Sid: Sports Illustrated picks Gophers to go 0-8 in B1G this year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Sports Illustrated recently picked the Gophers football team to go 0-8 in the Big Ten next season."

Go Gophers!!

Love it, you'd better bet that winds up as locker room material.

per Shama:

Magazines Predict Cellar for U Football
June 15, 2012 - 1 Comment

Two of the first college football magazines on the newsstands predict the Gophers will finish last in the Big Ten’s Legends Division.

Lindy’s Sports College Football Preview offers a couple of cynical views about the Gophers. The publication reports the good news is adults will be able to buy beer at TCF Bank Stadium this year. Not so good is the “Gophers need something in the stands to distract fans from the action on the field.”

Phil Steele’s College 2012 Preview also acknowledges Minnesota’s likelihood of last place in the Legends Division — just like last season — but describes the Gophers as a “much improved squad.” Steele is a workaholic football authority who after studying the Gophers voices this optimism: “Three of my nine sets of power ratings call for the Gophers to achieve bowl eligibility and that gives them a shot at escaping the basement.”

Lindy’s agrees the Gophers, with improved talent and speed, could contend for a “lower tier bowl game.” Neither publication includes any Gophers players among the best in the Big Ten Conference, and both view Indiana — forecast for last place in the Leaders Division — as the only team in the conference worse than Minnesota.

The predictions for the Gophers this summer by national publications like Lindy’s and Steele’s won’t surprise most Minnesota fans. Not after a 3-9 season last year, the same as in 2010.

It’s the long term view that inspires more optimism among Gophers fans. I’ve followed every Gophers football coach going back to Murray Warmath, and other than Lou Holtz none impressed media and fans in their first two years as much as Jerry Kill.

This week a friend who is passionate about the Gophers said: ‘If Kill doesn’t become a success coaching the Gophers, I will run naked down the Nicollet Mall.”

If the Gophers don’t lose key players to injuries (hello, MarQueis Gray) they could improve last season’s overall record even if the wins and losses are no better in the Big Ten. Minnesota needs to sweep its nonconference games starting at UNLV on August 30, playing a Rebels program Steele reports has one winning season in the last 17. Then come home nonleague games against New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Syracuse. All winnable, but no cinches.

Last year the Gophers were 2-6 in the Big Ten. On the league schedule are three teams —Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State— Steele ranks among his 12 national surprise teams for 2012. Then, too, the Gophers must play Michigan, a popular choice to win the Big Ten championship. Minnesota might have to scrap to find two league wins among games against Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois.

Looks like a 7-5 season at best, 4-8 at worst.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

It's within the realm of possibility that the Gophers go win-less in the B1G, but I don't think it will happen.

I do. I think it's a much stronger magazine than it used to be. Much better human interest stories. A lot of quality reading comes from the folks at SI.

I agree with Ski U Master. It's not likely the Gophers go 0-8, but it wouldn't be a huge stretch. If Indiana was on the Gophers' schedule, I'd feel differently.

Much, much improved, so nothing would really surprise me, but still absurdly young across the board.

0-8 is certainly possible, but if they stay healthy for the most part, I think it's rather unlikely. Anxious to see how they handle UNLV before making any bold predictions.

I'll take all bets that the Gopher's don't go 0-8 and give odds if the SI folks are reading.

As bad as we've been over the years, we've only gone winless in the Big Ten 3 times since 1980, and only once since 1990. One of those times was in 1988, when we went 0-6-2. We did go 1-7 five times during the 1990's, however. Coming off two straight 2-6 conference showings, I have to think the team won't do worse this year than it did last year or the year before. Besides, we do play Iowa and Illinois again this year, and those are practically guaranteed wins now, aren't they? :)

Ski U Master said:
It's within the realm of possibility that the Gophers go win-less in the B1G, but I don't think it will happen.
It's within the realm of possibility that they go undefeated too.

I don't think the Gophers will go 0-8, thats a little extreme. However we do need to see some improvement. I am tired of losing.

I think they will get at least 2 B1G wins this year just out of shear fight... Personally I am looking for at least 1 upset win in the B1G.

I think Sid might have his info wrong (shocker) SI's football preview doesn't come out until Mid-August. I don't know who may have picked us to go 0-8, but it wasn't SI. There are no predictions on their website either.

I think they will get at least 2 B1G wins this year just out of shear fight... Personally I am looking for at least 1 upset win in the B1G.

That's what I'm thinking! And since SI is almost always wrong, I take their prediction as a good sign!

OR Like I said above....SI didn't make that prediction. They don't make predictions until August.

At this point, 0-8 is a possibiilty for any team in the conference. Love these seasons played on paper by the "experts". Let's get them on the field and play ball for cripes sakes. Then we'll have the answers...

I'd set the B10 line at 2 and the season line at 5.5

Top Bottom