Sid says Royce and Tubby met on Thursday; Royce asks to be back on team

Isn't May 8th the "drop-dead" date for deciding if one is going to stay in the NBA draft or return to school? My guess is we will hear from CJ after that. I get the feeling he is looking for the ideal situation for NBA hopping and for it to drop in his lap. I want CJ to be a Gopher - so he can develop his skills to be a success at the NBA level and we can enjoy watching him play with his brother. I have not seem him play, but reading the gurus of unknown qualifications, I read more about the better-honed skills of other guards. I don't want CJ's bubble to burst. I hope he takes the right step for his long-term success.

Did Royce White not compromise his eligibility by promoting a night club? Was that fake? Do other programs have these type of situations? Royce has surpased Walker Ashley.

I'm beyond frustrated with the whole Royce ordeal because of his talent and the fact that it makes the U look bad. However, if he does come back, it will be easy to forget everything when he's on the court doing what he does best. I don't think there is any doubt he would make this team significantly better. If Tubby takes him back, I'm going to be extremely (and cautiously) excited!!!

In light of the events of the last 8 months, I don't know that any of us can really ascertain "what he does best."

Multiple choice:

A) Playing basketball
B) Playing the "victim"
C) Causing problems on and off campus
D) Promoting his side ventures and drawing attention to himself

And no, you can't choose all of the above

Did Royce White not compromise his eligibility by promoting a night club? Was that fake? Do other programs have these type of situations? Royce has surpased Walker Ashley.

I don't think so. If the club paid him, then maybe. But I'm pretty sure it was just his own birthday party that he was promoting, which happend to be at a night club. While it could be seen as borderline advertising for "Aqua," I think he is fine. The seminal court case on this is the Jeremy Bloom case, where he argued that his modeling career was supplemental income and had nothing to do with his amateur sports career/status.

In light of the events of the last 8 months, I don't know that any of us can really ascertain "what he does best."

Multiple choice:

A) Playing basketball
B) Playing the "victim"
C) Causing problems on and off campus
D) Promoting his side ventures and drawing attention to himself

And no, you can't choose all of the above

That's a very valid point. I'm still sticking with A, followed by D, B and then C.

He's got a line of BS a mile long, so perhaps he could become a spokesman for a prominent fertilizer company?

Im not extremely familiar with eligibility requirements, so why does Royce need to take 12- 18 credits over the summer to become eligible?

He took a semester off, kids do that, and the semester he did complete he earned a GPA of like 3.33, which was one of the highest on the team. Why do a lot of people automatically assume that just because hes an athlete he doesnt care about his education/ get good grades.

And correct me if im wrong, but did he plead guilty to the MOA incident, wouldnt that be acknowledging he did something wrong.

I want him on the team. And I don't think he got a fair shake at all.

Let's not forget - White was ready to come back after the MOA and all indications were that he was going to play soon. White himself even said he thought he would be playing after the two exhibition games....

THEN

Some laptop in a dorm gets stolen, and the egotistical, media-greedy UMPD drag out a 3 month investigation for no reason other than someone that the average mpls layperson would know was walking through the place at the time. That's why he didn't play all year.

I understand why Trevor sat out all year - felony charges and trials take a very long time to move through the legal system. Laptop thefts - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LAPTOP IS RETURNED - don't take any time at all to move through the system. It is absolute pure BS, even more so when you read the ridiculous excuses the UMPD gave publicly as to why the case wasn't moving quicker, such as "people were on vacation, and witnesses wouldn't call us back." Pathetic.

You can argue that he should have been kicked off of the team for the MOA incident - or shouldn't have been recruited at all because of his past at De LaSalle. I get that. He's not the greatest person in the world based on his track record.

But he wasn't. He was recruited even after De La Salle. He was going to play after the MOA fiasco. The fact that both Tubby and the University overlooked his past and the MOA incident, and the sole reason he wasn't playing was because of the bogus laptop investigation proves the point that he didn't get a fair shake, mostly from the UMPD. I would be pissed about that if I were in his shoes too - and I can even understand why he quit with that frustration brewing.

