Simple Question: Are you more excited for Kill's 3rd year, or Pitino's 1st Year?

I'm a college football fan it's the only sport I follow closely.

Kill's 3rd Conference Season. The young hoops coach hasn't coached a single Conference game. He is going to have to SHOW me he can do better than previous hoops coaches before I will give him credit for being any better than any other coach who has coached HIS sport at the U of M. It's the same criteria I use to compare and contrast Coach Kill in the Football Program...

; 0 )

Can't get too excited about basketball. I'm a football guy. Come back to me in a couple of years. The guys we've had running the program since Dutcher was fired have done nothing for me.

If you only count the seasons that "count", not much to look at for the last 94 years. Unfortunate.

Can't get too excited about basketball. I'm a football guy. Come back to me in a couple of years. The guys we've had running the program since Dutcher was fired have done nothing for me.

If you only count the seasons that "count", not much to look at for the last 94 years. Unfortunate.

Because the football team has been so much more impressive...

At least the basketball team has beaten Wisconsin recently and made a few trips to the NCAA tournament. The football team seems to be light years away from even managing a .500 conference record.

Because the football team has been so much more impressive...

At least the basketball team has beaten Wisconsin recently and made a few trips to the NCAA tournament. The football team seems to be light years away from even managing a .500 conference record.

I find it sad if you're using the FB program to shine light on the BB program. But I'll play.

BB fans in Minnesota are far, far, far more blind than the FB fans. 9 NCAA appearances in 94 years is sad, almost pathetic. A blind team could make more appearances. The football team has played in 12 bowl games since 1985 ("The Modern Bowl Era"), the BB team has qualified for 6 NCCA appearances since they went to 64 teams in 1985 as well. Nebraska has been there 6 times in that period. Iowa 14 times. Wisconsin 17 times, including the last 15 straight. 15. Straight. Wisconsin. And, oh, three B1G records over .500 in that era as well.

Our basketball program's history SUCKS. I wish Pitino luck, but his climb is much tougher. He has to produce a winner and not cheat--which has almost never been done at Minnesota. So, don't use the FB team to "heighten" the stellar history of the BB team.

OK, you want to count all the appearances when Clem the Shyster was here? Go ahead.

I love football, and generally hate BB players and coaches, so there's bias. Time to take a pill now.

I find it sad if you're using the FB program to shine light on the BB program. But I'll play.

BB fans in Minnesota are far, far, far more blind than the FB fans. 9 NCAA appearances in 94 years is sad, almost pathetic. A blind team could make more appearances. The football team has played in 12 bowl games since 1985 ("The Modern Bowl Era"), the BB team has qualified for 6 NCCA appearances since they went to 64 teams in 1985 as well. Nebraska has been there 6 times in that period. Iowa 14 times. Wisconsin 17 times, including the last 15 straight. 15. Straight. Wisconsin. And, oh, three B1G records over .500 in that era as well.

Our basketball program's history SUCKS. I wish Pitino luck, but his climb is much tougher. He has to produce a winner and not cheat--which has almost never been done at Minnesota. So, don't use the FB team to "heighten" the stellar history of the BB team.

OK, you want to count all the appearances when Clem the Shyster was here? Go ahead.

I love football, and generally hate BB players and coaches, so there's bias. Time to take a pill now.

I love both football and basketball, but bias aside, everything you've said is true (except the part about blind teams, that was kind of a cheap shot). The U basketball team's history is PATHETIC. It doesn't make me love them any less, but the basketball-only rubes have no sense of perspective. Attempting to compare the history of the football and basketball programs (even playing the time-slice game) is ridiculous.

I love both football and basketball, but bias aside, everything you've said is true (except the part about blind teams, that was kind of a cheap shot). The U basketball team's history is PATHETIC. It doesn't make me love them any less, but the basketball-only rubes have no sense of perspective. Attempting to compare the history of the football and basketball programs (even playing the time-slice game) is ridiculous.

+1. I agree. Well said.

For the MN Gopher football team to qualify for a bowl game they just need to be .500 overall: 4-0 in NC and 2-6 (.250) in the B1G.

Apply those same %'s for the MN Gopher basketball team and all they need to do is finish .500 overall and something like 5-13 (.277) in the B1G.

Excited - Football

Curious - Basketball.

I really want to see what Pitino's team will look like, because I don't have a clue. I (think) I know a lot more about what the FB team will look like. Still, I'm definitely excited to see the FB season start. (and hoping this might be the year where we don't get our hearts broken, again.)

Lot's of excitement to share with this question:

Are you more excited for Kill's 3rd year, or Pitino's 1st Year?

No dissertations needed, just your pick.

Great topic.

I'm more EXCITED for Kill's 3rd year. Everything we've heard from Jerry's past indicates that year 3 is when we will really notice the program taking off. Should be very exciting.

I'm more ANXIOUS for Pitino's 1st year. There's a lot of potential but also room for the program to slip and maybe take a step back.

Not sure why you think the 94 history of our athletic program has anything to do with this topic. First, almost none of the posters on this forum can even remember our last National Championship or Rose Bowl appearance. The last 10-20 years is much more relevant and the success and failures of both programs is pretty even. But like I said, looking in the past should have nothing to do with this topic.

You are also crazy if you think it is easier for us to build a football power than a basketball power. You seem to only cite our "history" as your reason for holding that opinion. Basketball is much easier to re-build because all you need is a a few great players to make a run and get things started. Football, you need to recruit, develop, and over achieve for years, sometimes decades, to get to an elite level.

First, almost none of the posters on this forum can even remember our last National Championship or Rose Bowl appearance.

How many remember the last national championship or Final Four appearance in basketball?

The last 10-20 years is much more relevant

I wasn't aware that there is an expiration date on national titles and Rose Bowl appearances. Thank you for this new information.

Of course, you won't see any of this, because you have me on "ignore" due to your superior sports knowledge and posting abilities, MadisonLovingGopherWhoWillinglyLivesInWisconsin.

How many remember the last national championship or Final Four appearance in basketball?

I wasn't aware that there is an expiration date on national titles and Rose Bowl appearances. Thank you for this new information.

Of course, you won't see any of this, because you have me on "ignore" due to your superior sports knowledge and posting abilities, MadisonLovingGopherWhoWillinglyLivesInWisconsin.

Living in WI isn't what makes him annoying...attempting to take over the bball board is what gets tiresome. I also make my living in a beautiful part of WI but would contend the Gophers mean as much to me as anyone else. Unlike Iwenttocollegeeverywhereandtheyareallmyfavoriteteams, I only bleed maroon and gold.

Top Bottom