Simply Hypothetical Situation

Gopher Gold

Reaction score
I was wondering how the board would feel if this ever happened...

1. Tubby coaches the Gophers for another 5 years then retires. He brings us to a Sweet 16 in his final year and thats the farthest we make it in his career here.

2. A new coach is hired and it is none other than... John Calipari. :eek:

3. He brings in a top-15 recruiting class in his first year and we make it to the Sweet-16, in his second year he brings in a top-10 recruiting class and the Gophers go to the Elite 8.

How would people feel about this?

Ps. I am just really bored and thought this might bring up some interesting conversation.

At the present time I am having some gin. What are you having?

Id say failure on Tubby's part. That would be 8 years and 1 sweet 16.
I think JC will be in the NBA in 5 years, we probably could not pay him. We should go after Butler's or Xavier's coach, although both would probably have moved on by then.

I was wondering how the board would feel if this ever happened...

1. Tubby coaches the Gophers for another 5 years then retires. He brings us to a Sweet 16 in his final year and thats the farthest we make it in his career here.

2. A new coach is hired and it is none other than... John Calipari. :eek:

3. He brings in a top-15 recruiting class in his first year and we make it to the Sweet-16, in his second year he brings in a top-10 recruiting class and the Gophers go to the Elite 8.

How would people feel about this?

Ps. I am just really bored and thought this might bring up some interesting conversation.

I'd wake up and immediately feel the need to shower.

I guess the point I was trying to get across was would your impression of Coach Cal change if he was the head coach at the U and good things were happening?

What I'd do..

..is stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking.

Everyone would be pleased with an Elite Eight run. However, I think people have slightly higher expectations beforehand.

I know this is all hypothetical because nobody in their right mind would mention this in a sober state......but since Clem, the U will not hire anyone with baggage. Think Jimmy Williams or even Bob Knight for that matter. John Calipari would want nothing to do with a middle of the pack (at best) BCS program.

1. The Tubby era would be considered a monumental failure
2. I will root for any coach who brings success to the University of Minnesota

Art you have to be crazy to think the University of Minnesota is a middle of the pack (at best) BCS program (unless you are just talking results in the Monson era). Calipari has coached at UMass and Memphis...

If Cal came here, we would have to enjoy the winning until the NCAA sanctions come in and erase what was accomplished.

1. The Tubby era would be considered a monumental failure
2. I will root for any coach who brings success to the University of Minnesota

Art you have to be crazy to think the University of Minnesota is a middle of the pack (at best) BCS program (unless you are just talking results in the Monson era). Calipari has coached at UMass and Memphis...

If they aren't middle of the pack, what are they then? I mean when was the last time they DIDN'T finish in the middle of the pack - or worse? I don't wanna go all Friend of Tubby with stats and numbers but zero NCAA Tournament wins in 13 years and you have to go back to the 1989-1990 squad to find the last Gopher team that won an NCAA game that actually counts in the record books. Also one B10 Championship (that counts) in the last 29 years. I think YOU have to be crazy to think Minnesota is or has been anything but a very medicore, middle of the pack program....

Top Bottom