+10000000

This could not be any more dead on

Yeah. I bet after last year's shenanigans they just love him.

royce coming back and KG unable to snatch missed FTs in the playoffs to pad his stats.
bad day all around for jake. :clap:

i did call the royce return, BTW.

royce coming back and KG unable to snatch missed FTs in the playoffs to pad his stats.

<b>baller!!!</b> I missed you. Were you in jail?

I'll cheer for RW if he comes back and flies straight. Not holding my breath. He's done nothing but act like a spoiled junior-high kid with a video camera since I've been following his exploits. He didn't get screwed by the U or Maturi or Tubby. He got screwed by himself. Then, when he was on the verge of putting it all behind him, he drops out of school. What an idiot. <b>No sympathy.</b> I vote "B" in the poll above.

Don't really give a rip about KG at this point, sorry to disappoint.

The way I look at it is, IF Royce White is going to do what is necessary to play collegiate basketball, I'd like for him to play for the University of Minnesota and not some other school. On the basketball court, he's that good, and it's more than worth the criticism that will come from people who feel it'd be a mistake to give him another chance.

Without a doubt, though, White would need to be on a short leash. He's already used two strikes, so I think it'd have to be a situation where he understood his next poor decision would be his last at the U of M. Only time will tell if White has matured from his mistakes, but the fact that he met with Coach Smith and indicated his desire to return is a positive step in the right direction. Hopefully, some time away from the game has allowed him to refocus his energy, and to realize how much he loves playing basketball. If he returns to the Gophers, I hope he's motivated to prove the doubters and critics wrong, because there will be many who are in those camps.

josh087 said:
I want him on the team. And I don't think he got a fair shake at all.

Let's not forget - White was ready to come back after the MOA and all indications were that he was going to play soon. White himself even said he thought he would be playing after the two exhibition games....

THEN

Some laptop in a dorm gets stolen, and the egotistical, media-greedy UMPD drag out a 3 month investigation for no reason other than someone that the average mpls layperson would know was walking through the place at the time. That's why he didn't play all year.

I understand why Trevor sat out all year - felony charges and trials take a very long time to move through the legal system. Laptop thefts - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LAPTOP IS RETURNED - don't take any time at all to move through the system. It is absolute pure BS, even more so when you read the ridiculous excuses the UMPD gave publicly as to why the case wasn't moving quicker, such as "people were on vacation, and witnesses wouldn't call us back." Pathetic.

You can argue that he should have been kicked off of the team for the MOA incident - or shouldn't have been recruited at all because of his past at De LaSalle. I get that. He's not the greatest person in the world based on his track record.

But he wasn't. He was recruited even after De La Salle. He was going to play after the MOA fiasco. The fact that both Tubby and the University overlooked his past and the MOA incident, and the sole reason he wasn't playing was because of the bogus laptop investigation proves the point that he didn't get a fair shake, mostly from the UMPD. I would be pissed about that if I were in his shoes too - and I can even understand why he quit with that frustration brewing.

+10000000

This could not be any more dead on

"This could not be any more dead on," because you two morons obviously know more about the case than the UMPD. Either you are not college students or the quality of education has gone down, because it is important to learn to qualify ridiculous statements. The truth is you have no idea what evidence the police have or had tying White to the incident. Neither did I or most here, but then again the rest of us aren't attacking either party. So when you open your mouth to comment next time, please think before you speak.

I really disagree with people who say Tubby shouldn't give Royce another chance. The MOA incident, very very stupid, but you know he regrets it and i bet 80 percent of people have done worse things. That was really Royce's only wrong besides dropping out. He would be the best player on the team if he is let on, and i mean cmon, what kind of stingy person doesn't give another person a 2nd chance? Yes he needs to apologize and get his credits back on track, but I mean really, no second chance? Thats low class.

<b>baller!!!</b> I missed you. Were you in jail?

I'll cheer for RW if he comes back and flies straight. Not holding my breath. He's done nothing but act like a spoiled junior-high kid with a video camera since I've been following his exploits. He didn't get screwed by the U or Maturi or Tubby. He got screwed by himself. Then, when he was on the verge of putting it all behind him, he drops out of school. What an idiot. <b>No sympathy.</b> I vote "B" in the poll above.

