightning scores early in the game. It is fortunate for us that we finally put it together in the fourth -- something that has been missing from many past Cal teams, and of course we are happy to see this new maturity. But Minnesota is a worthy opponent in every way. I predict you will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season. Good luck with the rest of your games.

And let me add that your new stadium is remarkably beautiful -- a classic! Thanks for a very fine contribution to American architecture, and one of the great college stadiums.

Had we stopped that 3rd and 15 and Weber wouln't have thrown that last INT, this may have turned out to be a different game. we hung tough, but the mistakes unfortunetly came when the game was on the line.

With that said, I think the Gophers played a pretty damn good game and I sure am looking forward to seeing how they do against the wildcats next week.

You guys have NOTHING to be ashamed about. At the beginning of the fourth Q, every Cal fan in the world was sweating bullets. Your team responded magnificently to Cal's two lightning scores early in the game. It is fortunate for us that we finally put it together in the fourth -- something that has been missing from many past Cal teams, and of course we are happy to see this new maturity. But Minnesota is a worthy opponent in every way. I predict you will be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season. Good luck with the rest of your games.

And also let me say that your new stadium is remarkably beautiful -- a classic! Thanks for a very fine contribution to American architecture, and one of the great college stadiums.

Very cool post. I hope you are right. I felt great about our effort out there today, we just couldn't match up talent wise.

And let me add that your new stadium is remarkably beautiful -- a classic! Thanks for a very fine contribution to American architecture, and one of the great college stadiums.

Thank you very much.

Thank you and best wishes.

Amazing how a game could come down to just a few plays. Cal is the better team but our defense gave us a chance to compete and kept us in the game.

CWilson, sorry, but you are mistaken, #Weber is not a Bigtime QB. Two times he should have thrown the ball away, and he continues to eyeball his receiver. He was pressured, but if he wouldn't lock on to one receiver and throw on time the protection wouldn't be as bad as it looked. He is not a big time QB, despite all his records. Problem is I don't think we have anyone better yet. Any Fr. is not ready for the BT.

recruiting has improved

The coaches see what needs to happen. Brew has upgraded the level of play and recruiting at the same time. No reason to believe he and his staff will not continue to do the same.

and the increase in talent is starting to show on the field, but the coaching is still sub-par across the board. We're not getting the most out of our talent. We'll win more with better talent, but when you have no imagination, no game plan and no clue, you end up tying the game on talent and then choking it away between the headsets.

and the increase in talent is starting to show on the field, but the coaching is still sub-par across the board. We're not getting the most out of our talent. We'll win more with better talent, but when you have no imagination, no game plan and no clue, you end up tying the game on talent and then choking it away between the headsets.

we arent in the same universe as Cal as far as talent

are you drunk or something?

what coaching would you have done differently yesterday....could you be specific

but the coaching is still sub-par across the board. We're not getting the most out of our talent.

You are kidding right? Right?

Coaches that have a lot of talent on their teams and still lose, like Charlie Weiss and Pete Carroll (see Washington loss) are coaches who do not the the most out of their talent! Pete Carroll lost that game with superior talent on the field that was overconfident or arrogant about their competition. that is "bad" coaching.

Coaches that have teams with less talent than the team they are playing and almost manage to pull off an upset are definitely getting more out of their players... Whether its the game plan or the motivation, or the conditioning or the drills and training.... What ever it is, the Gophers played step for step with a vastly more talented team for about three quarters. Take the first half of the first quarter and the last half of the fourth quarter away and tell me that we didn't compete or get the most out of the players.

Cal had vastly superior talent on the field Saturday and our Gopher players AND coaches deserve accolades for their performance!

I saw all of them play their hearts out Saturday and you sir, disrespect all of them with your attitude!

You sounds like you have a bone to pick, but what was the big problem yesterday?

Getting the most out of talent: Decker, Triplett, Campbell, etc. have all DEVELOPED under Brewster. Our best players are making plays. You are just plain wrong here.

Imagination: A specially designed play for Gray, a TD pass from Decker, reverse on the kick return, etc. Wrong again.

Game Plan: Plan A was trying to establish the run. Plan B was to go to the air more frequently, use multiple WR sets, and try to catch them napping with a couple runs. Looks a lot like a game plan to me. Wrong again.

No Clue: We made adjustments and, after the first two quick scores, played a top-10 team even the rest of the way. We shut down the best RB in the nation in the second half. Wrong again.

Tied in the 4th quarter and eventually beaten by a top-10 team. You don't have to like Brewster, but it would help if you were rational and informed about your gripes.

CWilson, sorry, but you are mistaken, #Weber is not a Bigtime QB. Two times he should have thrown the ball away, and he continues to eyeball his receiver. He was pressured, but if he wouldn't lock on to one receiver and throw on time the protection wouldn't be as bad as it looked. He is not a big time QB, despite all his records. Problem is I don't think we have anyone better yet. Any Fr. is not ready for the BT.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. He checked down a lot to other receivers yesterday. A lot of folks are taking his problem from last year and the 1st two games and projecting those issues onto Weber's performance yesterday. Yes, Decker was a large % of our offense. But that has a lot to do with the fact that A) he's a stud and B) he runs good routes and gets himself open. When Weber got him the ball he wasn't forcing it. He didn't toss it into triple coverage like he has previously. And he spread the ball around quite a bit to other receivers.

Very cool post - thanks for the thoughts. Cal is an outstanding university that can boast of a very fine football team, as well. Good Luck the rest of the way.

Top Bottom