Sid: Walker making progress, likely to have 4 yrs eligibility left

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Sid:

"Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith admits he might be too lenient about keeping the door open for players to return after they consider entering the NBA draft. Take the case of junior center Ralph Sampson III, who has applied for the draft but can withdraw. Smith has more than one outstanding player who wants to transfer to the Gophers, and most coaches would tell Sampson to make up his mind now so Smith can get the transfer and not lose him to another school. But that's not Smith's way. So Smith will wait until next week to find out what Sampson is going to do.

There is good news about the recovery of Gophers freshman Maurice Walker, who was sidelined last year because of knee problems early in the season. Walker, who was ranked as the ninth-best center in the class of 2010 by ESPN, is making progress and will be ready for next year. He likely will have four years of eligibility remaining."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/121291569.html

Go Gophers!!

Having Walker four more years makes the Freshman class a very strong class. I hope they stay together for four years.

From Sid:

"Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith admits he might be too lenient about keeping the door open for players to return after they consider entering the NBA draft. Take the case of junior center Ralph Sampson III, who has applied for the draft but can withdraw. Smith has more than one outstanding player who wants to transfer to the Gophers, and most coaches would tell Sampson to make up his mind now so Smith can get the transfer and not lose him to another school. But that's not Smith's way. So Smith will wait until next week to find out what Sampson is going to do.

There is good news about the recovery of Gophers freshman Maurice Walker, who was sidelined last year because of knee problems early in the season. Walker, who was ranked as the ninth-best center in the class of 2010 by ESPN, is making progress and will be ready for next year. He likely will have four years of eligibility remaining."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/121291569.html

Go Gophers!!

Walker is going to be good. I like the idea that outstanding players are considering transferring here. :)

"He likely will have four years of eligibility remaining."

Medical redshirt?:rolleyes:

Whatever the proper wording is for such a thing, I do hope Walker has 4 full years of eligibility left. I think he will be better than Ralph or Colt were.

I wonder who these "outstanding" transfers are who want to come here. Gopher Warrior, I'll be waiting on your comment about Walker's eligibility. On another note, I feel like I recall you liking Hip Hop (although I might be making that up)... anyway, what did you think of that L-Mac video? Here it is if you didn't watch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWI_3BrVVaY

what I dont get is if we do indeed have these "outstanding" transfers just waiting to come here than why did Tubby just sign Andre Ingram? Something doesnt add up here...

Also, IMO losing Sampson would be no great lose. Start Mo and EE is backup. I dont know if I can take another year of "I'm softer than the Baby Jesus" Sampson

what I dont get is if we do indeed have these "outstanding" transfers just waiting to come here than why did Tubby just sign Andre Ingram? Something doesnt add up here...

Well, Tubby took Ingram because he feels he likely needs a PF to play THIS YEAR. A transfer would have to sit out a year.

Well, Tubby took Ingram because he feels he likely needs a PF to play THIS YEAR. A transfer would have to sit out a year.

Lots of unkowns at the time, Iverson leaving, Mbwake maybe declaring, Sampson. He absolutely needed a body if things turned bad. He my not be that big a contributor next year with Mbwake comming back, but he could be very important in two years.

Also, IMO losing Sampson would be no great lose. Start Mo and EE is backup. I dont know if I can take another year of "I'm softer than the Baby Jesus" Sampson

Could be the manner in which Sid fed him the question and Sid is just reporting the answer that suggests what Sid likes.

Hopefully Walker does come back to full speed after this injury but let's settle down a bit on how good he was in his very brief appearances. I'm more concerned about his weight issues and his ability to condition himself into 20-25 min game shape. He was nearly 3 bills with good knees etc. The injury and subsequent recovery might actually benefit him in the long term and his career.

Hope that's the case.

Hopefully Walker does come back to full speed after this injury but let's settle down a bit on how good he was in his very brief appearances. I'm more concerned about his weight issues and his ability to condition himself into 20-25 min game shape. He was nearly 3 bills with good knees etc. The injury and subsequent recovery might actually benefit him in the long term and his career.

Hope that's the case.

That's what scares me about losing Colt and now possibly Ralph to the WNBA. Mo get's injured and we are down to one red-shirt freshman center.

Interesting research opportunity. Would allow all GH'ers the opportunity to gather some empirical data to determine; is it better to have young PG's and a barn full of centers or young centers and a barn full of PG's. Call it the 2010 v. 2011 study of a potentially underachieving bb team.

Agreed, if these supposed "outstanding" transfers want to transfer here, I would find it hard to believe that Tubby would waste another minute on Ralph's decision.

I agree on Sampson, if he comes back...fine, if he doesn't...it won't bother me in the slightest.

I don't think that Mo Walker will get a redshirt season

He played in 12 of the team's 31 games, which is 38.7% of their games. Typically, a player can only play 30% and still get a redshirt season.

Chris Monter

I think RS3 is primed for a solid Sr season & he would indeed be a big loss.

Top Bottom