Don't really give a rip about KG at this point, sorry to disappoint.
+ MANY
Royce made his bed over and over, its time that he sleeps in it.

I really disagree with people who say Tubby shouldn't give Royce another chance. The MOA incident, very very stupid, but you know he regrets it and i bet 80 percent of people have done worse things. That was really Royce's only wrong besides dropping out. He would be the best player on the team if he is let on, and i mean cmon, what kind of stingy person doesn't give another person a 2nd chance? Yes he needs to apologize and get his credits back on track, but I mean really, no second chance? Thats low class.

:rolleyes:

This could not be any more dead on," because you two morons obviously know more about the case than the UMPD. Either you are not college students or the quality of education has gone down, because it is important to learn to qualify ridiculous statements. The truth is you have no idea what evidence the police have or had tying White to the incident. Neither did I or most here, but then again the rest of us aren't attacking either party. So when you open your mouth to comment next time, please think before you speak.

Please. Don't act all high and noble.

Do you honestly believe if Royce hadn't been in the building they would have dragged out this case 3 months after the laptop was returned to try to find out who did it?

Do you actually think they would have pursued a case at all? Who were the other suspects? Were they questioned? Why not have a 3 month investigation for every petty crime on campus then, if that really is their standard procedure.

Do you honestly think they would have pursued a trespassing charge for someone OTHER than RW that they had as a possible suspect? Why not hand out trespassing charges to anyone who sticks their head into a dorm room, then?

Please tell me you don't believe any of this. Please. I mean, you can't possibly believe they would have acted this way, can you????

Here's the sticking point, though
Think about it this way: Why would they pursue the trespassing charge? The only conclusion is that they were worried how it would look in the media's eyes if after 3 months they all of a sudden said "Royce did nothing wrong in this case." There would have been outrage. "How could you let this go 3 months?" "What were you doing the whole time." By pursuing the trespassing the UMPD are basically admitting that they are swayed by outside factors in this case. And since they are swayed by outside factors, the way they handled the case is inherently biased. And since Royce didn't steal the laptop, it makes his treatment in this case IMO unfair.

Even if you believe the UMPD acted totally appropriately when investigating this case, and they would have done the same for any stolen item or any other suspect - you can't get past the fact that only after they "decided" he was no longer a suspect in the returned laptop did they charge him with trespassing.

I am as cynical as any on this board when it comes to athlete's behavior. I don't think Royce is a great kid - he has made some mistakes, and you can easily make a case that he shouldn't be on the team.

My point is that since Tubby and the U looked past De La Salle, AND since they looked past MOA, the only reason he isn't on the team right now is the laptop fiasco. And since I find it hard to believe you can read my argument and not come to the conclusion that RW was treated differently than anyone else would have in this case, IMO he got a raw deal. You don't have to know every fact about this case to be able to reach this logical conclusion.

Im not extremely familiar with eligibility requirements, so why does Royce need to take 12- 18 credits over the summer to become eligible?

He took a semester off, kids do that, and the semester he did complete he earned a GPA of like 3.33, which was one of the highest on the team. Why do a lot of people automatically assume that just because hes an athlete he doesnt care about his education/ get good grades.

And correct me if im wrong, but did he plead guilty to the MOA incident, wouldnt that be acknowledging he did something wrong.

Eligibility has more to do with credits then GPA. I think you only need to maintain a 2.0 to stay eligible but you need to be on track to graduate, credits wise, within a 5 year period in order to maintain your eligibility. I would assume that he only took 12 credits or even less his first semester(most frosh athletes do this) and then would have taken more this semester and made up the rest in the summer. Since he has missed a whole semester, he is likely 12-18 credits behind and thus may not be eligible. I never took summer school, so I dont know, but can you make up that many credits in a summer?

Don't even start up with the crap about KG padding his rebounding stats with missed FTs. I guess he's supposed to just wait until the other team gets the ball, right? I guess none of the other leading rebounders in the league get rebounds from missed FTs, right?

In what sense has Royce returned? All that's changed is that he's asked to return to the team. Everyone knew that was coming, but I guess you can give yourself props for that if you want.

"This could not be any more dead on," because you two morons obviously know more about the case than the UMPD. Either you are not college students or the quality of education has gone down, because it is important to learn to qualify ridiculous statements. The truth is you have no idea what evidence the police have or had tying White to the incident. Neither did I or most here, but then again the rest of us aren't attacking either party. So when you open your mouth to comment next time, please think before you speak

Additionally, please reply back with facts on how my opinion of something is ridiculous when you admitted you don't know any more information than I do.

For example if I said that 3+3 was equal to 7, and you admittedly didn't know whether 3+3 was or was not equal to 7, then how can you assert that my initial thought of 3+3=7 was ridiculous? This is basically what you are saying in the above post.

The truth is you didn't like my opinion, but didn't know how to prove it incorrect, (and worse had no opinion or thought as to why it was incorrect) so you threw out a bunch of harsh statements.

I will await your response.

the only reason he isn't on the team right now is the laptop fiasco

<b>NO, NO, NO. WRONG!!</b> The only reason he (RW) isn't on the team is because he quit school a week before everything was settled. Period. End of story.

Well, now we need Royce. With Cory, we had the type of dynamite scorer who could make Royce expendable. Now, I think Tubby needs to think seriously about letting Royce back.

"This could not be any more dead on," because you two morons obviously know more about the case than the UMPD. Either you are not college students or the quality of education has gone down, because it is important to learn to qualify ridiculous statements. The truth is you have no idea what evidence the police have or had tying White to the incident. Neither did I or most here, but then again the rest of us aren't attacking either party. So when you open your mouth to comment next time, please think before you speak.

Josh constructed an argument that has a number of valid points, and I agreed with it. You came back and attacked both of us adding no substance to the discussion. I could be wrong, but I think there are numerous indicators (many of which Josh has discussed) that indicate that Royce got a raw deal in the investigation.

You give UMPD the benefit of the doubt. Why?

I would be very interested to hear your opinions/arguments (if you have any) rather than name calling and blathering.

Please. Don't act all high and noble.

Do you honestly believe if Royce hadn't been in the building they would have dragged out this case 3 months after the laptop was returned to try to find out who did it?

Do you actually think they would have pursued a case at all? Who were the other suspects? Were they questioned? Why not have a 3 month investigation for every petty crime on campus then, if that really is their standard procedure.

Do you honestly think they would have pursued a trespassing charge for someone OTHER than RW that they had as a possible suspect? Why not hand out trespassing charges to anyone who sticks their head into a dorm room, then?

Please tell me you don't believe any of this. Please. I mean, you can't possibly believe they would have acted this way, can you????

Here's the sticking point, though
Think about it this way: Why would they pursue the trespassing charge? The only conclusion is that they were worried how it would look in the media's eyes if after 3 months they all of a sudden said "Royce did nothing wrong in this case." There would have been outrage. "How could you let this go 3 months?" "What were you doing the whole time." By pursuing the trespassing the UMPD are basically admitting that they are swayed by outside factors in this case. And since they are swayed by outside factors, the way they handled the case is inherently biased. And since Royce didn't steal the laptop, it makes his treatment in this case IMO unfair.

Even if you believe the UMPD acted totally appropriately when investigating this case, and they would have done the same for any stolen item or any other suspect - you can't get past the fact that only after they "decided" he was no longer a suspect in the returned laptop did they charge him with trespassing.

I am as cynical as any on this board when it comes to athlete's behavior. I don't think Royce is a great kid - he has made some mistakes, and you can easily make a case that he shouldn't be on the team.

My point is that since Tubby and the U looked past De La Salle, AND since they looked past MOA, the only reason he isn't on the team right now is the laptop fiasco. And since I find it hard to believe you can read my argument and not come to the conclusion that RW was treated differently than anyone else would have in this case, IMO he got a raw deal. You don't have to know every fact about this case to be able to reach this logical conclusion.[/QUOT

Royce White was treated differently. BECAUSE he was a basketball player at the U, he wasn't charged with assault in the MOA incident. ANYONE who saw the tape saw an assault according to MN State Statues. Look it up Mr conspiracy. While you are looking that up look what the law says regarding burglary. White should have been charged with a felony not trespassing. Again White lucks out.

White runs with a bunch of cling on "friends", that are hoping for White to make it to the NBA, thus sharing the wealth with them. White believes they are friends but the majority of mature people, (Not you of course Mr Conspiracy), realize White is listening to and following the wrong crowd. Sad thing is White probably won't realize this until white is too old to play basketball or is in prison. There could be a time where the prosecutor or judge will say White has had enough breaks and will hold White accountable for what he has done.

White has had his chances and blew them. Give the scholarship to someone who wants it and deserves it. If White comes back and I was a teammate, I would make sure I locked my locker.

Royce White was treated differently. BECAUSE he was a basketball player at the U, he wasn't charged with assault in the MOA incident. ANYONE who saw the tape saw an assault according to MN State Statues. Look it up Mr conspiracy. While you are looking that up look what the law says regarding burglary. White should have been charged with a felony not trespassing. Again White lucks out.

White runs with a bunch of cling on "friends", that are hoping for White to make it to the NBA, thus sharing the wealth with them. White believes they are friends but the majority of mature people, (Not you of course Mr Conspiracy), realize White is listening to and following the wrong crowd. Sad thing is White probably won't realize this until white is too old to play basketball or is in prison. There could be a time where the prosecutor or judge will say White has had enough breaks and will hold White accountable for what he has done.

White has had his chances and blew them. Give the scholarship to someone who wants it and deserves it. If White comes back and I was a teammate, I would make sure I locked my locker.

NO, NO, NO. WRONG!! The only reason he (RW) isn't on the team is because he quit school a week before everything was settled. Period. End of story

Yes, he quit. But he quit Because the UMPD refused to close his case and dragged it out for 3 months. He was frustrated. You can't argue that without the 3 month investigation into nothing, he would have resumed playing. He even admitted as much. Who knows how much longer the UMPD would have investigated it had he not quit the team?

Royce White was treated differently.

So you agree he was treated differently. Thank you.

BECAUSE he was a basketball player at the U, he wasn't charged with assault in the MOA incident. ANYONE who saw the tape saw an assault according to MN State Statues. Look it up Mr conspiracy.QUOTE]

I never said anything about the MOA incident. What point of mine are you trying to refute?

Although, since you wanted me to look it up - here you go. Please review the four links below on the MN statues on assault. He would have been charged with a misdemeanor at best. Unless somehow you think he used a "dangerous weapon," intended "deadly force," or "substancial bodily harm." If that is the case, perhaps you can prove the physics of the JFK magic bullet. Again, you don't know what you are talking about and provide no substance for your argument.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.221&year=2009&keyword_type=all&keyword=assault
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.222&year=2009&keyword_type=all&keyword=assault
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.223&year=2009&keyword_type=all&keyword=assault
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes...word=assault&keyword_type=all&keyword=assault

While you are looking that up look what the law says regarding burglary. White should have been charged with a felony not trespassing. Again White lucks out.[/

Just so I can prove your total ignorance, here you go. ***Unless you can tell me that the Clothing store is a dwelling, contains controlled substances, is a financial entity, is a government entity, or that White had a dangerous weapon or explosives,*** Misdemeanor at best.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.582&year=2009&keyword_type=all&keyword=burglary

Is this a joke? Nevermind the fact that this isn't in the slightest bit illegal, not even the judge from "My Cousin Vinny" would make such an asanine decision, let alone the fact that White actually has to do something illegal in the future to even bring up the remote chance that this will happen. Until it actually does, your point means nothing anyway.

Never mind the fact that you failed to address any of my original points - are there any other statements you would like to make on the matter?

Who knows how much longer the UMPD would have investigated it had he not quit the team?

Do you want to buy some cheap oceanfront property in Kansas? I have some. Cheap. We can do the deal tonight.

Top Bottom